RANGE? Immersion 600mw tx, with Spironets

Or do we just say to hell with it and buy a LightBridge :lol:

The signal break-up on the video may be down to the fact that at 800m+ the P2 is disappearing over the hill. You can't really see it in the videos but the ground is actually gently sloping up. If I flew it higher I think it wouldn't be quite as bad as that.

I agree with Ian, I don't think the Black Pearl is the problem, the IRC600 is clearly worse from the start with static, interference lines etc. If you look at the Fatshark 250 videos it's nowhere near as bad. I'd be interested to repeat with one of the other 400 / 500mw transmitters just to see.

2trickpony said:
Lightbridge is nice..... but seriously expensive!

goldfishrock said:
The signal break-up on the video may be down to the fact that at 800m+ the P2 is disappearing over the hill. You can't really see it in the videos but the ground is actually gently sloping up. If I flew it higher I think it wouldn't be quite as bad as that.

I agree with Ian, I don't think the Black Pearl is the problem, the IRC600 is clearly worse from the start with static, interference lines etc. If you look at the Fatshark 250 videos it's nowhere near as bad. I'd be interested to repeat with one of the other 400 / 500mw transmitters just to see.

2trickpony said:
Lightbridge is nice..... but seriously expensive!

Yes you are right, the immersionRC 250mw video looks better yes. ;)

Waiting for your test with the immersionRC rx.

Fantastic review Goldfish. Way beyond the call of duty so thanks very much for these tests. The 250 is the winner over the 600. Flew my rig again today and got total loss at around 450m. Conditions and line of sight could not have been better. Quadcopters advertise the 600 with black pearl and spiros as the very best you can get at the moment. These test results show that is not the case. I am certainly going to make changes.

GhostMaster said:
The 250mw version works fine right?

The 250mW seems to work with everything that uses the same frequencies, yes.

Shrimpfarmer said:
Fantastic review Goldfish. Way beyond the call of duty so thanks very much for these tests. The 250 is the winner over the 600. Flew my rig again today and got total loss at around 450m. Conditions and line of sight could not have been better. Quadcopters advertise the 600 with black pearl and spiros as the very best you can get at the moment. These test results show that is not the case. I am certainly going to make changes.

Agreed. Great review. One thing to note: the most important thing other than having compatible equipment is the placement of it on the P2. The further apart you can get the 5.8GHz vTX from the 2.4GHz receiver antennas, the better both will work. I currently have my vTX inside the P2 with the antenna coming out of the bottom but I am going to move it. I want to find a nice slim CF mounting plate that will stick out from the back to mount the vTX and antenna. Trick is a mounting plate that still allows easy access to the battery that is super lightweight.

nwillitts said:
i have the 600mw version-it works great-with spironets.

It's not the antennas that are the issue. It's the receiver. Which are you using?

ianwood said:
Trick is a mounting plate that still allows easy access to the battery that is super lightweight.

If you find one, do let me know. I am looking for the same. The problem seems to be battery access as you've pointed out. Most of the ones I've seen so far really don't allow for easy access.

These real world tests are interesting but the overall picture is still very confusing. Some are getting good performance and some are not.

As someone who is about to go for Quadcopter.co.uk P2 FPV combo I am now hesitant. Hope this thread continues a while yet.

What would be really good is if someone who has a Immersion 600 and black pearl who gets good range will also post a video with telemetry?

Any takers?

Not had a chance to push mine too far out as yet (due to location) but I have
not really experienced any problems up to 200m.

I do have a TrueRC 5.8 Crosshair on the Black Pearl, this seems to be active for almost
all of the flights, with an occasional switchover to the Spironet.

I flew with another member last weekend, and he did comment my BP picture seemed
more stable than when he flew with Shrimpfarmer and his BP the previous weekend

I am a bit short of time at the moment, but I do have an Immersion RC 5800 Duo V2 I could
try should I need a comparison

Dave

Attachments

• DSC01851 (1).jpg
    DSC01851 (1).jpg
    169 KB · Views: 474
If you get the time at somepoint Dave, that would be great :)

What would be really good is if someone who has a Immersion 600 and black pearl who gets good range will also post a video with telemetry?
Any takers?

I posted one (over 3000m) and then made it private as I didn't want to catch attention from authorities, flying too far and that area...
ImmersionRC 600 + Black pearl + Stock DJI radio and receiver. Gopro footage + iosd mini recording.
I can give url and password to those interested (PM only).

mitchsden said:

I do have a TrueRC 5.8 Crosshair on the Black Pearl, this seems to be active for almost

I flew with another member last weekend, and he did comment my BP picture seemed

I am a bit short of time at the moment, but I do have an Immersion RC 5800 Duo V2 I could

Dave

That sounds encouraging Dave. Any chance you could film a test similar to the others posted here. I am itching to ditch some of my components to improve matters.

As another person commented on the price, what about the mostly true phrase "you get what u pay for"?

How can DJI charge so much more for their VTX kit but Blackpearl can sell a monitor, battery AND VRX for much cheaper?

Why are DJI and other manufactures charging so much more? Is the quality of the transmission better? Or are they just getting away with a very high profit margin?

Lots of questions I know :)

Sure people are getting great results with the cheap blackpearl, Boscam kit but perhaps they are flying in optimum conditions. The more expensive kit may have higher tolerance to less favourable conditions thus work better in most real life cases?

Shrimpfarmer said:
mitchsden said:

Dave

That sounds encouraging Dave. Any chance you could film a test similar to the others posted here. I am itching to ditch some of my components to improve matters.

I will see what I can do, I am off to California next week, but I may have a some spare time
over the weekend if the weather is OK

Dave

Shrimpfarmer said:
2trickpony said:
Ok, so I mentioned before that the quality of signal on my Black Pearl monitor was crap.
I have since ditched the cheap CP antenna set that I bought at the time and replaced them with this:
http://horizonfpvantennas.mybigcommerce ... mrod-rhcp/

So far I have noticed a HUGE difference in reception quality with no rolling or static.
The helical is a great antenna and doesnt even need to be accurately aimed at the P2. I have flown behind a fence and a few trees and it is rock solid. :shock:

Hopefully this info helps others who are having issues with their BP and ImmersionVTX setup.

Cheers
Stu

edit: might try one of these next.........

http://horizonfpvantennas.mybigcommerce ... hz-10-dbi/

This sounds promising. Any chance you could film and post a review so that we can compare to our existing sets?

So I have just done a range test with the above setup and here is the video:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOsIFvAQ1Lw[/youtube]

It was really windy and the P2 reached just over 60mph on the return leg with the wind behind me. :shock:

Attachments

• 20140228_170452.jpg
    20140228_170452.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 418
  • 20140228_170647.jpg
    20140228_170647.jpg
    205.2 KB · Views: 427
  • 20140228_170532.jpg
    20140228_170532.jpg
    194.3 KB · Views: 393
2trickpony said:
Shrimpfarmer said:
2trickpony said:
Ok, so I mentioned before that the quality of signal on my Black Pearl monitor was crap.
I have since ditched the cheap CP antenna set that I bought at the time and replaced them with this:

So far I have noticed a HUGE difference in reception quality with no rolling or static.
The helical is a great antenna and doesnt even need to be accurately aimed at the P2. I have flown behind a fence and a few trees and it is rock solid. :shock:

Hopefully this info helps others who are having issues with their BP and ImmersionVTX setup.

Cheers
Stu

edit: might try one of these next.........

http://horizonfpvantennas.mybigcommerce ... hz-10-dbi/

This sounds promising. Any chance you could film and post a review so that we can compare to our existing sets?

So I have just done a range test with the above setup and here is the video:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOsIFvAQ1Lw[/youtube]

It was really windy and the P2 reached just over 60mph on the return leg with the wind behind me. :shock:
And your using immersion 600?

Shrimpfarmer said:
Blimey 2trick, that is an amazing improvement over what I am able to achieve. Those results will do for me. What and where do I get my hands on what you are using?

Shrimpy

Thanks, well the antenna set for the vtx and BP are here:
and I bought an extra nimrod for the BP for diversity (although the BP has NEVER changed to that antenna!!):
http://horizonfpvantennas.mybigcommerce ... 8ghz-rhcp/

I still think the IRC600 is not matched perfectly with the BP though.......
Waiting for someone to try the IRC Duo5800 :?

Cheers
Stu

2trickpony said:
Shrimpfarmer said:
Blimey 2trick, that is an amazing improvement over what I am able to achieve. Those results will do for me. What and where do I get my hands on what you are using?

Shrimpy

Thanks, well the antenna set for the vtx and BP are here:
and I bought an extra nimrod for the BP for diversity (although the BP has NEVER changed to that antenna!!):
http://horizonfpvantennas.mybigcommerce ... 8ghz-rhcp/

I still think the IRC600 is not matched perfectly with the BP though.......
Waiting for someone to try the IRC Duo5800 :?

Cheers
Stu

It gives an option for ELEMENTS... silver,gold or none.. on website.. What does that mean?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl