Prop reflection in video? Not sure, what do you think?

Reaction score
I've got a P3 Advanced that I've got about 300 flights on. Love the video quality.

I've noticed that on sunny days, if I get to a certain angle to the sun, you can see what looks like propeller reflection in the video. It isn't the actual propeller I'm seeing, more like something reflecting into the lens.

See this video. The first rippling starts about :35 in. And of course, this is the prettiest part of the video.

Then, at 1:52 to 2:05, there is another anomaly that I've seen before. It is near the lower left quadrant of the picture. It looks like someone has a spotlight that they are shining on the ground. Is this light from the sun reflecting in through the lens optics?

Is there anything I can buy (lens hood?) that will prevent these two problems?

Thanks for any recommendations you can offer.

First might be prop glare strobing at the front filter. Don't know what could minimize it, unless you paint the undersides of the props black or maybe a better filter to minimize glare and reflections.

The second is easier. It's some Mother Nature's anomaly called a "Heiligenschein Effect" that occurs when the sun is behind the drone and usually on wet grass. Drone shadow is in the middle of the halo. I got it while messing with an Active Track orbit one morning while playing with the Tilt Lens effect in DaVinci Resolve Studio 14. Looked like some UFO halo was flying fast left-to-right over me while the drone flew in a counter-clockwise orbit. Not much you can do to avoid them other than watch the circumstances where it can occur and sometimes with the sun higher up too.

Orbit with Tilt.jpg

First might be prop glare strobing at the front filter. Don't know what could minimize it, unless you paint the undersides of the props black or maybe a better filter to minimize glare and reflections.

The second is easier. It's some Mother Nature's anomaly called a "Heiligenschein Effect" that occurs when the sun is behind the drone and usually on wet grass. Drone shadow is in the middle of the halo. I got it while messing with an Active Track orbit one morning while playing with the Tilt Lens effect in DaVinci Resolve Studio 14. Looked like some UFO halo was flying fast left-to-right over me while the drone flew in a counter-clockwise orbit. Not much you can do to avoid them other than watch the circumstances where it can occur and sometimes with the sun higher up too.

View attachment 90922

I've got a P3 Advanced that I've got about 300 flights on. Love the video quality.

I've noticed that on sunny days, if I get to a certain angle to the sun, you can see what looks like propeller reflection in the video. It isn't the actual propeller I'm seeing, more like something reflecting into the lens.

See this video. The first rippling starts about :35 in. And of course, this is the prettiest part of the video.

Then, at 1:52 to 2:05, there is another anomaly that I've seen before. It is near the lower left quadrant of the picture. It looks like someone has a spotlight that they are shining on the ground. Is this light from the sun reflecting in through the lens optics?

Is there anything I can buy (lens hood?) that will prevent these two problems?

Thanks for any recommendations you can offer.

The strobing happens as well for me. You can mitigate the strobing by doing 1) not flying directly into the sun, or if you do, tilt the camera down more, and 2) fly slower, since flying faster has the aircraft leaning forward more ... or both. Hope that yelps.

I've seen the glare spot too, always wondered what that was, and I see someone else has a named the cause.

Reactions: jimlips

View attachment 90922

Wow, thanks finding the name! I see it frequently, and not just on wet grass.

Reactions: jimlips

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4