Questions about range extender antenna mod

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just a quick question about modifying the antenna... I just performed the modification to the range extender - I have yet to try it but I have both a 5 DBi and an 8 DBi antenna - not sure how much range increase either one will give me - just waiting for the weather to improve and the wind to die down.

I've left the aircraft and the transmitter stock.

My questions are:

1) What are experiences with the 5 DBi and the 8 DBi antenna as far as range increases, when leaving everything else stock? If I can get anywhere near 2000 ft distance before wifi cuts out I'd be thrilled.

2) What is the range of the stock transmitter (controller)? One thing I do NOT want to do is have the phantom lose the transmitter signal BEFORE the wifi cuts out. I still want to be able to control the aircraft and bring it back into wifi range, rather than have the "return to home" kick in even though I have good wifi signal.

3) Is battery life of the range extender significantly decreased by adding a bigger antenna? I hear about people recharging the range extender every 3-4 flights (which already seems pretty frequent) but will having a 5 DBi or 8 DBi mean recharging a lot more often?

Thanks in advance for sharing your experience!
-Jeff.

I got around 1500 with the 5 dbi and 1800 with the 8dbi
The control signal should be fine at those distances

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jadabyanza24