Questions/observations re currently owned P2V+ vs P3P vs V3

Reaction score

Greetings,

Is it just me or do others feel a bit of let down from DJI? I bought my P2V+ with extra battery exactly a year ago. I've flown it maybe 12-15 times thus far. My time is limited so I don't get out often.

A year later and DJI comes out with a newer model with so many upgraded/desirable features. And on top of that it costs less than I paid for my P2V+. They HAD to know they were working on this back then. Would I have waited for the newer one? Probably not, but it would've been nice to have the option. OK enough whining... :)

So, now some questions. Other than owning 2 aircraft, what if any are the cons to the P3P as compared to the P2V+ ? I have no desire for (nor can I afford) two UAVs.

Should I decide to buy a P3P, what's the best way to sell my existing P2V+ setup and recoup some of my initial investment? Classifieds here in the forum? Craigslist? Ebay? Any more suggestions?

If I decide to keep the P2V+ and not get P3P, is DJI still actively supporting and developing the app and firmware for the P2V+? I saw that they had a new firmware release in March, to add a Washington DC no-fly zone. But this seemed like it was a "forced" issue. What about non-critical issues like any new bugs/features?

How does the P2V+ V3 compare?

Thanks for any insight you folks may be able to provide.

-P

Hmmm same thing happened to me when I bought a new Ford Escape. Happened again with a new smart TV , a tablet, a laptop and other items. I guess I am just cursed with the upgrade bonanza or is that just called technology? hmmm.
Seriously thought that's a tough on to answer. Depends on where you need the 4 k video or are satisfied with the 1080p. The P3 comes with two models. It uses Lightbridge controller for better distance and has two GPS modes for better tracking, has vision positioning for indoor flying. It is really going to depend on you needs and which one fits the bill.

Last edited:
Reactions: bbfpv
I have a P2V+ v3 and I love it. No issues, no bugs. Batteries are now $99. 1080p is perfect as of now as not everyone has a 4k tv. Flies just like the P3(same motors and props) as I have flown both with the exception of the "braking" on the P3P. If I was to change, Id wait for the P3P v2.

Reactions: JoeSchmoe
Thanks to both of you for the replies. I am hoping for some more in out from others.. What I really like about the P3P is the sonar/sight guidance, longer range, and a more intuitive gui. Like Kid, I don't really care about the 4k video. What are the major differences from P2V+ and P2V+ V3? I understand the controller is a bit different, and is backwards compatible to some of the P2 models. What else. How is the vehicle itself different?

Do we know if there is a P3P v2 int he works?

Tnx

PS. I probably should ask the question, will the P3P apps work on an iPad 2?

Last edited:
v2 and v3 has different motors and ESC, also uses different props. Compass is now housed. Controller is also diff but has backwards compatibility. Also, the v3 comes w a ground station-if im not mistaken.

not mean to hyjack but
i see some of these that have (Late 2014) listed as well and others don't
are there some changes and that's why it list (Late 2014)
any one have a link that talks about this?

DJI Phantom 2 Vision+ v3.0 Quadcopter with Spare Flight Battery Bundle (Late 2014)
DJI Phantom 2 Vision+ v3.0 with Spare Battery, Card, and Hard Case Bundle

v2 and v3 has different motors and ESC, also uses different props. Compass is now housed. Controller is also diff but has backwards compatibility. Also, the v3 comes w a ground station-if im not mistaken.
No Ground Station, No IOC. P3 is still a work in progress.
I plan to enjoy my P2V+ and let the beta testers work on the P3.
IMO dji will do nothing more with the P2.

I have the P2V+ and have used the DJI app and the Litich app. Love the Litchi app with. Improved GS waypoint flying and even now has follow me, I don't use, and. POI where you can circle your point of interest and film it with camera pointed to your subject. Great app for the few $$$. Ground station just be careful as you can fly beyond the DJI locked in range. I fly out a maximum of 5-6 min so I can make a return with no more than 12 minutes for a safety margin. I have put her to the limit once or twice landing with only 8% battery remaining. Pucker power!

I have a P2V+ v3 and I love it. No issues, no bugs. Batteries are now $99. 1080p is perfect as of now as not everyone has a 4k tv. Flies just like the P3(same motors and props) as I have flown both with the exception of the "braking" on the P3P. If I was to change, Id wait for the P3P v2.
Well, I bought the P2V+v3 in March 2015, you can imagine how I feel. But I fully agree with you, 4K is very heavy for editing , etc, downloading...I am fully enjoying my P2V+V3. Next year , I will see to the P3 v2 or v3 so we get a stable product like ours today.

I agree with hotdogs post. I own the P2vplus and it's a great product. I also own the P3 and I LOVE it. Much more stable flight, flies much further, camera is a lot better and the Pilot app is great. Buy the P2v has things like ground station and, with 3rd party apps, things like follow me and POI flying. Of course, the P3 will get these but it's going to be a while. In the meantime DJI will continue to screw up the app and firmware for the P3 while the P2 works now and I don't see DJI putting any more effort into screw that up.

The main issue I have with my P2 vs my P3 is the quality of the camera. The P2 photos and video are no where near as good as ones from the P3. It takes a lot of editing to get the P2 output close enough to the P3 to be able to use it together.

Is your P3 the 4k video or the 1080p same as p2v+. Are you comparing apples to apples with the camera or an apple to an orange? Just curious!

I don't get it.. do your P2V+ suddenly get worst if a new model comes along?
I see this in every tech forum I go.. I'm a photographer so I see this phenomenon in lots of camera forums too.. Get over it guys. If its great last month, its still great today.

I bought a P2V+ V3 last year, and when a seagull crashed it last month I went and bought another just like it.
I still don't care about the P3 with its all-in-one-board electronics: you burn one little thing, you have to change the hole board.
If its just the better camera, get a P2 with a gopro and you can get a new camera when it evolves.

The only advantage I would see on the P3 would be the distance you can fly it. But since I upgraded my remote with an itelite antenna, I get more distance than the P3.

P2 batteries are cheaper, and its a much more tested technology than the P3. my P2V+ over a P3 anytime.

I also own 2P2V+2's and do not plan
on moving up as I see no advantage. 1080p videos are great. My 2 Phantom's do just fine and give me all the distance I want or need. They are fantastic and the technology is great.

Reactions: macsoft
Does the software updates with POI / follow me / Waypoints change the equation? i'm very happy with my P2V+ but tempted by 4K and lightbridge.

Does the software updates with POI / follow me / Waypoints change the equation? i'm very happy with my P2V+ but tempted by 4K and lightbridge.
the software? we have all those functions ages ago with 3rd party apps.

litchi is android only, and what I've read about autopilot doesn't give me a warm and fuzzy

"the inconsistency of our experience and roughness of some of the shots makes me hesitate to trust it for any kind of real production"

"the constraints of the SDK and Phantom itself--the quad can't send data and respond to commands quickly enough for perfectly smooth tracking."

As I see it, all these functions are gimmicks. There is no substitution for good old pilot skills. Any professional work will be done with pilot skills.

As I see it, all these functions are gimmicks. There is no substitution for good old pilot skills. Any professional work will be done with pilot skills.
Good flight skills are always a plus. However, these functions would probably help a vast majority of fliers, even good ones. They free up the need to fly the drone so that the flyer only needs to focus on the camera angles. Flying is super smooth.

Good flight skills are always a plus. However, these functions would probably help a vast majority of fliers, even good ones. They free up the need to fly the drone so that the flyer only needs to focus on the camera angles. Flying is super smooth.
"makes me hesitate to trust it for any kind of real production" - OP has referring to a real production.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic