quadcopter is aimed at first responders

Reaction score
Concept for the use of UAV's starting to gain momentum
Responder Use
UAV use.png

Shucks, we had $50,000 left over in the budget and we had to spend it on SOMETHING. Besides if it flies away at 140mph we'll just get another one next year.

Seriously, 140mph? How many of those will still be in one piece after the first year.

This is the drone I was looking for. I have the extra money sitting around, so I ordered two of them, just to have a back up one. I mean this is great. I can’t wait for it to get delivered. I am stoked!:p

Wait, my wife just found out. She gave me the blessings to buy any drone I wanted, as long as it cost under a $100 US.:oops:

A pretty consistent problem with drones is stewardship. A police force or roofing company or rescue service will buy a drone and it will sit in a closet until they need it. Rarely are considerations made for maintenance. This week alone I've had 3 Mavic Pro batteries and 3 Inspire 1 batteries brought to me; "Can you fix these?" "Sorry...no...I can't. They sat in a closet for 1.5 years. You get what you get."

This multiplies when you have a gas engine. Drone stewardship is a hands-on responsibility. Drones must be used regularly (I personally recommend twice a month minimal), and batteries must be stored and discharged correctly (0% every 10 flights). NOBODY does this. So I can imagine this gas-powered drone (2-stroke, I imagine) will have old gas sitting in the tank for months on end. Or batteries stored with 100% capacity because the on-board generator keeps them charged.

All that said, this seems like an awesome drone. Let's see if it actually gets built.

D

Reactions: Starz
Now you gonna get the battery brigade started on the 0% drain every
10 flights ?
I have been doing it for years but may be more than 10 flights if I forget. Has worked for me great as getting the most out of my batteries.

Reactions: Tony McDrone
A pretty consistent problem with drones is stewardship. A police force or roofing company or rescue service will buy a drone and it will sit in a closet until they need it. Rarely are considerations made for maintenance. This week alone I've had 3 Mavic Pro batteries and 3 Inspire 1 batteries brought to me; "Can you fix these?" "Sorry...no...I can't. They sat in a closet for 1.5 years. You get what you get."

This multiplies when you have a gas engine. Drone stewardship is a hands-on responsibility. Drones must be used regularly (I personally recommend twice a month minimal), and batteries must be stored and discharged correctly (0% every 10 flights). NOBODY does this. So I can imagine this gas-powered drone (2-stroke, I imagine) will have old gas sitting in the tank for months on end. Or batteries stored with 100% capacity because the on-board generator keeps them charged.

All that said, this seems like an awesome drone. Let's see if it actually gets built.

D
yep not problem free that's for sure. Major problem is that weather is almost always adverse when you want to use them most especially on long campaign fires. Think bad weather in CA.
Then you need an accredited operator. May not be a problem where you have salaried staff but problematic for volunteers.
Also not sure of long term effects of particle laden smoke on plastics etc etc. Maintenance may be a costly issue.
Oh well lets wait & see or we sub-contract to Defence Departments for their goodies.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic