RANGE? Immersion 600mw tx, with Spironets

nzvideoguys said:
ianwood said:
Trust me, it's not the Black Pearl. It's the ImmersionRC 600. It is only compatible with a very small set of receivers. Multiple people have had exactly the same problem with the Immersion and the receiver in the Lilliput 664w.

Ian, if the ImmersionRC 600 is only compatible with a small set of receivers, then what model/brand are those receivers? We have two of the 600s here in NZ, bought by two separate friends, and the reception using this rx is pretty much crap,
exactly like we're seeing in goldfishrock's video. http://youtu.be/Wa2XSgCEQwo
http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index. ... ts_id=1058

We're mulling over what rx to buy to solve this problem. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
A lot has to do with where you have your antenna mounted on the aircraft-upload some picture of that.

nzvideoguys said:
Ian, if the ImmersionRC 600 is only compatible with a small set of receivers, then what model/brand are those receivers?

The Chinese vtx systems use a different set of frequencies. Those that have three or four bands will usually work with the Immersion systems but most who use them complain about the quality. Specifically, the Black Pearl and other Diversity receivers can detect the Immersion but don't seem to do well with it. The Uno receiver picks it up just fine, though.

The Immersion tx and Fatshark receivers usually use 5740, 5760, 5780, 5800, 5820, 5840, 5860MHz

The Chinese systems use 5865M, 5845M, 5825M, 5805M, 5785M, 5765M, 5745M, 5725MHz but also some (not all) use the above freqs, too (and other bands).

Generally, it is best to use the same brand tx/rx if possible but stick with Chinese (Boscam/Black Pearl or other diversity rx) or Immersion/Fatshark in both tx and rx if possible and you will usually get good luck. As was said, positioning of antennas and the type of antennas are important.

Hey I have a few ec3 3s lipo laying around. Can I power my BP monitor with one of those? If so what kind of viewing time will I get?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ladykate said:
nzvideoguys said:
Ian, if the ImmersionRC 600 is only compatible with a small set of receivers, then what model/brand are those receivers?

The Chinese vtx systems use a different set of frequencies. Those that have three or four bands will usually work with the Immersion systems but most who use them complain about the quality. Specifically, the Black Pearl and other Diversity receivers can detect the Immersion but don't seem to do well with it. The Uno receiver picks it up just fine, though.

The Immersion tx and Fatshark receivers usually use 5740, 5760, 5780, 5800, 5820, 5840, 5860MHz

The Chinese systems use 5865M, 5845M, 5825M, 5805M, 5785M, 5765M, 5745M, 5725MHz but also some (not all) use the above freqs, too (and other bands).

Generally, it is best to use the same brand tx/rx if possible but stick with Chinese (Boscam/Black Pearl or other diversity rx) or Immersion/Fatshark in both tx and rx if possible and you will usually get good luck. As was said, positioning of antennas and the type of antennas are important.
Good explanation. What I see a lot is a mis-match of frequencies. For example; you can have your VTX on 5745 and your receiver on 5740, and still get video-but not for any great distance.
I've chosen to go with 5705, and use the Chinese TS832 and a generic 32ch monitor-also set on that frequency. I spend a lot of time testing the F band-and for me, in my area, the range is around 1/5th what I get with the non-airwave frequencies.

hmmm... makes sense! Does anyone know exactly what frequencies the DJI AVL-58 works under?

d4ddyo said:
hmmm... makes sense! Does anyone know exactly what frequencies the DJI AVL-58 works under?
Yea, the 05 frequencies-non F band/non airwave. I think it has 8 channels
I don't know what else uses the airwave frequencies-but I'm just saturated with static here from that band.
One caveat with the AVL58-it's heavy. Compare the weight with the Immersion or the TS832...and, it's big and has a fan-so might use more electricity. I think it's only 500mw....but, I went with the smaller lighter TS832 on my new P2Z because I have 1 on the Phantom 1-and have gone out 1.6KM with video....
However, if you plan on having a "plug and play" solution-then your only is the FPV hub and AVL58..no soldering needed.

havasuphoto said:
d4ddyo said:
I don't know what else uses the airwave frequencies-but I'm just saturated with static here from that band.
One caveat with the AVL58-it's heavy. Compare the weight with the Immersion or the TS832...and, it's big and has a fan-so might use more electricity. I think it's only 500mw....but, I went with the smaller lighter TS832 on my new P2Z because I have 1 on the Phantom 1-and have gone out 1.6KM with video....
However, if you plan on having a "plug and play" solution-then your only is the FPV hub and AVL58..no soldering needed.

I suspect that is my issue. If you have that problem in AZ... i'm sure here in the middle of NJ. Although the FPV hub has provisions for other transmitters. I think I can splice into the included ribbon adapter/cable and use the immersion? I guess next paycheck I'll try the immersion... also means I will need a new rx monitor (I'm using the boscam 5802)?

d4ddyo said:
havasuphoto said:
d4ddyo said:

I suspect that is my issue. If you have that problem in AZ... i'm sure here in the middle of NJ. Although the FPV hub has provisions for other transmitters. I think I can splice into the included ribbon adapter/cable and use the immersion? I guess next paycheck I'll try the immersion... also means I will need a new rx monitor (I'm using the boscam 5802)?
If you currently have a 32 channel video TX/RX, then you can just select one of the non-airwave frequencies. Those with 32 channels includes everything...
And yea, you will need to splice and use the other plug on the FPV hub. But-the cool thing for me with the FPV hub is the ability to turn off the iOSD Mini display, when I want to broadcast my video live on the internet for certain events....

Back to the original topic!

I had a 600mw Immersion tx and spironet attached, BP with one spironet and one rubber ducky. Antenna mounted poking to the rear and bent so that it is facing down. Got 150-175m out of this setup ,which was disappointing.

Added a TBS patch antenna (all of £10) with everything else untouched and have had the quad out to over 1.1km with pretty solid video when the RTH was triggered.

For me, it's all about the antennae!

havasuphoto said:
I'm not sure that's the case. In this video, in the first six minutes or so, the fellow talks about pairing a Lilliput monitor with the Immersion RC 600mW tx, and points out that you can order a "plug and play" cable that eliminates the need for soldering: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsQGDOBBNfc

canadavenyc said:
havasuphoto said:
I'm not sure that's the case. In this video, in the first six minutes or so, the fellow talks about pairing a Lilliput monitor with the Immersion RC 600mW tx, and points out that you can order a "plug and play" cable that eliminates the need for soldering: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsQGDOBBNfc

With my first P2 (which is now spare parts), I looked at a cable kit - found some - several have come out but have also gone back into hiding. Ended up soldering in the system on that one. Right now the only one I can find that is solderless is the AV58 one. I bought one for yet another reason (for another machine I was building) but decided to try the plug and play on the current P2 and put the old P2 system (TS832) on the new build. The AV58 is definitely heavier but only a few grams - the plug and play board works like a champ. Only took about 15 minutes to hook up FPV - and that was from starting with the instructions. Could be done in 1/3 that time.

And I now agree that antennas are the key - along with good placement and matched vrx/vtx and you have a fine system. I've gotten 600 meters with rubber ducky antennas - although it wasn't pretty. A helical and a cloverleaf (matched polarization) will make a solid system with range well beyond 1000 meters.

Got my first flight out to just about 1km. Had to stop (and it was a good thing) because it was so windy I was uncomfortable with the way the P2 was getting buffeted. That's when I noticed it seems the Phantom was barely moving on the way back. I'd gone the whole way out down wind, and now was having a heck of a time coming back upwind. FPV was pretty good/fair at that distance.

This morning, the wind was still blowing pretty hard and in the same direction, so I went the other way figuring it would be much easier to come back. Got to about 830 m out and lost FPV signal. I could see the P2 as a small black dot only because the overcast provided enough contrast. My LOS was just clipping the tree line which was causing signal loss. So I bumped it up to 150 m. The video was fine and I wanted to tilt my gimbal down to see what was directly below me. No response. I tried to Yaw around. Nothing. Couldn't figure out what was happening. Then all of a sudden the Phantom spun on its own and started heading back. I could see on the IOSD display it was in Return to Home mode. First time I'd ever seen that. I let it come all the way back and hit ATI/GPS to get control back (the takeoff spot was right near the fence). It was pretty cool. Unfortunately, my DVR didn't record the event so I could see when it lost radio control.

jondrew said:
Got my first flight out to just about 1km. Had to stop (and it was a good thing) because it was so windy I was uncomfortable with the way the P2 was getting buffeted. That's when I noticed it seems the Phantom was barely moving on the way back. I'd gone the whole way out down wind, and now was having a heck of a time coming back upwind. FPV was pretty good/fair at that distance.

This morning, the wind was still blowing pretty hard and in the same direction, so I went the other way figuring it would be much easier to come back. Got to about 830 m out and lost FPV signal. I could see the P2 as a small black dot only because the overcast provided enough contrast. My LOS was just clipping the tree line which was causing signal loss. So I bumped it up to 150 m. The video was fine and I wanted to tilt my gimbal down to see what was directly below me. No response. I tried to Yaw around. Nothing. Couldn't figure out what was happening. Then all of a sudden the Phantom spun on its own and started heading back. I could see on the IOSD display it was in Return to Home mode. First time I'd ever seen that. I let it come all the way back and hit ATI/GPS to get control back (the takeoff spot was right near the fence). It was pretty cool. Unfortunately, my DVR didn't record the event so I could see when it lost radio control.

Sweet! That's good news. Means your matching your video feed distance to control distance. Maybe it's time you think about doing the controller mod?

So, i have the BP 32ch and immerion 600 with immersion/fs v2 slironets and gets max 400m.
Yesterday i made my own 5turn helical and went out 1500m with perfect picture all the way, then FS kicked in.
I did a full 360 at 1400 with no glitches, very imressed wirh rhis antenna.

Is my v2`s bad you think? I mean they go black at 400meters and my $1helical gets me 1500?! And could go further for sure!

inzane1000 said:
So, i have the BP 32ch and immerion 600 with immersion/fs v2 slironets and gets max 400m.
Yesterday i made my own 5turn helical and went out 1500m with perfect picture all the way, then FS kicked in.

Is my v2`s bad you think? I mean they go black at 400meters and my $1helical gets me 1500?! And could go further for sure!

I have the same crap with v2 spiros. I think mine are bad. Waiting on a pinwheel and my monitor receiver replacement. Can't wait to try.

I have the red stalk Spironets, and got 1.6KM of good video. But, off axis it would drop off. I have my antenna on the VTX out to the side(there's a picture a few pages back)......
I don't know if mine are V1 or V2...both are SMA connectors, but the 1 that is mounted to the VTX has an RP-SMA adapter on it.

What's the "diameter" of usable directional area for your helical? How many degree's?

inzane1000 said:

If you can make your own helical, try making your own clover leaf and skew planar. I make all my own antennas now and it seems they surely work better than the v2's

havasuphoto said:
I have the red stalk Spironets, and got 1.6KM of good video. But, off axis it would drop off. I have my antenna on the VTX out to the side(there's a picture a few pages back)......
I don't know if mine are V1 or V2...both are SMA connectors, but the 1 that is mounted to the VTX has an RP-SMA adapter on it.

What's the "diameter" of usable directional area for your helical? How many degree's?

What dies that mean? Lol. I have circular wireless Helical Antenna 12dBi, 5645-5945MHz, right hand circular polarization

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 462
That helical is what I have. It is excellent. It is also almost a work of art. The beam width is 60 degrees. Dead easy to keep aimed at the aircraft. I use a diversity with a rubber ducky as the other antenna (or a skew planar). No breakup of signal with either Fatshark, DJI or other Chinese transmitters.

ladykate said:
That helical is what I have. It is excellent. It is also almost a work of art. The beam width is 60 degrees. Dead easy to keep aimed at the aircraft. I use a diversity with a rubber ducky as the other antenna (or a skew planar). No breakup of signal with either Fatshark, DJI or other Chinese transmitters.

When you mean a rubber ducky as the "other" antenna... you mean at the Tx Side?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT