Questions about Nexus 7

Reaction score
This is slightly off-topic, so I hope no-one minds.

I haven't got my p3 yet, because I don't yet have time to fly it, but I've just ordered a Google Nexus 7 tablet, since I'll need it anyway and I can use it straight away.

I know nothing about tablets at all, and only ordered this one because so many people on this forum recommend it. What I'd like to know is, are there things you should do to optimise this tablet as soon as you've got it and before you use it? Are there a lot of useless programs already on it that I might be well advised to remove? Are there things I need to know about settings? Having never had a tablet before, and owning a PC that still runs XP, I'm way behind the curve, so I'd appreciate any advice people can give here.

Also, I presume you can download DJI's Pilot App even if you don't yet have a P3, Would this be a good idea?

Thanks.

The beauty of Nexus is zero bloatware -- no programs to remove. Make sure you have the latest version of Lollipop, and you are good to go. The beauty of Android is customization, so have fun setting it up to look the way you want it to look.

To follow forums, like this one, grab Tapatalk from the Playstore.

Also, I recommend setting up Google Photos to autoback up. That will send all your videos to the cloud automatically. This does not replace the version on the SD card, but I think it is a nice to have. The SD card version will be much higher resolution and have fewer artifacts.

Hi KevinfromUK. Another Kevin from UK here.
I bought the nexus 7 (2013) version just to use with my P3P. It was on sale at Argos. I bought the 32gb version. It was cheaper than the 16gb version which was not on sale. Figure that one out.
The only thing I installed on it was the Pilot App.
You can instal and view certain things on the app but most options are not available until you hook up your Phantom.
When installing the app it want's to use the developer options. You must accept this. You will be taken to the relevant settings option in the tablet. Just confirm it. Your app will now be ready for when you get your Phantom.
The only problem I had was when my Phantom was hooked up to the app I could not see the camera om the nexus screen.
I found the answer was to use the micro usb connection cable that comes with the Phantom. DON'T use the charge cable that comes with the Nexus.

The Nexus hooked into my Phantom has performed perfectly every flight I have had. No drop outs and no video lag. Fingers crossed that it continues.

I bought one of the 'Asus official' nexus (2013) cases off ebay. About £6. It fits perfect and fits in Phantoms controller holder lovely.
I also bought an 'Anti-Glare' screen protector which helped with the glare on the nexus screen. Not perfect but helps.

Hope the above info helps.

Last edited:
Reactions: AsiaFlyer
I bought the nexus 7 (2012) version just to use with my P3P

I was under the impression that the 1st Gen Nexus 7 wouldn't work well. I tried it with mine and the lag was terrible and the video kept "freezing". The processor & graphic chips just aren't fast enough. As for as installing the Pilot App & settings on your Nexus 7 (2013 gen II), there are plenty of threads explaining the steps required and best performance settings on this forum... a simple search will get you going.

I was under the impression that the 1st Gen Nexus 7 wouldn't work well. I tried it with mine and the lag was terrible and the video kept "freezing". The processor & graphic chips just aren't fast enough. As for as installing the Pilot App & settings on your Nexus 7 (2013 gen II), there are plenty of threads explaining the steps required and best performance settings on this forum... a simple search will get you going.

Your quite right. I've corrected my entry. It is the Nexus 7 (2013) version I have.
Thanks for correcting me.

Hi KevinfromUK. Another Kevin from UK here.
I bought the nexus 7 (2013) version just to use with my P3P. It was on sale at Argos. I bought the 32gb version. It was cheaper than the 16gb version which was not on sale. Figure that one out.
The only thing I installed on it was the Pilot App.
You can instal and view certain things on the app but most options are not available until you hook up your Phantom.
When installing the app it want's to use the developer options. You must accept this. You will be taken to the relevant settings option in the tablet. Just confirm it. Your app will now be ready for when you get your Phantom.
The only problem I had was when my Phantom was hooked up to the app I could not see the camera om the nexus screen.
I found the answer was to use the micro usb connection cable that comes with the Phantom. DON'T use the charge cable that comes with the Nexus.

The Nexus hooked into my Phantom has performed perfectly every flight I have had. No drop outs and no video lag. Fingers crossed that it continues.

I bought one of the 'Asus official' nexus (2013) cases off ebay. About £6. It fits perfect and fits in Phantoms controller holder lovely.
I also bought an 'Anti-Glare' screen protector which helped with the glare on the nexus screen. Not perfect but helps.

Hope the above info helps.
What screen protector did you buy?
Thanks

I saved this from another post somewhere. I have one flight with these settings and it was much better than some of my past flights. But it was just the one flight but should be the best options until updates come out

1. 'Play Store' app > Settings > Auto-update apps > "Do not..." to turn off automatic updating

2. 'Settings' app> Security > Device Administrators" and uncheck/deactivate "Android Device Manager" as a device administrator

3. 'Settings' app> Applications > Application Manager > ALL (scroll right if needed to see this option) > Google Play Services > Disable (or Uninstall)... then choose to uninstall any updates from the stock version when prompted.

4. 'Settings' app> Applications > Application Manager > ALL > Google Play Services > Enable ....this will enable the older stock version of google play services

Ignore future upgrade requests for Google Maps etc as that will upgrade Google Play Services also. (until there is a proper fix from DJI)

Found this app from a suggestion on a different thread here. The app will shut down all the apps on the tablet and clean up all the memory among other things. So prior to flying the phantom you can optimize the Nexus 7. I have downloaded the app and played around with it and it all works nicely. Have not made a flight since getting it yet.
I will say that since flying twice with the Nexus 7 2013 that I bought off craigslist I have had no problems and it works great. Use of this app may make things even better.

All-In-One Toolbox (Cleaner)
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=imoblife.toolbox.full&hl=en

FYI: Download and start reading the Phantom Manual!
Other good stuff here both videos apply to the Phantom not just the Inspire as they are related to the app not what it is flying:
This guy also has a good video on just the camera settings:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl