• A). I use a balance rod on a glass or other surface

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • B), I have used a prop balancer less than 3 times

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • B). I have used a prop balancer approximately 4 - 10 times

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • B). I have used a prop balancer more than 10 times

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • C). My props are out of balance often and use a balancer to correct it quite a bit

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • C). I rarely need it. Only found a prop slightly out of balance a time or two.

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • C). I check them but the props are always balanced, so I haven't really needed it yet

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Reaction score
I'm wondering if I need a prop balancer. I've got some vibration.

I see lots of threads with prop discussions but it's always subjective. Seems if you don't have a prop out of balance, you don't need one (duh)....but we don't really know how often people actually find their props "out-of-balance". Usually in most threads they just say something like "I use mine"...or something like that. Maybe a poll can help give a more objective answer? Maybe.
I know it's not perfect, but it could reveal some interesting info.

I do hope you'll participate.
So please choose three of the following (one from each group) and let's see if raw data can help.

Please only vote if you currently have a balancer or had a prop balancer at one time and please remember this only is for your use of a balancer for your Phantom or other UAV (drone)

Choices in group A identify which balancer you have now or have used (choose one)
Choices in group B identify how much experience you have using a balancer (choose one)
Choices in group C identify how many times you've found out of balance props (choose one)

If you have more than one balancer, please just select the one you use most etc.

Last edited:
While I have used my balancer a lot it was not always for my Phantom as I have other RC aircraft. A balancer should be in everyones RC tool kit.

Reactions: dirkclod
A balancer should be in everyones RC tool kit.

This is precisely the subjectiveness I'm trying to get clarified.

Are Phantom props really out of balance that often? And...would occasionally just buying a new set of props be an even better investment?

When I flew Schluter RC helis decades ago, I ALWAYS checked the balance of those huge blades.
It wasn't optional with a 30" rotor span. But rarely ever did I balance the 9 or 10 inch props on my planes.

Slightly out of balance 9 inch props have very little impact on the flight characteristics of a multi rotor craft. However they do add to vibrations which may impact the integrity of the airframe and DEFINITELY impact the stability of the video produced.

Reactions: Fplvert
Slightly out of balance 9 inch props have very little impact on the flight characteristics of a multi rotor craft. However they do add to vibrations which may impact the integrity of the airframe and DEFINITELY impact the stability of the video produced.

Precisely.

This is precisely the subjectiveness I'm trying to get clarified.

Are Phantom props really out of balance that often? And...would occasionally just buying a new set of props be an even better investment?

When I flew Schluter RC helis decades ago, I ALWAYS checked the balance of those huge blades.
It wasn't optional with a 30" rotor span. But rarely ever did I balance the 9 or 10 inch props on my planes.
The point is to try to be sure everything in your power is in tip top shape. I check my props occasionally and when new. Usually they are OK, but not always. I want it to run as true & perfect as possible. Why would you not take a minute & check them?

Better in what way? Power? Vibration reduction?
For me the new props are better balanced when checked on my DuBro rig from the factory. It results in less jello even without ND filtration. I can discern no other advantages even when looking at the right/left response time analysis provided in HealthyDrones "Controls" section.

Reactions: JKDSensei
Vibration is the enemy. I have found some props are almost in perfect balance but others required quite a bit of lead tape applied to get them in balance.
Since there are so many having cracks in the motor mounts develop, it is a cheap and easy precaution to take.
Also check to make sure they are tracking correctly. Bring it to eye level on your next flight and you should only see one prop spinning if they are tracking correctly. Check each of the four one at a time.

Vibration is the enemy. I have found some props are almost in perfect balance but others required quite a bit of lead tape applied to get them in balance.
Since there are so many having cracks in the motor mounts develop, it is a cheap and easy precaution to take.
Also check to make sure they are tracking correctly. Bring it to eye level on your next flight and you should only see one prop spinning if they are tracking correctly. Check each of the four one at a time.

May I add wear safety goggles when doing this? Is there a "phobia" of losing your eyesight because I might have that one.

Out of the 6 sets of DJI props I've owned, none of them were perfectly balanced. That said, I'm assuming it's common for props to not be perfectly balanced. Prop balancers are inexpensive, so it's a good idea to get one.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic