Question: Starting a drone photography company

You need a 333 Exemption but probably no one you contact will know what that is. You should definitely validate the market first, offer services free of charge and possibly build a client list this way. How is the real estate market where you live? This might not be the best market to focus on based on your location. The issue people arent thinking about with real estate is where is your repeat business. You film a house once and then that's it you are done. If you are in a tight market there is limited supply of houses to film so you might never get your business off the ground.

Better to focus on a vertical market where the client needs you to come back again and again and has multiple projects where you can keep upselling your services. Think about this the way you would any business. Do you want to do this on the side or do you really want to make a good living. Just some of my thoughts based on my own experiences so far.

Reactions: dysan911
Agreed. The FAA's has made that requirement very clear. Not sure why you are stating so here, but I think we all agree with you this time.

I still dont think that this particular request is asking for relief from having a pilot.

The request is to the privileges granted to a private pilot. The reg states private pilots can't fly for hire, and that's what they are asking for relief from, otherwise this would be limited to commercial pilots and above.

Personally I'm fine with the pilots requirement (I am a pilot), both for selfish and safety reasons. I think commercial drone operators should know airspace. Do you know what VFR conditions are? The main reason the FAA wants it though in my opinion is so you have a certificate they can take if you break the rules.

They aren't scaring anyone. It's the law. They have the power to exempt people from the law and/or rules they create. For some reason, they are choosing not to do so.

I'm pretty surprised that your drone lawyer is not up to speed on this. It might be wise to find a new lawyer -- or at least get a second opinion.

What law are you referring to?

Personally I'm fine with the pilots requirement (I am a pilot), both for selfish and safety reasons. I think commercial drone operators should know airspace. Do you know what VFR conditions are? The main reason the FAA wants it though in my opinion is so you have a certificate they can take if you break the rules.

Ditto. I'm seeing more and more drone operators getting into sticky situations with "restricted flying space" and saying, "I don't know what Air Space is let alone what one I'm flying in." If you're going to play in the National Air Space you should have some degree of NAS training. If you are integrating into the NAS and don't understand what others are doing, should be doing, and should NOT be doing then you become a huge liability whether you mean to or not.

For the record (And this is going to ruffle a lot of feathers) I think every one of our RC aircraft/UAV/UAS/Drone/MR should have some form of identification linking back to the pilot. This way if something goes wrong there is a chance it can be tracked back to the operator. If you're man enough to fly the aircraft you should be man enough (or woman) to take full responsibility for any actions associated with the aircraft.

Also every operator should have a minimal amount of initial training, and should have to pass a written test demonstrating their level of understanding of NAS. It doesn't have to be a long test nor expensive but it's badly needed to help sustain this hobby/industry for the rest of us and future generations. RC aircraft have for years been a great way for fathers & sons (and daughters) to bond and learn together. RC aircraft was a talent passed down from generation to generation and one that young & old alike could enjoy side by side. We should take the needed steps to preserve this awesome hobby for our future youth.

Just as an example to what I'm talking about... growing up my father would take me to the local school yard to teach me to fly "Control Line" aircraft. We got good and then he moved me up into R/C aircraft. Still at the same school yard. Fast forward many years later (let's estimate 30 years but it's more LOL) and try going to a school yard (or any school owned property) and flying your "Drone". At least in the state of NC (which is very slack compared to most states) there is a state statute stating (stat 3x LOL) no RC aircraft on any school owned property. The very same parcel of land where I started learning to fly is completely off limits to flying. They can't stop you from flying over the property but they can stop you from taking off and landing on it. I can assure you it's not going to get any easier and unless we change ourselves we are going to be so heavily regulated that it just won't be worth the hassle.

Check out the video linked on this page. . . says a lot about youth & aviation
Discover Flight

Sorry for the rant :)

Last edited:
The request is to the privileges granted to a private pilot. The reg states private pilots can't fly for hire, and that's what they are asking for relief from, otherwise this would be limited to commercial pilots and above.

Exactly my point. Thanks for confirming sir.

I also agree that the pilots requirement is fine for now since there is still no alternative. Once the new FAA rules are in place, I'm expecting something less than a pilot's requirement but still with some sort of knowledge and/or skills based testing commensurate with a small drone.

And yes, for me personally I do know about VFR conditions. That I think is sort of widely known, but I do get the point you were trying to make with that example. Again, thanks sir.

I think requiring a ground test covering all the aspects of safe flight below the required 400' limit makes sense. Requiring me to endanger myself and others by flying an actual aircraft to qualify for operating a drone is ridiculous. Also the fact that as long as I'm not accepting compensation for my service there are no pilot safety requirements makes no sense. The FAA is really making this harder than it has to be. The longer they delay releasing rules the harder it will become to enforce them when they are released. So for commercial flights require ground school minimum number of flight hours and insurance. For hobby only require ground school and encourage people to have liability insurance.

I think requiring a ground test covering all the aspects of safe flight below the required 400' limit makes sense. Requiring me to endanger myself and others by flying an actual aircraft to qualify for operating a drone is ridiculous. Also the fact that as long as I'm not accepting compensation for my service there are no pilot safety requirements makes no sense. The FAA is really making this harder than it has to be. The longer they delay releasing rules the harder it will become to enforce them when they are released. So for commercial flights require ground school minimum number of flight hours and insurance. For hobby only require ground school and encourage people to have liability insurance.

I'm just really hoping they don't make it a separate certificate. I already carry 2, my private pilot certificate and mechanics certificate.

For those trying to write a 333, PM me, I will send you what I submitted. Took me about 2 days to get it done, but I deal with FAA stuff a lot (being a mechanic).

And if you know anyone in Alaska looking for the service send them my way :)

Reactions: BigAl07
Does anyone know how to find and edit their 333 submission - I have a tracking # but I have yet to figure out how to recall or find the actual document I sent.

I'm hoping they don't make it a separate requirement as well. I wish they would clarify though so I'd know if getting my pilots license would carry me into the new regulations. What was the turnaround time on your 333? I'm seeing up to 5 months based on the recently released 333's on the FAA website. I think they should just make an online 333 registration at this point. You could just sign up register and off you go. All of the exemptions state the same thing at this point anyway.

Reactions: BigAl07
Does anyone know how to find and edit their 333 submission - I have a tracking # but I have yet to figure out how to recall or find the actual document I sent.
To the best of my knowledge you can't until it's "Posted".
Once it's posted and given a Docket # (instead of a tracking #) you can submit amendments etc. Until then it's sort of "locked".

How long ago did you submit? They are processing ones around July 15th right now give or take a day.

I have to agree with Milo 100%. I'd equate the requirement of a pilots license to fly a small drone about as ridiculous as needing a be a Doctor to administer cough syrup. ;)

I get where you guys with pilots licenses already are coming from. I understand the need the FAA has to protect the airspace and try and make it safe for everyone but I think their best intentions are going to backfire and dissuade individuals who would have otherwise submitted a request for exemption to continue operating under the radar (No pun intended). ;) Whats the real true cost of a pilot's license? $10k when it's all said and done? Personally speaking it makes NO SENSE to me for anyone that is currently NOT a pilot to seek a pilot's license just for the 333 exemption when in perhaps a year or so they will drastically change the requirements and probably omit the requirement for a pilots license. Until then fly safe and don't give the FAA a reason to come after you.

Here's how I found the submission that was mentioned earlier in this thread. I used the search at the top to find the specific submission I was looking for.

Regulations.gov

A bit more specific.... There is no law on the books... Yet. Proposed yes.

The FAA has a mandate from Congress to regulate the NAS. Back when they transitioned from the CAA into the FAA in the 50s. So they have the regulatory authority over everything in the NAS. There are even rules in title 14 from 20+ years ago about model aircraft.

The FAA has a mandate from Congress to regulate the NAS. Back when they transitioned from the CAA into the FAA in the 50s. So they have the regulatory authority over everything in the NAS. There are even rules in title 14 from 20+ years ago about model aircraft.
I don't doubt that they have jurisdiction over the airspace but I do think that enforcement is nearly impossible for them as they must rely on local police forces to take any action. The police generally aren't used to enforcing aviation policy and have stated that it's a burden they aren't prepared to deal with. If the FAA issues an action against an individual who serves the notice and how do you prove who was the pilot etc. I kind of liken it to the marijuana laws in the United States. There is a federal law against recreational use but states are choosing not to enforce federal law. I'm not a lawyer these are just my observations. If you do anything bad enough to get the FAA involved you will be criminally charged or fined. Don't do that.

Every approved 333 exemption includes this requirement.
Yes, that's correct. You can read all of the most recent FAA 333 Exemptions here and see that in line item #13 of each of these issued this month, it still requires a pilot certificate.

What's interesting is #14. It appears that an individual with 333 exemption that has a pilot certificate, he can authorize non-certified flyers the right to fly commercially. It's a convoluted wording, but that's what it appears to say. If I'm interpreting it correctly, all you need is a friend who's a pilot, and he could authorize you to fly commercially, assuming he wasn't paranoid about any liability. Read it, see what you think.

Yes, that's correct. You can read all of the most recent FAA 333 Exemptions here and see that in line item #13 of each of these issued this month, it still requires a pilot certificate.

What's interesting is #14. It appears that an individual with 333 exemption that has a pilot certificate, he can authorize non-certified flyers the right to fly commercially. It's a convoluted wording, but that's what it appears to say. If I'm interpreting it correctly, all you need is a friend who's a pilot, and he could authorize you to fly commercially, assuming he wasn't paranoid about any liability. Read it, see what you think.

Completely disagree with your interpretation. Per 13 you must hold a pilots certificate to act as PIC (pilot in command). Per 14 you must be able to operate it safely and be current (not sure how they will do this, 3 logged takeoff and landings in last 90 days?) to act as PIC.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic