Question: Starting a drone photography company

Wow, this thread turned south so many times, my compass is messed up.

And with so much misinformation.

First, there is no FAA rule that says you can't fly a hobby drone for commercial purposes. Just because an agency "considers" an activity is illegal doesn't make it so. What FAA rule is violated by flying a hobby drone for commercial purposes?

However, getting your Section 333 exemptions will provide a small level of immunity from FAA enforcement action, and it is easier to get liability insurance when you have the exemption. Mostly because you have a pilot certificate. (The FAA does not issue a pilot's license - it's a certificate).

To fly a drone commercially under a Section 333 exemption, the pilot must have a pilot certificate. Section 333 of the FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012 does give the FAA wide latitude to exempt operators from specific rules. The FAA does not have the authority to waive the pilot certification requirement because it comes from a federal law in 49 U.S. Code § 44711 that requires all flight used in commerce be done on registered aircraft and certified flight crew. Only Congress can change the law in 49 USC.

The Part 107 rules, when finalized (next year?), will create a new class of Pilot Certificate unique to SUAS. There is no overlap or provision for grandfathering individuals who hold a sport pilot certificate or above. Everyone will have to take the written exam, but in fairness, the exam will cover SUAS-specific topics. As proposed, § 107.13 "Registration, certification, and airworthiness directives" says:
"No person may operate a civil small unmanned aircraft system for purposes of flight unless:
(a) That person has an unmanned aircraft operator certificate with a small UAS rating issued pursuant to Subpart C of this part and satisfies the requirements of § 107.65;"​

If you don't like it, you should have commented on the NPRM.

I am reading througn the forum replies/questions....

Here's one - "Should you file the exemption with your Name or the name of your LLC?"
If you are a sole proprietor, it makes no difference. But if you think you will ever hire a pilot to fly under your exemption, then you probably want it under the company name.

"You may want to have your Aviation Attorney re-visit the current stance of the FAA over non-333 commercial flights as they have officially started citing companies for this action. "
As stated above, what rule? The FAA Enforcement and Compliance division sends a civil penalty letter to the person charged with a violation. The civil penalty letter contains a statement of the charges, the applicable law, rule, regulation, or order, the amount of civil penalty that the Administrator will accept in full settlement of the action or an offer to compromise the civil penalty. No one has received a civil penalty letter stating any rule except 14 CFR § 91.13 "Careless and Reckless". If anyone is aware of any other rule in a civil penalty letter, I would like to know.

UNLESS... And this is the gotcha that the FAA has been using to pursue enforcement.
Unless you have an FAA - issued airman certificate. Then the FAA can nail you for 14 CFR §61.113 "Private pilot privileges and limitations-Pilot in command" or 14 CFR §61.101 "Recreational pilot privileges and limitations" which both have an explicit prohibition of commercial flight.

So, if you are a certificated pilot, you're screwed because the FAA can and does pursue §61.113 and §61.101 certificate actions for commercial drone operations. You need the Section 333 exemption. If you do not have a pilot certificate, then there is no FAA rule prohibiting you from flying a drone for commercial purposes. In the few cases that have attracted FAA attention that I am aware of (about 20 cases), the charge has always been 14 CFR § 91.13 "Careless and Reckless".

Reading further...
"The main reason the FAA wants it though in my opinion is so you have a certificate they can take if you break the rules."
Yes, the FAA prefers certificate actions over civil penalties. It's less paperwork and they don't run the risk of a precedent being set if the case goes to the full NTSB panel.

Here's a comment of interest, though not on topic:
"For the record (And this is going to ruffle a lot of feathers) I think every one of our RC aircraft/UAV/UAS/Drone/MR should have some form of identification linking back to the pilot. This way if something goes wrong there is a chance it can be tracked back to the operator. If you're man enough to fly the aircraft you should be man enough (or woman) to take full responsibility for any actions associated with the aircraft."
I wrote an article on this very subject at Robotics Trends.
If you want to comment on it, start a new thread.

And the last one...
"Per 13 [Secton 333 exemption Conditions and Limitations, usually line 13] you must hold a pilots certificate to act as PIC (pilot in command). Per 14 you must be able to operate it safely and be current (not sure how they will do this, 3 logged takeoff and landings in last 90 days?) to act as PIC."
The C&L don't say that the logged takeoffs and landings have to be in a commercial setting under the Section 333 exemption. Go to a field and fly as a hobby operator to get your future PIC familiar with your aircraft and to log the three takeoffs and landings. (I guess they don't like to see fewer landings in a logbook than takeoffs). But you are correct, any PIC has to be certificated.

So, OP - Are you thoroughly confused yet?
By the way, it costs nothing to apply for the Section 333 exemption yourself and you do not need a pilot certificate to apply for or obtain the exemptions. So, get the exemption and hire a local pilot to fly it for you while you act as the Visual Observer (conditions and Limitations line 6: "All operations must utilize a visual observer (VO)."). This way you can build the business end without the expense of getting a pilot certificate for a Cessna. If there's little business to be had, then fire your pilot and sell your drones. Or just fly for fun. If business takes off (pun intentional), then keep the pilot, buy more drones and go get your pilot certificate.

Last edited:
Yes, that's correct. You can read all of the most recent FAA 333 Exemptions here and see that in line item #13 of each of these issued this month, it still requires a pilot certificate.

What's interesting is #14. It appears that an individual with 333 exemption that has a pilot certificate, he can authorize non-certified flyers the right to fly commercially. It's a convoluted wording, but that's what it appears to say. If I'm interpreting it correctly, all you need is a friend who's a pilot, and he could authorize you to fly commercially, assuming he wasn't paranoid about any liability. Read it, see what you think.
I find it interesting in paragraph #14 of the FAA letter (assuming PIC means Pilot in Command the acronym is not defined in the approval document from what I can find) - that the "operator" cannot allow any PIC to fly the UAV unless the operator (is that the owner of the UAV?) unless the PIC has demonstrated the ability to fly the UA V in a safe manner - now how can the person being trained (the operator tell a PIC what to do if they - the operator is the trainee (I am probably misinterpreting what an operator is ....... but if your right (I did not interpret paragraph #14 mean what you interpret - but, heck, I am not sure what an operator is either

I find it interesting in paragraph #14 of the FAA letter (assuming PIC means Pilot in Command the acronym is not defined in the approval document from what I can find) - that the "operator" cannot allow any PIC to fly the UAV unless the operator (is that the owner of the UAV?) unless the PIC has demonstrated the ability to fly the UA V in a safe manner - now how can the person being trained (the operator tell a PIC what to do if they - the operator is the trainee (I am probably misinterpreting what an operator is ....... but if your right (I did not interpret paragraph #14 mean what you interpret - but, heck, I am not sure what an operator is either

From my understanding and how I am following my 333 is, the "Operator" is actually the Company that was granted the exemption not a specific individual.

From my understanding and how I am following my 333 is, the "Operator" is actually the Company that was granted the exemption not a specific individual.
No, the FAA in the preamble to the NPRM had difficulty calling the person at the controls a Pilot, so they came up with "Operator", but as Tilted said, "Operator" traditionally means the owner of the aircraft, such as Jet Blue and United are Operators. PIC is defined in the NPRM and has always meant Pilot in Command. Not to be confused with a PICC (Peripherally Inserted Central Catheter). Hope you never see one of those.

From the NPRM preamble:
 Pilots of a small UAS would be considered “operators”.
 Operators would be required to:
o Pass an initial aeronautical knowledge test at an FAA-approved knowledge testing center.
o Be vetted by the Transportation Security Administration.
o Obtain an unmanned aircraft operator certificate with a small UAS rating (like existing pilot airman certificates, never expires).
...​
The FAA finally notes that the term “operate” is currently a defined term in 14 CFR 1.1 that is used in manned-aircraft operations. While, for purposes of proposed part 107, the proposed definition of “operator” would supersede any conflicting definitions in § 1.1, the FAA invites comments as to whether defining a new crewmember position as an “operator” would cause confusion with the existing terminology. If so, the FAA invites suggestions as to an alternative title for this crewmember position.​

The rules aren't even finalized yet, and already there is confusion. If you have an owner of a fleet of aircraft, such as Jet Blue, then Jet Blue is called "The Operator". If Drone, Inc. owns a fleet of SUAS aircraft, then Drone Inc. is the operator. But then, so is the PIC flying the UAS. Which will really get confusing when the operator employs several UAS operators.

Last edited:
No, the FAA in the preamble to the NPRM had difficulty calling the person at the controls a Pilot, so they came up with "Operator", but as Tilted said, "Operator" traditionally means the owner of the aircraft, such as Jet Blue and United are Operators. PIC is defined in the NPRM and has always meant Pilot in Command. Not to be confused with a PICC (Peripherally Inserted Central Catheter). Hope you never see one of those.

SteveMann. I just double checked my exemption and the first sentence after the "Conditions and Limitations" heading reads "In this grant of exemption, my company name, is hereafter referred to as the operator." Is this atypical then?

SteveMann. I just double checked my exemption and the first sentence after the "Conditions and Limitations" heading reads "In this grant of exemption, my company name, is hereafter referred to as the operator." Is this atypical then?
No, it's just confusing. The owner of the aircraft is "The Operator", but the PIC is also being called "The Operator". In a single pilot, single aircraft operation, then "Owner/Operator" would work. When your company owns a fleet of aircraft and employs several pilot/operators, the FAA is going to learn the folly of not calling the PIC a pilot.

The FAA also uses "Operator" to mean pilot in 14 CFR §91.501:
"Flights conducted by the operator of an airplane for his personal transportation, or the transportation of his guests when no charge, assessment, or fee is made for the transportation;"​

If you really want to see confusion, here is how the FAA defines "Operator":
14 CFR § 161.1
"Aircraft operator, for purposes of this part, means any owner of an aircraft that operates the aircraft, i.e., uses, causes to use, or authorizes the use of the aircraft; or in the case of a leased aircraft, any lessee that operates the aircraft pursuant to a lease. As used in this part, aircraft operator also means any representative of the aircraft owner, or in the case of a leased aircraft, any representative of the lessee empowered to enter into agreements with the airport operator regarding use of the airport by an aircraft."​

Even a paper test is ridiculous, because again, controlling an actual aircraft isn't even remotely similar... Granted, I have no plans for using my P3P professionally, but it's still ridiculous and needs to be fought...

The reason they are potentially requiring a pilot's license or a paper test to earn one is not because of the skill of flying your drone, rather it's because having earned a pilot's license or passing a paper test means that you understand the rules and regulations of the airspace. Specifically altitude restrictions near or around airports and virtually anywhere else you might fly your drone. Bottom line is that licensed pilots know and understand how to safely integrate/operate their drones and unlicensed pilots operating drones are the real potential for disaster and ultimately are the ones giving this industry a bad name.

Reactions: BigAl07 and Milo223
My application for a LLC has been approved for a company that will do drone photography. The LLC of course is just an incorporation limiting liability.

My question is this; I'll need to begin advertising locally in a small paper. There is no law or regulation that prohibits flying a drone for business purposes, I have checked. Obviously, you need to follow existing state and local laws besides the FAA quidelines along with National Park guidelines.

Therefore, should I advertise or start by word of mouth which is more time consuming and possibly not as effective?
As the person who has successfully marketed a tourism destination for many years, I was stopped in my tracks at the assumption that newspaper advertising was at the top of your priority list.

Like every other business I know of, we have been moving away from traditional media for the past few years and do very very little radio, TV, magazine or newspaper and put all of our time and energy where our customers are- online.

Compile the amazing photos and videos you no doubt have, and start a FBOOK page and YouTube channel and load it up with content before promoting it.

Create a great website, spend some money on a search engine optimization person and target your customers. Have a highlight reel on your device, and get out and meet with clients and show them your stuff in person.

Scott

Reactions: BigAl07 and Jogle
I think that you to start by defining your deliverables. Images. Choose a focused market that will pay for images. Say, real estate. You charge for finished product such as editing skills. How you take the raw files is not part of your service and you don't charge for the camera.

333 IS REQUIRED for commercial operations.

A lot of people are making up rules out of thin air. I keep hearing "if you fly over my private property, I'll shoot you down". Sorry dude, but you can't legally do that because nobody owns the sky. The FAA controls the airspace, and the regs see no difference in a plastic drone or a 747. If someone shoots your drone, they are in violation of Federal regs and the penalties are extremely harsh. Under "Admistrative Law" you are guilty until you prove yourself innocent (at great expen$e. There will also be state/local charges for illegal discharge of a weapon and damages for the drone. NOTE: That is also a good counter argument to state/local anti-drone laws. They have no authority over the airspace and can not counter to Federal Law.

The requirements for a pilot's license and an "Airworthiness Certificate" are chiseled in stone from decades past. The FAA agrees that the rules are ridiculous, but they say that only an act of Congress can change them. An airworthiness certificate can cost millions. The 333 Exemption is relief from that rule.

I am not a lawyer, I'm just a dumb jet pilot, and nothing here should be considered legal advice. I have done a lot of research and strongly suggest consult your attorney - but I would steer away the lawyer mentioned above. Find someone who knows the FAA.

WHen you say "pilot's license", are you actually referring to a license for flying an actual airplane? As if controlling an airplane is even remotely similar to flying a quadcopter? And nobody finds this ridiculous?
I do! That's why I will be starting an LLC to work with realtors and contractors for house pictures, roof inspections, etc. I REFUSE to recognize the FAA's ridiculous rule of requiring a pilot's license to fly a drone. The rest of you wimps feel free to jump through their hoops, and yes, I obey all rules regarding airports, hospitals, etc.

Reactions: dysan911
Thanks,
The FAA regg is not required by law to do commercial work, ck'd with a drone lawyer. . . . . Flight plans are supposed to e filed if you have a pilots license and the exemption.

I want the name and email of your 'drone lawyer'. Also, the 333 Exemption offers a blanket COA up to 200'AGL, so you don't need separate flight plans for those.

Reactions: BigAl07
Don't forget your State Department of Transportation - Office of Aeronautics. In Minnesota they require you to register your FAA N-Number (required by the 333), and need you to get a commercial operations license. Also, from 10/17/15 announcement, the DOT wants ALL drones, whether for hobby or business, to be registered at the Point Of Sale with the owners information, probably a picture ID like a Drivers License. DOT wants this in place before Christmas.

I really don't know but it seems drones are being singled out when compared to RC Aircraft - really no difference other that a drone is easier to fly and it has a camera attached to it - do RC operators have hoops (this ridiculous or proposed ridiculous rules) to jump through. The pilot rule is totally typical government just blindly applying rules just to cover their bureaucratic tale ends, until they finish dragging their feet - if all the drone operators flew their aircraft responsibly this conversation would never have taken place - being the wimp (as define by jlgrant50) I will - except for the plot thing - follow the rules and hope the FAA comes up with something appropriate - when jlgrant50 flies through someones window or a neighbor objects to a drone overhead - someone complains to the FAA that joe blow's aerial real estate photography company and the FAA tracks them down and finds no hoop jumping has taken place - remember due to unfair press coverage the FAA is probably looking for heads to chop - good luck - more and more realtors are asking for proof you have the proper paperwork and insurance to provide a real estate photo service via drone - I know, I was in front of a group and we got off subject and they asked when I could use my drone for photos - the broker reminded them that they should use no service unless they have all the t's crossed. This "wimp" wishes jlgrant50 good luck in the endeavor - happy hoop jumping to my fellow wimps :>)

I really don't know but it seems drones are being singled out when compared to RC Aircraft - really no difference other that a drone is easier to fly and it has a camera attached to it - do RC operators have hoops (this ridiculous or proposed ridiculous rules) to jump through.
Same rules apply whether your machine has wings or rotors. It's just that multirotors are so much easier to use that means so many people use them.
remember due to unfair press coverage the FAA is probably looking for heads to chop -
Have a look at the FAA's database full of spurious reports and the way they have been using it and feeding the media with misleading or outright deceptive stories.
The media runs away with this but the FAA winds them up and sets them loose.

Reactions: skyeboysteve
I do! That's why I will be starting an LLC to work with realtors and contractors for house pictures, roof inspections, etc. I REFUSE to recognize the FAA's ridiculous rule of requiring a pilot's license to fly a drone. The rest of you wimps feel free to jump through their hoops, and yes, I obey all rules regarding airports, hospitals, etc.

First you should understand the concept of "piercing the corporate veil". It means that if you set up an LLC for the purposes of protecting yourself from liability, the court can elect to hold you personally liable.

And as far as the FAA is concerned, an LLC will offer you no protection. They can still cite you as the operator for breaking their rules regardless of the corporate label you operate under.

And you wouldn't be able to use any liability insurance in case you cause damage or injury.

Otherwise, yeah. Sounds like a great idea!

Reactions: BigAl07
First you should understand the concept of "piercing the corporate veil". It means that if you set up an LLC for the purposes of protecting yourself from liability, the court can elect to hold you personally liable.

And as far as the FAA is concerned, an LLC will offer you no protection. They can still cite you as the operator for breaking their rules regardless of the corporate label you operate under.

And you wouldn't be able to use any liability insurance in case you cause damage or injury.

Otherwise, yeah. Sounds like a great idea!
You are exactly correct and if as in Texas you're a home inspector and licensed by the state you could end up with a complaint to the real estate commission and should the UAV your using is not properly permitted another and just as bad as dealing w/ the FAA can of worms has been opened -

It's not an FAA rule, it's Federal Law: 49 U.S. Code § 44711

Reactions: SightFlight
Agreed @msinger. It is becoming more widely known now that commercial use is prohibited without that 333 exemption. It would for sure be a good thing to advertise so that potential customers know that the drone operator is good to go. I suppose you can't even get liability insurance for commercial use without that 333 exemption. Since it takes so long to get and from what I hear is not that easy to get, why wouldn't someone advertise they have it?

@Jimmykjimmy, how was the 333 exemption process for you? It seems complicated with a long backlog at the FAA. Is that what you found, or was it smooth? When you apply, can you use both your personal name and the name of your LLC or do they need to be separate applications?

Sorry for the questions, but the whole process to be legal for commercial use interests me in case I ever want to give it a go as something to do for fun on the side. I'm retired, so time is not an issue! Cheers.
And howwould anyone know it was for commercial purposes.Time to try to beat Mr. Tax.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik