Range Extender Mods - totally confused!

Reaction score
Ok - so this will be a stupid question(s), but that has never stopped me before! I have a P3P and I am interested in getting a range extender that will help with both the video feed and control of the bird (it seems like I lose video feed well before loss of RC control). I have read on this forum (very helpful) about the various mods - but I am still confused. I have read a lot about ITElite and Argtek. Here are my questions:
1) Which one is typically better? Is there an advantage going with one over the other?
2) Do they improve both RC range and video feed?
3) I have read about also needing an amplifier - but isn't that what you are doing with the Argtek or ITElite? What does an amplifier do that these products don't?
4) I have also seen MaxUAV - and their range extender - is that any good?
5) Cost on the options? I found a company in LA that will do the install for about 70$ which seems reasonable given the fact that I don't feel comfortable doing it myself.
6) In a typical residential area with lots of wifi signals...do these really help a lot or is the true benefit when you are flying in open areas?

Thanks!

Depends on what you trying to achieve with any antenna mods and how much money you want to drop. I installed (actually I paid someone to do it) a FPVLR unboosted set up and literally doubled my range and suffered much reduced video loss. Not interested so much in the distance but for penetration in the area where I live. I have taken it out to 6klms but that is nothing compared to the outrageous numbers some are achieving on this forum. The brands you have mentioned are covered in multiple threads on this forum and it seems the MaxUAV gets a good write up. As for pricing, I paid $300 for the unboosted set up and a boosted (amps) arrangement is closer to $600.

This is all very helpful. So - how much difference would you get between one of these mods versus say a windsurfer that costs $15. Is the mods really better?

I had a windsurfer on my old PS3 and they definitely improved the range as long as I was in an open space free of the usual interference issues and concentrated on my aiming technique. A lot of people use them as a cheap method of improving their range but there is a big difference for me in using a dedicated antenna instal due to the million trees that surround me. Windsurfers were of no use to me in the forest as they do little for improving signal penetration and whilst the mod is an expensive alternative, give me much greater opportunity to explore my area. Technique is also very important regardless of which way you go.

Ok - so this will be a stupid question(s), but that has never stopped me before! I have a P3P and I am interested in getting a range extender that will help with both the video feed and control of the bird (it seems like I lose video feed well before loss of RC control). I have read on this forum (very helpful) about the various mods - but I am still confused. I have read a lot about ITElite and Argtek. Here are my questions:
1) Which one is typically better? Is there an advantage going with one over the other?
2) Do they improve both RC range and video feed?
3) I have read about also needing an amplifier - but isn't that what you are doing with the Argtek or ITElite? What does an amplifier do that these products don't?
4) I have also seen MaxUAV - and their range extender - is that any good?
5) Cost on the options? I found a company in LA that will do the install for about 70$ which seems reasonable given the fact that I don't feel comfortable doing it myself.
6) In a typical residential area with lots of wifi signals...do these really help a lot or is the true benefit when you are flying in open areas?

Thanks!
I have installed myself the Itelite DBS02 on my P3P. You open up the controller and remove the stock rabbit ears and the wires that go with them from the controller and the circuit board and replace them with heavy duty wires that reconnect to the circuit board. When you are done you end up with a controller that has two threaded connectors that connect to a panel that replaces the rabbit ears. Once this is done Itelite makes two panels that can be connected to the controller. The DBS02 and the Maxxrange. They are basically identical, one is about three times the size of the other. The Maxxrange panel is the bigger of the two. It really is a tedious process so if you even have a hint of hesitation it would be wise to pay someone. That being said, I would make sure you find someone that knows what they are doing. The DBS02 doubled my range while the Maxxrange more than tripled. Now you are getting into an area where you need more battery time to fly as far as these antennas will allow you to fly. With these two panels you will lose signal while out of line of sight. I have flown out 10,000 feet and back with the larger panel without a battery modification. Barely made it back. If you really want to get serious you can add amplifiers between the threaded connectors and the panels. I am studying this currently. Have not added the amps yet, by I will eventually go there. WARNING this is addictive! Also risky. I will tell you this, I have lost one bird(the P3P in the pic) it has since been replaced. The pic of the amps was lifted off of Maxxuav.com and is what I am wanting to go to. I am not saying you will lose your bird, but you are definitely upping your chances :) I am also studying FPVLR which is another antenna that can be added once you have the connectors on your remote that has two coils. I googled a picture of it. All the other pictures are mine. I have heard it offers better penetration when going behind obstructions. The amps are what the guys getting 40,000 ft are using. Don't quote me on any of this, its just what I think I understand. There is tons of information about all this on here. Google and search this forum. Good luck!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 543
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 557
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 501
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 553
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 463
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 609
Reactions: Neon Euc
I have installed myself the Itelite DBS02 on my P3P. You open up the controller and remove the stock rabbit ears and the wires that go with them from the controller and the circuit board and replace them with heavy duty wires that reconnect to the circuit board. When you are done you end up with a controller that has two threaded connectors that connect to a panel that replaces the rabbit ears. Once this is done Itelite makes two panels that can be connected to the controller. The DBS02 and the Maxxrange. They are basically identical, one is about three times the size of the other. The Maxxrange panel is the bigger of the two. It really is a tedious process so if you even have a hint of hesitation it would be wise to pay someone. That being said, I would make sure you find someone that knows what they are doing. The DBS02 doubled my range while the Maxxrange more than tripled. Now you are getting into an area where you need more battery time to fly as far as these antennas will allow you to fly. With these two panels you will lose signal while out of line of sight. I have flown out 10,000 feet and back with the larger panel without a battery modification. Barely made it back. If you really want to get serious you can add amplifiers between the threaded connectors and the panels. I am studying this currently. Have not added the amps yet, by I will eventually go there. WARNING this is addictive! Also risky. I will tell you this, I have lost one bird(the P3P in the pic) it has since been replaced. The pic of the amps was lifted off of Maxxuav.com and is what I am wanting to go to. I am not saying you will lose your bird, but you are definitely upping your chances :) I am also studying FPVLR which is another antenna that can be added once you have the connectors on your remote that has two coils. I googled a picture of it. All the other pictures are mine. I have heard it offers better penetration when going behind obstructions. The amps are what the guys getting 40,000 ft are using. Don't quote me on any of this, its just what I think I understand. There is tons of information about all this on here. Google and search this forum. Good luck!
I agree Paul, these things are addictive. I mentioned in an earlier post the FPVLR setup on mine, expressly for better penetration and it does that really well although aiming them is critical. I would have like to have tried the MaxUAV option but couldn't find anyone locally to support them if there were any issues. I am thinking about boosting the package to give me even more confidence, will probably buy them when the wife is asleep and tell her I won them in a chook raffle or something.

I have had this set up for two years now. Tony (the owner) at FPVLR knows his stuff. This is a boosted amp-kit which works very well. I think he recently moved overseas but you can purchase this particular set up online. I did however pay him to do the install. Fly on...

61f23ecc459c53ebb439ee5ee00a905e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Last edited:
I agree Paul, these things are addictive. I mentioned in an earlier post the FPVLR setup on mine, expressly for better penetration and it does that really well although aiming them is critical. I would have like to have tried the MaxUAV option but couldn't find anyone locally to support them if there were any issues. I am thinking about boosting the package to give me even more confidence, will probably buy them when the wife is asleep and tell her I won them in a chook raffle or something.
Question, since I have the threaded connectors on mine now for the Maxxuav panels can I just swap one out for FPVLR? Seems like I could just slap the coils on and just try it out. Nice setup by the way!

Paul

Question, since I have the threaded connectors on mine now for the Maxxuav panels can I just swap one out for FPVLR? Seems like I could just slap the coils on and just try it out. Nice setup by the way!

Paul
Hmmm,interesting question, unless there is a degree of tuning within the controller itself, which I doubt, sounds like a cunning plan. From what I have read on this forum, I would like to have tried the Max units but am more than happy with the result from my set up.

Hi Kevin. Can you report on how that boosted setup performed? Not sure if you are into distance flying, but you are the first person that has posted (that I can find) with that mod and I am interested in amping up for flying through the forest and the usual (ahem) distance trip.

OK HERE IS THE FACTS !!! I have a P-4 with FPVLR boosted $281 kit . ( Tonys kit )
I also have a P-4P with the kit & both have the same range. The P-4P camera is slightly better but that's it. With my stock P-4P+ with the parabolic antennas climbing all the way out I can reach 20,000 to 22,000 feet max./ ( That is also the drones max range. ) With my Boosted FPVLR Kit I can reach out to 33,600 feet ( My max so far ) Here is the deal.
My P-4 has a FPV Custom battery mod. I have the split 5500 A battery but I found two 1800 A batteries gives me the same range & are lighter & easier on the Drone not having to carry extra weight. I do have to climb out all the way. I could go farther from Tony's FPVLR but I would never make it back. To try to go to a higher miA battery the extra weight will kill any benefit. SO ALL P-4 & Pro drones max range is for sure under ( In my opinion )
35,000 feet. All I do is test so here we are. Radio range is not a issue. It's Drone power that is are limiting factor. LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU ALL THINK ??????

Reactions: Paul A Byers
OK HERE IS THE FACTS !!! I have a P-4 with FPVLR boosted $281 kit . ( Tonys kit )
I also have a P-4P with the kit & both have the same range. The P-4P camera is slightly better but that's it. With my stock P-4P+ with the parabolic antennas climbing all the way out I can reach 20,000 to 22,000 feet max./ ( That is also the drones max range. ) With my Boosted FPVLR Kit I can reach out to 33,600 feet ( My max so far ) Here is the deal.
My P-4 has a FPV Custom battery mod. I have the split 5500 A battery but I found two 1800 A batteries gives me the same range & are lighter & easier on the Drone not having to carry extra weight. I do have to climb out all the way. I could go farther from Tony's FPVLR but I would never make it back. To try to go to a higher miA battery the extra weight will kill any benefit. SO ALL P-4 & Pro drones max range is for sure under ( In my opinion )
35,000 feet. All I do is test so here we are. Radio range is not a issue. It's Drone power that is are limiting factor. LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU ALL THINK ??????
Interesting post. Since you have this knowledge I am going to ask you a question. I just ordered a new P4(base, not Pro). I plan to install boosted FPVLR on it when I get it. I am also a P3P with DBS Mod owner so I know there are three different controllers. GL300A, B and C. If I'm going to install this mod, does it matter whether I do it on an A,B or C? Is one better than the rest to install this mod on? Because if it is, I can sell the controller that comes with it and buy the preferred controller, that is unless it comes with the better one when I get it.

Thanks in advance!
Paul

Interesting post. Since you have this knowledge I am going to ask you a question. I just ordered a new P4(base, not Pro). I plan to install boosted FPVLR on it when I get it. I am also a P3P with DBS Mod owner so I know there are three different controllers. GL300A, B and C. If I'm going to install this mod, does it matter whether I do it on an A,B or C? Is one better than the rest to install this mod on? Because if it is, I can sell the controller that comes with it and buy the preferred controller, that is unless it comes with the better one when I get it.

Thanks in advance!
Paul
There is a guy on the forum, John Locke who has done a number of comparisons with the three options of a P4, the C being the worst of them and apparently the A version being the better in stock form. If you use the search engine up the top look for his threads. Your warranty may be void if you mod the new controller, I just got my FPVLR back today and will run it again shortly. I had a stock C controller on loan whilst dji mucked around with my modded unit and whilst both are C controllers, my modded unit is way better at range and penetration.

Reactions: Paul A Byers
There is a guy on the forum, John Locke who has done a number of comparisons with the three options of a P4, the C being the worst of them and apparently the A version being the better in stock form. If you use the search engine up the top look for his threads. Your warranty may be void if you mod the new controller, I just got my FPVLR back today and will run it again shortly. I had a stock C controller on loan whilst dji mucked around with my modded unit and whilst both are C controllers, my modded unit is way better at range and penetration.
Thanks!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.