Question about the right cable for updating P4P

Reaction score
Now this may seem obvious, but my Phantom 4 Pro controller is telling me that I need to update my drone. Naturally, this requires a cable connection. Sadly, I now have a newer phone, and the old cable cannot be found, either. The new phone has a USB-C connector. So...no updates until I get a cable to do it with.

DJI doesn't seem to list any "update" cables on their website. Should I presume that I need a plain USB-C to Micro-USB Type-B cable? (male to male, of course)

Links to a good source for the absent cable will be appreciated. So far, B&H camera, my original source for the drone, hasn't coughed one up. I'm pretty sure Amazon will have them, but there isn't any point in looking if it isn't the right cable.

I'm kinda new at this drone stuff, too. I bought it late in 2018, but haven't had as much time as I would prefer. After reading a few posts in this forum, it occurs to me that updating might not even be a good idea.

Information on my system:
App= 4.3.32
remote controller= 01.04.01.00
Android 8.0.0

Last edited:
Now this may seem obvious, but my Phantom 4 Pro controller is telling me that I need to update my drone. Naturally, this requires a cable connection. Sadly, I now have a newer phone, and the old cable cannot be found, either. The new phone has a USB-C connector. So...no updates until I get a cable to do it with.

DJI doesn't seem to list any "update" cables on their website. Should I presume that I need a plain USB-C to Micro-USB Type-B cable? (male to male, of course)

Links to a good source for the absent cable will be appreciated. So far, B&H camera, my original source for the drone, hasn't coughed one up. I'm pretty sure Amazon will have them, but there isn't any point in looking if it isn't the right cable.

I'm kinda new at this drone stuff, too. I bought it late in 2018, but haven't had as much time as I would prefer. After reading a few posts in this forum, it occurs to me that updating might not even be a good idea.

Information on my system:
App= 4.3.32
remote controller= 01.04.01.00
Android 8.0.0
Sounds like you need a lot cable adapter ,,this allows UBS to work into the micro port,,,this one for android,,
15856355626347964851265712462385.jpg

Updates of any kind should be researched prior to initiating that step.
Example. The new update on the go4 app includes an annoying message that tells you when you are beyond line of sight distance. The message can not be removed from the screen. Yes I understand the reason and the rules at hand, but I still find it to be more clutter on the screen than needs to be there. If what you have now flys well and serves its purpose, may be better to leave well enough alone.
Lucky for me, I have two iPad mini’s. One that is back a few notches on firmware and not going to be updated.

Updates of any kind should be researched prior to initiating that step.
Example. The new update on the go4 app includes an annoying message that tells you when you are beyond line of sight distance. The message can not be removed from the screen. Yes I understand the reason and the rules at hand, but I still find it to be more clutter on the screen than needs to be there. If what you have now flys well and serves its purpose, may be better to leave well enough alone.
Lucky for me, I have two iPad mini’s. One that is back a few notches on firmware and not going to be updated.

I was reading a bit on the forum last night about that problem. So far, I haven't seen that warning sign, and I thought my android was all updated on software.

My current problem is that I am being instructed to update the drone itself, not the Go4 app. I haven't even figured out yet how to determine what version of the updates that are on my machine. Perhaps someone will comment?

I think I can answer that.

Telescopes generally come with a measured resolution capacity, generally measured in degrees. If an object is mathematically smaller than that resolution can distinguish, the telescope cannot "resolve" that object.

The drone knows exactly where it is, and the controller does also. Each has their own GPS location. After the locations are compared by the software, it's pretty easy to do the math. I'm sure the folks at DJI have established a maximum distance for visibility using known human eye resolution parameters.

The message concerning Update reads how? Is it a request or a demand? If you don’t have to do it please don’t!

If it flies the way it is, let it be

The message is based on the distance as shown in the app. It is only a message that appears in the upper left of the screen. It doesn’t effect any operation of the aircraft.

The message concerning Update reads how? Is it a request or a demand? If you don’t have to do it please don’t!

If it flies the way it is, let it be

Yes, it still flies ok. I have been bypassing that update request, although I generally let the Go4 do it automatically.

As I recall, the Go4 request is for updating FAA flight restricted areas stored in the P4P itself. I'm at work now, and can't get the exact language until later today.

I guess all updates are considered to be an additional restriction of some sort with no functional improvements? I'm not too adventurous with my drone activities, although I certainly don't limit my distance to how far away I can see it. That wouldn't be worth owning a drone at all, since I can only see it about 200' away in the air. We have too many trees around here; it is a rare area where you can see very far to the horizon unless you fly way high. 200' to 400' is my norm. Trees scare me with my drone, and I climb trees for a living. I've already fetched that little sucker out of a tree once, and I decided that was all that was ever going to happen.

Last edited:
I was reading a bit on the forum last night about that problem. So far, I haven't seen that warning sign, and I thought my android was all updated on software.

My current problem is that I am being instructed to update the drone itself, not the Go4 app. I haven't even figured out yet how to determine what version of the updates that are on my machine. Perhaps someone will comment?
Ok in the app click on ABOUT in settings,,this p4s just example..this will show what you have currently,,yes firmware is optional,only few get forced into doing it,,I had to update after ignoring for ages so they choose to lock my drone,,it still flew just fine before aswell,,its annoying to have someone else controlling us on something we buy but we use the app which gets them under our finger nails,,its like they still have part ownership,,,
Screenshot_20200401-100536.jpg
Screenshot_20200401-100754.jpg

Reactions: dronesky
Ok in the app click on ABOUT in settings,,this p4s just example..this will show what you have currently,,yes firmware is optional,only few get forced into doing it,,I had to update after ignoring for ages so they choose to lock my drone,,it still flew just fine before aswell,,its annoying to have someone else controlling us on something we buy but we use the app which gets them under our finger nails,,its like they still have part ownership,,,View attachment 117885View attachment 117886

Yep. I previously post my "about" information, although my controller didn't reveal the "Aircraft" version number.

Apart from updating it, and letting it figure it out, do you have any suggestions?

Thanks guys, but I have previously recovered the information on the remote. What is unknown is whatever firmware or version is residing in the P4P drone itself. My remote is not reporting that single piece of information in the "about" information section. As I recall, it says "not available", even when the drone is wirelessly connected and running.

Of course, I'll bet it becomes available if I update it with the new cord (pending).

Thanks guys, but I have previously recovered the information on the remote. What is unknown is whatever firmware or version is residing in the P4P drone itself. My remote is not reporting that single piece of information in the "about" information section. As I recall, it says "not available", even when the drone is wirelessly connected and running.

Of course, I'll bet it becomes available if I update it with the new cord (pending).
Ah ok sorry I delete my post cause it was irrelevant,,try linking again it might show,,

Update: I have the necessary cable to update the drone with.

That being said, I haven't done it yet. I guess I am waiting for a better reason than "DJI wants me to".

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers