RANGE? Immersion 600mw tx, with Spironets

OI Photography said:
havasuphoto said:
So, how do you mount the Duo? Seems like it should come with some sort of mount for something?

Just Velcro. A 1"x3" patch of it is more than enough for my Uno.

Yep, velcro is what I use.

havasuphoto said:
Is this the one you have; http://www.getfpv.com/5-8ghz-uno-a-v-receiver.html
Is that the same as the one 2trick is using?
I see different ones.......some for $69, and some for over $200!!! Also-I noticed on one, that the frequencies weren't even close to the ones we use. They had something like 5783, instead of 5780.
Also-is some countries, they're frequencies end in 05, instead of 00.

Remember, the UNO is single channel and the DUO is diversity (2channel)
Dont worry about the frequencies, they match up perfectly with the IRC600mW.

^^What he said. The Uno I have works great (esp for the price), but the Duo does give you full diversity with 2 antennae...you just need to decide if that's crucial enough to you to justify the price difference. I don't need longer-range coverage for FPV, so the Uno is fine for me.

OI Photography said:
^^What he said. The Uno I have works great (esp for the price), but the Duo does give you full diversity with 2 antennae...you just need to decide if that's crucial enough to you to justify the price difference. I don't need longer-range coverage for FPV, so the Uno is fine for me.

I think the Uno is great for the money, certainly better than the BP built in receiver.

2trickpony said:
OI Photography said:

I think the Uno is great for the money, certainly better than the BP built in receiver.
Thanks-I'm not going to may $240 for one though.....
I am still looking forward to Helical antennae tests, though. I think we've determined that the Immersion Patch antenna isn't any improvement over the Immersion CP antenna's.

Here's a question for you smart guys; can you use 1 CP that is "right-hand", with another, say on the receiver, that is "left-hand"?
Also-is Cloverleaf the same as Circular Polarizing?
Basically, I have a Generic(cheap) CP antenna on my transmitter now. It's RP-SMA, and came with the right angle adapter built-in, and seems to work well.
So, I either have to replace that with something better, OR, replace the 2 Immersion CP(red cable), antenna's I have on the receiver. I don't know if the one on the transmitter is right or left handed-but, everything seems to work fine, except in a turn, or "off-axis" where the frame blocks the signal-I'm trying to eliminate that problem.

I think the Uno is great for the money, certainly better than the BP built in receiver.[/quote]
Thanks-I'm not going to may $240 for one though.....

Your getting mixed up, the Uno is only around $60.

So I just flew out 750m, I had both the black pearl and my Uno5800 running on another monitor. I decided to take my antenna of my vRx on the Uno5800, just for testing purposes, and lo-and-behold.... still holds a better signal then the black pearl. Just got to say the IRC stuff is gold. Waiting for my helical to come in tomorrow. If that doesn't fix it, there's gonna be a black pearl and a flysight vTx for sale. :D

Jaybee said:
Looking forward to trying the Black Hawk gear and getting the courage to try some long range flying going forward, I never intended too but seem to have caught something from somewhere : )

In transit:

• - Black Hawk Nimrod 5.8 GHz x2
    - Black Hawk Micro 5.8 GHz 9 dB

You should get great reception with all that. Some of the flyers here are taking long range flying with the Phantom to new levels. I can get 'acceptable' video with just the stock black antennas - careful placement of them on the aircraft and ground lets me go out to 500 meters or so. I added the higher end antennas because I ran into a couple of areas where I just couldn't get reliable reception with the stock ones. Location makes a big difference.

havasuphoto said:
Here's a question for you smart guys; can you use 1 CP that is "right-hand", with another, say on the receiver, that is "left-hand"?
Also-is Cloverleaf the same as Circular Polarizing?
Basically, I have a Generic(cheap) CP antenna on my transmitter now. It's RP-SMA, and came with the right angle adapter built-in, and seems to work well.
So, I either have to replace that with something better, OR, replace the 2 Immersion CP(red cable), antenna's I have on the receiver. I don't know if the one on the transmitter is right or left handed-but, everything seems to work fine, except in a turn, or "off-axis" where the frame blocks the signal-I'm trying to eliminate that problem.

I'm no pro, and someone please correct if I'm wrong, but you can only use antennas with matching polarizations, left and left, right and right. As for the rest of the question, I'm still trying to figure that one out too. Someone?

Cloverleaf antennas are examples of circular polarization. Helicals are, too.

They should be matched (right to right, left to left). If they aren't, you might still get reception but it won't be optimized (if it works at all).

While it isn't an elegant test, if your antennas are working better than one of the black rubber sticks, then they are likely similarly polarized.

Oh.. and it helps to buy them in sets (which is normal) because many ads for the cheaper ones don't specify whether they are left or right hand. When they are covered, you can't tell. If they are not covered, if the wires rotate to the right from the base towards the top, then they are right-hand... and vice-versa.

ladykate said:
Cloverleaf antennas are examples of circular polarization. Helicals are, too.

They should be matched (right to right, left to left). If they aren't, you might still get reception but it won't be optimized (if it works at all).

While it isn't an elegant test, if your antennas are working better than one of the black rubber sticks, then they are likely similarly polarized.

+1

havasuphoto said:
I got those, because my VTX is RP-SMA, and my receiver is SMA-so this set matched perfectly.
I'm still using the 1, on my VTX, but use the 2 Right hand CP's on the receiver. It works.....

If both are right hand on your dual rx then it is certain the one on the aircraft is right hand (or a stick covered in round plastic :) )

The polarization eliminates reception of bounced signals - once a signal bounces, it changes polarity and the polarized antenna will reject first bounces (and third but by then it doesn't matter). This makes the signal much cleaner than with stick antennas. Following that thought, if the signal leaves the antenna left-hand polarized then the right hand polarized rx will treat it as a bounce and attenuate it - basically only receiving signals that actually did bounce ( confusing yet?). That would make opposite polarized antennas appear very noisy since the major thing getting in is a ground bounce which will be significantly weaker.

Yea, that makes sense.
But, how many Left Hand polarizing antenna's have you seen? I think RHCP is pretty much standard.
Here's the interesting thing though; I did place 1 of those Immersion RC, RHCP antenna's on my transmitter. It required an SMA to RP-SMA adapter, which places it outside the landing gear leg, and alongside, and opposite my RC antenna.
I would get to about 300 or 400 meters, and it would enter FS. The video signal was great.....but I couldn't handle all the FS stuff, so i took it off, and put the cheap one back on.
I'm thinking of getting an SMA 90 degree adapter. So, I'll have the SMA to RP-SMA, then the 90 degree adapter on there. IF, the 90 degree adapter ever get back in stock. But-I think that may place the antenna below the landing gear.....

So, it's a "conundrum" of sorts. I need an RP-SMA antenna. And, I don't want to buy another set of Spironets RHCP, RP-SMA antenna's, just to use the 1, on the VTX.

havasuphoto said:
Yea, that makes sense.
But, how many Left Hand polarizing antenna's have you seen? I think RHCP is pretty much standard.
Here's the interesting thing though; I did place 1 of those Immersion RC, RHCP antenna's on my transmitter. It required an SMA to RP-SMA adapter, which places it outside the landing gear leg, and alongside, and opposite my RC antenna.
I would get to about 300 or 400 meters, and it would enter FS. The video signal was great.....but I couldn't handle all the FS stuff, so i took it off, and put the cheap one back on.
I'm thinking of getting an SMA 90 degree adapter. So, I'll have the SMA to RP-SMA, then the 90 degree adapter on there. IF, the 90 degree adapter ever get back in stock. But-I think that may place the antenna below the landing gear.....

So, it's a "conundrum" of sorts. I need an RP-SMA antenna. And, I don't want to buy another set of Spironets RHCP, RP-SMA antenna's, just to use the 1, on the VTX.

would one of these work? If you're from the US, I picked up a 90 degree SMA adapter at RadioShack. A little pricier than Ebay but it worked.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid= ... &_from=R40

thongbong said:
havasuphoto said:
Yea, that makes sense.

would one of these work? If you're from the US, I picked up a 90 degree SMA adapter at RadioShack. A little pricier than Ebay but it worked.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid= ... &_from=R40
Yea...I've just been to lazy to order one. Also, I have never found an RP-SMA on one end, 90 degree bend, then an SMA on the other end, connector....don't think they even make them. That would be ideal.

leekawey said:
Regarding the tx mounting position. I did mount it to the back like most people. But I had issue while I coming back from long distance like 2000m. Now I have moved my tx and let the spironet coming out from the right side compass side. Problem solved! 360' at distance of 2000m. Check the compass reading no problem at all. Highly recommend to everyone.

I have the same set-up and tried this. Added about 250m to my range - now around 800 or so and less interference when I turn around.

Thanks for the advice.

leekawey wrote:Regarding the tx mounting position. I did mount it to the back like most people. But I had issue while I coming back from long distance like 2000m. Now I have moved my tx and let the spironet coming out from the right side compass side. Problem solved! 360' at distance of 2000m. Check the compass reading no problem at all. Highly recommend to everyone.
image.jpg
I can't find this post, with the picture...can someone help me out? what page is this on?

havasuphoto said:
leekawey wrote:Regarding the tx mounting position. I did mount it to the back like most people. But I had issue while I coming back from long distance like 2000m. Now I have moved my tx and let the spironet coming out from the right side compass side. Problem solved! 360' at distance of 2000m. Check the compass reading no problem at all. Highly recommend to everyone.
image.jpg
I can't find this post, with the picture...can someone help me out? what page is this on?

best antenna position! 100% tested!

Attachments

• IMG_4879.PNG
    IMG_4879.PNG
    187.3 KB · Views: 403

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member