Question on LAANC

Reaction score
I'm going to do a LAANC request for a flight in Arizona in a few days. This will be the first time me doing a LAANC request. My question is, if I get permission for a flight in advance and for some reason need to cancel, is there something I need do in the app to let them know. I'll be using Aloft.

Thanks in advance.

I'm going to do a LAANC request for a flight in Arizona in a few days. This will be the first time me doing a LAANC request. My question is, if I get permission for a flight in advance and for some reason need to cancel, is there something I need do in the app to let them know. I'll be using Aloft.

Thanks in advance.
Nah.. i usually just let them expire

If you choose to not fly the project there is nothing further you need to do. You may also need to get an unlock key through DJI flysafe to be able to fly

Reactions: snowghost
Even though the site is in Class D Airspace, the DJI Fly Safe doesn't include the launch point. LAANC will give me auto approval to 200'.

Even though the site is in Class D Airspace, the DJI Fly Safe doesn't include the launch point. LAANC will give me auto approval to 200'.
Roughly where in AZ were you planning to fly, @snowghost ? I live in Prescott and there's several areas where, even though it's within the Controlled Airspace of the local airport (KPRC), LAANC will give approval for up to the 400' maximum. Closer-in, lower, of course; for example, at/near our club ham station/Yavapai Jeep Posse building, the approval is for up to 50' because it's on or very near the approach/departure path to Runway 3R/21L, but my friend (who's also interested in flying drones), while still inside the CA, can get approval for up to 400' in his area, and he's not too far away from the club station. Of course, he's also not almost in a direct line with the approach/departure path, either.

Last edited:
Regarding LAANC.....
When you submit a request for "XYZ" area, and get approval, does that request/approval also go to the local tower (in my case, KPRC) and let them know there'll be low altitude drone ops in that area, so they can let helo pilots know of it, should they be heading that direction?

Suggestion: Make a request as if you are flying the air space here, now, today. Limit time requested to 15 minutes.

If instant approval at the altitude requested is given, you’ll see how requests automatically time out.

More importantly, if immediate approval is NOT given, you’ll learn what further actions may be needed to get it.

FYI, concise, accurate advice here on LANCC, timing of requests, and potential snags.

AeroMechAZ the area is in Mesa near Falcon Field.

Suggestion: Make a request as if you are flying the air space here, now, today. Limit time requested to 15 minutes.

If instant approval at the altitude requested is given, you’ll see how requests automatically time out.

More importantly, if immediate approval is NOT given, you’ll learn what further actions may be needed to get it.
That is great idea. Good way to test your approval process

AeroMechAZ the area is in Mesa near Falcon Field.
@snowghost, depending on how 'near' to KFFG your flight will be, will determine how high your flight can be with authorization. Check the FAA Facility Maps (LAANC Grids) for the area within the Controlled Airspace around KFFG to see the max height you can fly (you'll still need to get the authorization, even if the max altitude is 400' in that grid area)).
Here's the FAA Facility Map link (if the link takes you to the zoomed-in area near KFFG, then it's good; otherwise, just click on the locator (small circle with 'crosshairs' in the upper left side) to zoom in on your location and go from there:
FAA Facility Map for Falcon Field
Obviously, you won't be able to fly in....or into.... any of the "0" grids, but you should be able to get :AANC authorization for any of the others in that area.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers