Question regarding airspace approval

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

The location that I want to fly commercially is set at a max altitude of 0ft on the FAA facility grid map. The location is about 1.9NM from the airport in Surface Class E airspace.

I already applied for a waiver and it's been about 1.5 months and I'm aware that the FAA is backed up in regards to the waiver process.

However, I was just curious if anyone has been approved for a waiver if they requested to fly at one of the 0ft max altitude locations.

Thanks!

All altitudes in the grid map are determined at the facility level (Control Tower)*.

The exception is Class E airspace not associated with a Class D (Control Tower). Either way, whoever determined the altitudes in the grid map is who will determine if they will allow you to operate above the published altitude.

In your case you are asking to operate in a 0 ft area. It is not impossible to get the approval from the local facility, but there is a reason they do not want drone operations in that area, hence the 0 ft.

Since you are operating as a 107 operator you need to apply through the FAA website. Request to Operate in Controlled Airspace

If you are insistent on flying in the 0 ft area begin by applying for an Authorization, NOT a Waiver. The request will work it's way through the system to the Facility that determined the grid map altitudes. Odds are they will deny it. The best advice I can give you is to contact the facility before filing for the Airspace Authorization and ask them what you need to do to get them to approve the request. IF, they are willing to work with you and give you what you need, enter that information into the appropriate field on the form at the link above. Also enter who you talked with and the phone number of the facility you coordinated with. A FACILITY CANNOT APPROVE YOUR OPERATION DIRECTLY, it must be done through the link above.

Good luck. Keep in mind drone operations within the National Airspace System (NAS) are new to the controller workforce and there is still a lot of getting use to on how drones are tracked and handled.

*It is actual air traffic controllers at most facilities that determined what altitudes they are comfortable with you flying at in their airspace. Drone operations are now part of the controller handbook and controllers now have certain responsibilities they didn't have before.

See my original post regarding this here:
Part 107? Here's how to file for Airspace Authorizations

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31