Question about flight modes.

I fly twice a month (international and domestic) and not once has a flight been cancelled due to Kp index (including occasions when i have happend to look at UAV forecast while sitting in the flight lounge and high numbers were indicated).

To answer the OP loss of GPS or Compass throwing a leg out of bed will make any reported AC position as depicted on the map in GO unreliable so trying to follow the green line to the extent it remained visible would prove difficult if not impossible.

I have flown with a dodgy compass calibration and the AC heading as depicted in the radar in GO was 180 deg out. If i wasnt close enough to cleary see the orientation of the AC i would have had no hope of landing.

I am not getting excited at all. Calm down.:cool:
Yes, thank you. I know all of what you are pointing out. I have been building and flying quads for years. I have had GPS modules burn up mid flight before. I have had compasses go completely out of wack mid-flight before. I know I would have full control and I am very well capable of flying with the sticks without a compass or GPS or even a gyro. I was asking if the yellow or green direct line to home would still be accurate on the app in case I was far away and could not tell my orientation. I know it uses the GPS corordanince and compass to show on the tablet which direction is home. I was curious if it used what it knew before the malfunction or if the guidance lines disappeared after the malfunction.
I have used the RTH function many many times on many different builds. It is definitely a much appreciated function when it is needed, that is when it works correctly. ;)
Thank you for your input though. I got a chuckle out of it.
The line to home will remain unless you the app is reset. I have lost contact plenty of times and the line stays on the map and the position of the drone versus the line is updated when you regain signal. However, it the app is shut down for any reason, you will lose the line as the home point is no longer recorded though the aircraft has recorded it so it will come back.

It only took till the second page for the OP to get an answer. The bickering was entertaining though. And for the record, I'd have to agree with Vertigo on every point although my knowledge on the subject matter is somewhat limited.

To the op, the situation you describe has only happened to me once, and the line remained, and was fairly accurate. I don't think I would rely on that for a go to failsafe though.

When flying in P mode, on the map there is a green or yellow line drawn to show the direct route back to home. If I fly out a couple miles and it looses satellite connection for some reason and it switches to atti or if I have a compass error, will that line still be there? So I can fly back manually. If not, will RTH work if I hit the button on the controller?
I could probably test this myself, but I was just sitting here thinking about it because I flew over some heavily wooded rolling hills (small mountains really) with no reference but trees. I was wondering what I would do if I lost GPS, compass, video or all three.
Well if you lost all of your telemetry and everything else I hope you can find it in one piece. I would hope such a catastrophic failure never occurs. If it is out of sight hit RTH to bring it back overhead. If you did create a good home point and compass set before taking off it would return home automatically....with GPS gone Compass gone ...Quadcopter....gone!! It will auto land on low battery but where and how well it can land are the big problem. You could try find my phantom but it may only show last good GPS lock. I have attached a small Bluetooth tracking chip to mine that will make a sound when you are in a small area near it (200'). I also built a small high pitched pizo speaker using a 2032 battery I turn on before I take off you can hear it out to about 150'. It will run non stop for 24-36 hours maybe longer I got tired of the noise during my test and turned it off .

Well if you lost all of your telemetry and everything else I hope you can find it in one piece. I would hope such a catastrophic failure never occurs. If it is out of sight hit RTH to bring it back overhead. If you did create a good home point and compass set before taking off it would return home automatically....with GPS gone Compass gone ...Quadcopter....gone!! It will auto land on low battery but where and how well it can land are the big problem. You could try find my phantom but it may only show last good GPS lock. I have attached a small Bluetooth tracking chip to mine that will make a sound when you are in a small area near it (200'). I also built a small high pitched pizo speaker using a 2032 battery I turn on before I take off you can hear it out to about 150'. It will run non stop for 24-36 hours maybe longer I got tired of the noise during my test and turned it off .
I have a couple of those location beepers. I forgot about them. I used them on my QAV250. I will have to attach one. But if it's a mile away, I will never find it anyway.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using PhantomPilots mobile app

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl