Prop guards

Reaction score
I have recently fitted quick release prop guards from besemusa. I have had two situations where they have saved prop damage and maybe more.
From a safety standpoint they seem to make a lot of sense.
The quick release mechanism is exactly that, quick, and the drone fits the box with the modified mount points just fine.
The only downside is they are visible in shot but they can be eliminated by introducing a slight tilt in the cam.
They seem like a bit of a no brainier for the money.

I can see using them when flying around/near obstacles, such as trees, buildings, people, etc. But out in open country I don't see the need and don't use them.

U can use these one,
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1436252283.448206.jpg

That's them, from a safety standpoint they must reduce the risk of collateral damage if drone out of control. Those props are like chainsaws

The only downside is they are visible in shot but they can be eliminated by introducing a slight tilt in the cam.
To give a different opinion, they catch the wind like sails and eat your battery time or worse if the wind is stronger.
Flying around obstacles is very risky.
Much better to have a proper fear of obstacles and just keep clear of them.
If you are flying somewhere you think prop guards are a good idea, a better idea is to fly somewhere else.

Reactions: TulsaReiner
I agree with all of that especially re fear of obstacles etc, it shouldn't embolden anyone to take risks although I appreciate some might. but the two instances they have saved my drone from damage is once when it self landed with an apparently critical battery condition ( despite 60 battery power) and in auto landing clipped a fence which without guards would have been a disaster. And then second time I was slow in taking off and a gust flipped the drone on its back. The guards allowed to drone to flip clear of its props and it sat upside down still running of course till I CSC only damage was to scuff the Colorado coding on the prop hubs.
Not sure how much windage they introduce though, hadn't thought of that.

Reactions: TulsaReiner
I have them installed for now - more out of concern for tip over at landing (which after 4 flights seems unlikely - she is rock steady). I plan to remove them for a flight or two and see the difference in top speed and total flight time...

I use the Bestem prop guards (quick release) I fly where there is many trees. If I don't want to use them I just leave them off. simple.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic