Prop Test

Yea I can hear my quad coming a block away.
I certainly appreciate hearing the reassuring buzz of my returning quad after an 8K round trip! Just settles the heart rate some.

I certainly appreciate hearing the reassuring buzz of my returning quad after an 8K round trip! Just settles the heart rate some.
Good point. Whe I go out of range and struggle to start flying it back into range, it does sound good to hear it coming.

I used to work on the OH-58D and they are very quiet compared to other choppers. I had read it was because they had 4 main rotor blades and their rotor tips had less of a shockwave associated with them. The UH-1 Huey was a loud beast!

OH-58D_850x-3.jpg
A retired 67N40 here, spent 20 years flying in, wrenching on, or messing with Army birds, the OH58D had great stand off pop up ability for those hellfires they carried. Very quiet birds indeed, the UH-1 (all versions) were LOUD, get them into a one-to-one situation and you could hear it coming 3 miles away.

Reactions: III% Streve
Did the transition to the Blackhawk right before retiring, good bird.
Helicopters don't fly, they beat the air into submission.
Definition: 10,000 screaming nuts and bolts flying in close formation.

So with some of our helicopters the mechanics do a real good job of lubricating those nuts and bolts. This is one fine ride! Typically the route in a pickup is just over an hour at about 5 miles per hour crawling over rocks. Just under 4 minutes in the Bell. Of course I really don't mind using the Snowcat or the new Polaris 800 Summit Snowmobiles this time of year either. At 175 horsepower and about 400 pounds the Polaris are the ride of a lifetime!

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4