PSA / WARNING: This Can Happen To You

Out of curiosity, what is the cost to implement all the required hardware into the P2 with this solution?

Cheap. The boards are $5 each from OSH, Teensy is $18. The rest is a few bucks more. The cost is the time and effort to get the parts, solder them, test the boards, install the firmware and install them on the bird.

Link to über geeky thread on building an interface to the Naza/A2 CAN bus: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2071772

I will probably get shot down here, but are we looking for complexity where there is none?
A device that requires 2.4/5.8ghz, GPS and a digital compass to fly will, at some stage, behave unexpectedly in area with large amounts of steel, flat surfaces (multipathing) and potential interference.
Surely one, or any combination of the above are more likely candidates than errant coding?

You predicted correctly. I am going to shoot your theory down. :) On sound principles as well.

Multipath is why you have a diversity setup for the radio. Further to this, radio interference will not cause the Phantom to flyaway. It can cause it to lose radio connection and go into failsafe.

GPS multipath isn't an issue unless you're sandwiched between tall buildings. Even then, it will only cause a fall back to ATTi. And even with limited access to the sky and multipathing, DGPS makes the most of the few SVs you can lock in.

Magnetic interference is very localized. I check every surface before I take off. Granite sidewalks are a no no. Once in the air, unless you fly within a meter of an exposed steel structure, you're not going to see much of anything. So, unless someone within 100m turned on a giant electromagnet, that's off the list as well.

Last edited:
Cheap. The boards are $5 each from OSH, Teensy is $18. The rest is a few bucks more. The cost is the time and effort to get the parts, solder them, test the boards, install the firmware and install them on the bird.

Link to über geeky thread on building an interface to the Naza/A2 CAN bus: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2071772

I'm in, been looking for a soldering project. Thanks!

I've completely lost confidence in the product. This happened to my P2 a couple of weeks ago and like yourself I make sure everything is calibrated etc. Can I ask what firmware version your P2 is on ?

I fear that these eventual failures from a Phantom or Inspire or indeed any multirotor have to be expected. When you consider how sophisticated they are for the actual cost. And has anyone had a PC that has not "crashed" or frozen at some point. And with no built in redundancy there is nothing to save the craft if anything other than the camera or gimbal fails. At 200+ flights I think you had a good run but at some point the luck runs out! When my luck runs out with my Phantom I just hope it does not involve any third party damage!
Was the footage you posted from that flight before the crash or general footage from another flight? Did the crash corrupt that last flight recording?

Reactions: ianwood
I fear that these eventual failures from a Phantom or Inspire or indeed any multirotor have to be expected. When you consider how sophisticated they are for the actual cost. And has anyone had a PC that has not "crashed" or frozen at some point. And with no built in redundancy there is nothing to save the craft if anything other than the camera or gimbal fails. At 200+ flights I think you had a good run but at some point the luck runs out! When my luck runs out with my Phantom I just hope it does not involve any third party damage!

Agreed. It's a reminder to be careful in all circumstances.

Was the footage you posted from that flight before the crash or general footage from another flight? Did the crash corrupt that last flight recording?

Only the last 20 seconds or so but unfortunately that included the video of the crash. I used to use a ground based DVR on my FPV but having upgraded to Lightbridge, I need to get an HDMI based portable DVR. About $300 for an entry level one. That's on it's way.

Sorry to read about you flyaway and crash, Ian! I too had great faith in my P2, even taking it 3 km over the ocean...until I lost my 2nd one. Now its shorter distances and nervous time every flight.

I need to get an HDMI based portable DVR. About $300 for an entry level one. That's on it's way.

Instead of paying $300 for an HDMI DVR, did you consider an HDMI-to-Composite converter + regular DVR? A converter is $15:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-Compos...Converter-Adapter-HD-720p-1080p-/181715715413

and an RMRC DVR is $115:
http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1204

I have the RMRC DVR and it's worked great so far. Just a thought.

Excellent graphics in your video, BTW.

Reactions: ianwood
Didn't think that. I've got the RMRC DVR as well. I'll have to try it. Thanks.

The one fly away I had, in hundreds of flights, with P2 and FC40, was my second flight with the FC40. Almost the same thing. Flying great and smooth and suddenly it started to bank hard and race off to the lake. Managed to regain control for a few seconds before I lost control again but it was enough to bring it down fast in a shallow dive away from the water, so it flew into the soft vegetation alongside the beach.

At that time I determined (with certainty) it was a bad battery contact, causing Naza to lose or mess up the IMU data. After I made sure the connection was secure (mainly cleaning the contacts and widening the contact pins (standard lipo, XT60 connector), never had any problem again. And that has been exactly a year from now.

With a P2 the battery is different but still, a bad connection always possible.

Hi All
When this was happening did anyone switch to manual mode or ATTI?And if so what was the result?Not trying to armchair quarterback here,just asking.As a newbie to multirotors looks like only 2 modes fly or die,meaning no wings to glide with and seems we are never several mistakes high.Personally I would have soiled my pants while saying OH Dear God NOOOO not thinking about flipping a switch to manual.And will going to manual will it bypass the wigged out IMU?
Thanks for listening

After 150 flights on my P2V I had an incident where the Phantom was in static hover 3M off the ground at the end of a flight with 25% battery and it just pitched over and dove into the ground. Only damage was a bent airframe arm (needed a new shell). Everything checked as normal and I have an additional 50 flights on the new shell. Never did figure out what the cause was, I was in the middle of a grassy field with no towers or structures in sight. What sucks is this was the first flight of the day and I still had 4 full batteries left :) I am so hoping that the P3 will come with all of the corrections the P2 went thru and not have to many new ones. This was the only problem I have ever had with my P2 and I am just glad it didn't happen ay 100' or over water.

RF noise won't cause a flyaway. If you fly in front of a microwave repeater, it's a very focused beam and will effectively irradiate the innards of your bird for as long as you are in it. Even then, the effects wouldn't be very strong or long lasting and wouldn't result in a sustained uncontrolled flyaway.

I still haven't understood if at the moment of the anomaly you were on GPS or not. Also, how can you state no interference when you are literally surrounded from hundreds of buildings?

ian, so sorry to hear of your incident :(

Is it just me or does all videos with strange behavior or fly aways somehow relate to go pros, because with almost all these vids there's sound, which u don't get from phantom camera.

I've completely lost confidence in the product. This happened to my P2 a couple of weeks ago and like yourself I make sure everything is calibrated etc. Can I ask what firmware version your P2 is on ?

Insane behavior. Where you in GPS? Why did you not get it back immediately or you couldn't ?

Every flyaway and close call cases I have read and seen here, Phantom flies laterally to ground. Most of the cases to the left. Is it possible, that lateral accelerometer causes this. It must have been soldered to main board, but could it (or main board) be loose inside Phantom's housing? It could get loose after hours of flying and vibration. Fastening and removing tight battery could contribute to loosening of the Phantom's internal parts. Physical wearing would explain why pilots with hundreds of flights have flyaways.

I'm novice with Phantom. I haven't knowledge what's inside Phantom, just wondering...

DJI FLY AWAYS ARE REAL!! Before I begin...here my credentials: I am an experienced RC pilot with well over 2000 hours flight time, half of which are dedicated to multi-rotor craft, I am sufficiently educated in the rules, regulations, procedures, standards, characteristics, protocols and aerodynamics of RC flight, and do not come from a family of inbreeders. Ok, my intention here is to share my story in an effort to save people from the indescribable financial, and psychological pain as suffering associated with DJI Fly-away's that have affected thousands of people around the world. After my beloved Walkera QR X350 Pro was murdered by a fire in my garage, i decided to see what all the hype was about with these DJI phantoms and how awesome they are, some professionals even claimed DJI was the best that money can buy. its all over the internet. So bury my walkera in a shallow grave, wipe away my tears.. and i jump on the DJI band wagon with the rest of the Jones's . I purchased two phantoms. First one i bought was the P330 V1, Crap...Second one was a P2,..also Crap. Both fly away's. P1 was not just a piece of crap, but a big heaping steamy nutty brown pile of elephant crap..Only a 6 minute flight time of mostly erratic behavior, 3 failed esc's, 2 failed motors and 2 failed receivers all within the first 12 flights. Both times the rx receiver failed and tx was lost, the RTH failsafe FAILED .First time it failed the P1 fell like a brick and hit the ground smashing the landing gear, battery, go-pro 3, zenmuse gimbal and compass. Second time the rx receiver failed and lost tx, it was about 50 meters up and 130 meters out when it began to fly in a tight circular pattern for 30 seconds or so...then, with a rapidly flashing yellow LED, it did a 180 and began hauling *** at full speed. Nearly inverted...it flew NW over the horizon of the pacific ocean. Spent $1500 on that piece of crap. Still confident, and willing to give DJI a second try, i purchase the Phantom 2 V2 for $2,500 with the idea that if i spend more, I'll get a more. For the most part, I was right. I did get more....more crap. It boasted several new upgrades including a more powerful Tx/Rx with stronger transmission signal and extended control range of 3,280'. Persuaded by this false sense of security and enticed by the claims of a more powerful Tx/Rx signal, I was convinced that DJI had resolved the issues with the P1 V1 and that my new P2V2 was immune to flyaway's. So I take the bait and shell out $2,500 for the top of the line P2 V2 with all the bells and whistles including a DJI 5.8GHz Video TX & RX Cloverleaf Antennas, 2.4G Datalink for DJI Ground Station, Autopilot, Go-pro Hero 4 black, Zenmuse H4-3D 3-Axis Gimbal, AVL58 5.8 GHz FPV video Link Kit, etc. So with the best DJI had to offer and sparing no expense, I launch my new P2 for the first time in the middle of the high desert of apple valley with nothing around me but a few tumbleweeds for at least 3 miles or more. 5 minutes into the first flight the P2 was 150 meters off the ground and 75 meters out when it suddenly it began to gain altitude until i could not see it anymore, i initiate a failsafe return to launch, grab my binoculars and finally i see this tiny speck in the sky...the phantom descended to 2,575 ft., did a 360 and began flying NW in an accelerated corkscrew pattern. All i could do is watch my $2,500 P2 fly NW over the horizon and out of my life for good. I was able to use GPS coordinates to track it down but there were not enough remains to identify the body. Another $2500 down the crapper. LESSON... FLY AWAYS ARE REAL. IF YOU THINK IT WONT HAPPEN TO YOU, YOU'RE WRONG. I spent top dollar on the best DJI had to offer to the tune of $2,500.00 and followed all instructions provided, performed all preflight procedures required, and complied with all precautions and requirements provided by DJI to ensure safe flight and still fell victim to controversial but very real, very expensive DJI Fly-Away. Thats when i decided to pack my bags folks, i cut my losses, bid farewell to the jones's,... jumped head first off the DJI hype wagon and onto the first wagon back to Walkera. I know walkera has had a shady past, but I had a good experience with the new QR X350. A good 300 flights and only issue i ever had was a motor and esc failure once while about 40m off the ground and still managed to land it with the 3 remaining motors by switching to manual mode and maxing out the yaw to get it spinning as fast as i could while working the throttle at the same time. it was a rough landing into the sand, but was repairable & for about $100 i was back in the sky for many many more trouble free flights. What lesson did i learn from all this?? Always go with what ya know,..And NEVER follow the jones's. Thats like the blind leading the blind. One thing that still bothers me to this day...what caused the P2 to fly away? I should not be worried about flyaway's with a two and a half thousand dollar aircraft. So that being said... Anyone got a QR x350 pro for sale??

Reactions: JdotB
Shenanigans.

You'll be missed.

I didn't think they were real. I thought they only happened to people who didn't pay attention to the details. They weren't really flyaways. Well, not any more.

Today, I had a flyaway. It was a perfectly normal flight for 11 minutes. I was reshooting a location I had shot two weeks ago. I had the P2 in a static hover about 10m off the ground (15m from me) while I figured out my last few shots.

It then took off at ~25 degrees down angle at full speed and smashed into the street. Both gimbal and Lightbridge ripped clear off and tumbled across the street. It was over in two seconds. The battery had half-way dislodged and was still on (1 solid, 1 blinking). All four props were destroyed, two right at the hub.

IMU-crash-with-text.jpg

I gathered all the pieces, cursing profusely and took them home. I then checked everything out in detail.
  • The battery is fine. 22 cycles. Balanced. Test flight on my backup P2 was 14.5 minutes.
  • IMU, no calibration needed as per the Phantom Assistant. Had advanced calibrated 2 weeks ago.
  • Compass MOD is 1403.
  • I had checked the props prior to flight and they were fine. Not so much now.
  • I ran stress tests on the ESCs / motors. Totally fine. No unusual noise. Balanced bell housings.
  • RC calibration is perfect.
  • I went back to the site, looked for any magnetic, EMI, RF sources. Nothing.
So that leaves really one maybe two possibilities:
  • Lightbridge commanded the movement (no idea if that's even possible).
  • More likely, the IMU and / or Naza locked up or received bad IMU data.
With bad data or a frozen IMU, the Naza would get bad reference data for where gravity is and then would command the motors to correct for it. That would create an unrecoverable situation.

Either way... It was a flyaway. They're real. And they can happen to you. Fortunately, it happened in an area where it was recoverable. Gimbal is bent beyond repair. The GoPro somehow took the brunt of the impact. It's gone as are the last 20 seconds of the video so no crash.
That sucks! This was as big a loss as mine was last Summer when a Seagul crashed into mine and went down into the ocean. Although, I only had the DJIP2V+. I too was completely destroyed.

DJI FLY AWAYS ARE REAL!! Before I begin...here my credentials: I am an experienced RC pilot with well over 2000 hours flight time, half of which are dedicated to multi-rotor craft, I am sufficiently educated in the rules, regulations, procedures, standards, characteristics, protocols and aerodynamics of RC flight, and do not come from a family of inbreeders. Ok, my intention here is to share my story in an effort to save people from the indescribable financial, and psychological pain as suffering associated with DJI Fly-away's that have affected thousands of people around the world. After my beloved Walkera QR X350 Pro was murdered by a fire in my garage, i decided to see what all the hype was about with these DJI phantoms and how awesome they are, some professionals even claimed DJI was the best that money can buy. its all over the internet. So bury my walkera in a shallow grave, wipe away my tears.. and i jump on the DJI band wagon with the rest of the Jones's . I purchased two phantoms. First one i bought was the P330 V1, Crap...Second one was a P2,..also Crap. Both fly away's. P1 was not just a piece of crap, but a big heaping steamy nutty brown pile of elephant crap..Only a 6 minute flight time of mostly erratic behavior, 3 failed esc's, 2 failed motors and 2 failed receivers all within the first 12 flights. Both times the rx receiver failed and tx was lost, the RTH failsafe FAILED .First time it failed the P1 fell like a brick and hit the ground smashing the landing gear, battery, go-pro 3, zenmuse gimbal and compass. Second time the rx receiver failed and lost tx, it was about 50 meters up and 130 meters out when it began to fly in a tight circular pattern for 30 seconds or so...then, with a rapidly flashing yellow LED, it did a 180 and began hauling *** at full speed. Nearly inverted...it flew NW over the horizon of the pacific ocean. Spent $1500 on that piece of crap. Still confident, and willing to give DJI a second try, i purchase the Phantom 2 V2 for $2,500 with the idea that if i spend more, I'll get a more. For the most part, I was right. I did get more....more crap. It boasted several new upgrades including a more powerful Tx/Rx with stronger transmission signal and extended control range of 3,280'. Persuaded by this false sense of security and enticed by the claims of a more powerful Tx/Rx signal, I was convinced that DJI had resolved the issues with the P1 V1 and that my new P2V2 was immune to flyaway's. So I take the bait and shell out $2,500 for the top of the line P2 V2 with all the bells and whistles including a DJI 5.8GHz Video TX & RX Cloverleaf Antennas, 2.4G Datalink for DJI Ground Station, Autopilot, Go-pro Hero 4 black, Zenmuse H4-3D 3-Axis Gimbal, AVL58 5.8 GHz FPV video Link Kit, etc. So with the best DJI had to offer and sparing no expense, I launch my new P2 for the first time in the middle of the high desert of apple valley with nothing around me but a few tumbleweeds for at least 3 miles or more. 5 minutes into the first flight the P2 was 150 meters off the ground and 75 meters out when it suddenly it began to gain altitude until i could not see it anymore, i initiate a failsafe return to launch, grab my binoculars and finally i see this tiny speck in the sky...the phantom descended to 2,575 ft., did a 360 and began flying NW in an accelerated corkscrew pattern. All i could do is watch my $2,500 P2 fly NW over the horizon and out of my life for good. I was able to use GPS coordinates to track it down but there were not enough remains to identify the body. Another $2500 down the crapper. LESSON... FLY AWAYS ARE REAL. IF YOU THINK IT WONT HAPPEN TO YOU, YOU'RE WRONG. I spent top dollar on the best DJI had to offer to the tune of $2,500.00 and followed all instructions provided, performed all preflight procedures required, and complied with all precautions and requirements provided by DJI to ensure safe flight and still fell victim to controversial but very real, very expensive DJI Fly-Away. Thats when i decided to pack my bags folks, i cut my losses, bid farewell to the jones's,... jumped head first off the DJI hype wagon and onto the first wagon back to Walkera. I know walkera has had a shady past, but I had a good experience with the new QR X350. A good 300 flights and only issue i ever had was a motor and esc failure once while about 40m off the ground and still managed to land it with the 3 remaining motors by switching to manual mode and maxing out the yaw to get it spinning as fast as i could while working the throttle at the same time. it was a rough landing into the sand, but was repairable & for about $100 i was back in the sky for many many more trouble free flights. What lesson did i learn from all this?? Always go with what ya know,..And NEVER follow the jones's. Thats like the blind leading the blind. One thing that still bothers me to this day...what caused the P2 to fly away? I should not be worried about flyaway's with a two and a half thousand dollar aircraft. So that being said... Anyone got a QR x350 pro for sale??
Hard to believe for me. You better light a candle next time you take off.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj