Quad control for filming - pre reading request

Reaction score
Good morning.

My P3A should arrive this week.
I'm a new flyer, basically got myself a simple blade 180 six weeks ago and been flying it as often as I can purely to train myself on general flying nd quad control in prep for the P3. I've also been reading and watching anything I can so I don't walk in blind.

I'm looking forward to learning over time, and I tend to go to remote places here in Australia so it will be a great companion... But first I'm headed into a long weekend where we have 2500 youth camping and playing 40 different sports.... Weekend after this one.

So whilst I anxiously await it arriving in the next few days I'm looking for tutorials or info about quad control for video. With no waypoints or POI and limited IOC it will be mostly manual so need to start training myself on things like circling round focused on a fixed item or rotating pans.

Is there any advice or videos on that sort of stuff? I've seen heaps of phantom specific videos and guides and a bunch of general quad flying guides but struggling to find similar for optimal flying techniques to obtain the classic shots.

If you're able to fly that 180 nicely you should be fine. Exactly what I did before buying my vision plus last year. Now with the p3 I feel more than able to do anything.
I'd recommend turning your Gimbal wheel speed down to start for smoother panning. Thr default is very fast and tends to get jumpy.

Hard to really give tips the p3 compared to your blade is going to be unreal. I bet after your first p3 flight you are going to be mind blown.

Jealous you live down under! Good luck post pics and videos.

LOL. Yeah it's nice down here... But getting new tech and/or accessories is neither a cheap or quick process unfortunately so it's a trade off.

I'm practising trying to nose in circle with the blade which is.... challenging. Biggest change I think will be height. With the small fully manual non-fpv quad doing anything much more than twenty metres up and/or thirty metres out becomes a bit of guesswork and intuition.

These videos are great and exactly what you're asking for:

http://www.skillshare.com/classes/p...eative-Direction-for-Drone-Filming/1023605416

I learned a lot from them!

Chris

Nice find DrChris!

That's exactly what I was after from a composition perspective.
Ideally I would love to have some tutorials more focused on sticks/controls for quad positioning to execute (straight movements are obviously easy but there's finesse to pans while flying sideways or nose in circles without follow me or IOC) but I'm guessing the answer to that is practice lol.

Going to be fun with no extra batteries (unlikely to arrive before I go away) so at best I'll get two fifteen minute flights per day in the lead up next week and maybe three each day for the long weekend. Bloody recharging and short daylight hours

For me, the next challenge after watching the above videos was to find things that I want to film and start thinking about shots I want to make, then learn how to execute those shots.

One move that I'm trying to improve is panning while tilting the gimbal up or down with both movements being smooth. Both of these controls are in the left hand and training my non-dominant hand to be smooth with both is hard. (But I'm getting better!).

A similar movement is tilting the gimbal down while ascending (or up while descending). Again, both movements in the left hand.

Can't wait to see some of your video!
Chris

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.