Quick Hitter: Best Free Editor

Reaction score
Hello and thank you in advance!

I searched on these forums, and the internet in general to no avail. There are posts on this site which hit on the subject, but no definitive answers from you pros.

In a two sentence or less answer, what is the best free editing tool to combine photos and videos from our drone work?
I do not need to get in too deep, as I have a friend who can work with the colors, but I cannot lose quality of work by compressing files.
I have heard the GoPro studio, but it is not recognizing my Phantom files.

I look forward to your responses, and hopefully ending my search into the bowels of the internet!!

El Gringo

Hello and thank you in advance!

I searched on these forums, and the internet in general to no avail. There are posts on this site which hit on the subject, but no definitive answers from you pros.

In a two sentence or less answer, what is the best free editing tool to combine photos and videos from our drone work?
I do not need to get in too deep, as I have a friend who can work with the colors, but I cannot lose quality of work by compressing files.
I have heard the GoPro studio, but it is not recognizing my Phantom files.

I look forward to your responses, and hopefully ending my search into the bowels of the internet!!

El Gringo

What platform?

What about Black Magic's Davinci Resolve?
Blackmagic Design: DaVinci Resolve 12

I've been using that for a couple weeks for various editing projects and it seems to be pretty decent. I have used simpler versions for putting together training videos for computer stuff with screen recording and all but this is the first time I've messed with video editing.

Thank you. I saw some of these, but everyone is all over the board. Maybe I should have done a poll versus asking an open ended question. My preference is to continue to use Go Pro Studio, previously I was using a Typhoon with a Go Pro for drone shots. However, the .MOV videos are only showing black when viewing in Go Pro Studio.

Can you see a pattern developing here just like those threads? Hence the link I posted. You have to decide for yourself. The links provided ALL the information gathered since the inception of the board which is more than you'll ever get in a single thread. :)

I have Windows 10. I was hoping to use Go Pro Studio, as I am familiar with it, but the .MOV files import, but do not show anything.
Thanks!

I'm fully Mac and Apple, so others will have to chime in with suggestions. Good luck.

Also voting for DaVinci Resolve 12.5 since the Hollywood colorists people seem to like it for color grading and editing both. It will do most all you need and much more, but I think the 4K part is only in the expensive paid version? Also, the DJI downloads area has the 3D LUT that speeds up the post work in DaVinci too. It's pretty complex too so it will take some time to learn over the cheaper generic video packages like Corel VideoStudio X9 that I also have but never seem to get decent results out of it vs. DaVinci.

Reactions: umneycreep

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl