Prop balancer for Self tightening props? And help solve airframe vibration problem.

Reaction score
G'day all,
Two things.
Is there a prop balancer that works with the self-tightening props? Most of what I've seen online want to screw fully through the prop like the ones that need a nut on top. I'm after something that will work with the selftightening ones.

Secondly, and related to the first question, I've developed a vibration throughout the airframe. The whole thing shakes quite noticeably now, where it never did before. I had put it down to minor nicks and cuts on the props, but it seemed too severe for that, and sure enough, I put brand new genuine DJI props on, and the same shake is still there. I'm a bit perplexed as to what could be the cause. It's a relatively new development. I never noticed it doing it before. Just the last two flights.
Could a motor be on its way out or something?
I'm going to try balancing the props myself just to be sure, but they're supposed to be sold already balanced (I thought)

Just search for "dji prop balancing rod".
You'll find a rod with normal and reverse threads on either end.

Motors can go out of balance too. Just take off the props, turn on the motors, rev them up a little, and feel each arm of the quad. The ones that vibrate noticeably need balancing.

Usually what's happened is that the motor (or the prop on it) was struck and the outrunner is slightly bent to one side. You can attempt to bend it the other way, or balance it by adding material to the light side. Or you can just replace either the motor or just the outrunner.

Reactions: Ezookiel
There are several good ones and I use a Du-Bro with the rod for the self tightening props . You can look on You-Tube and see several different method's of doing them .
Most of the new ones I have gotten and all of them are DJI ones have been balanced right out of the pack but have had some that just needed a little tweaking .
Check the rubber dampeners and see if ones came out or looks like this one .

Attachments

• 13C1A5E1-BFD7-469C-BDCB-77EC49561190_zpshkm80drl.jpg
    13C1A5E1-BFD7-469C-BDCB-77EC49561190_zpshkm80drl.jpg
    304.6 KB · Views: 402
Reactions: Ezookiel
Hey Ezookiel... Ya gotta screw loose? LOL

Maybe your motor screws are backing out.

Ezookiel, here are the two most commonly used prop balancers:
The SpeedyTM prop balancer comes with the rod too. I use this prop balancer for balancing my P2V+ props and it works well. If you go with the Du-Bro, you'll need to purchase a balancing rod separately. Here are all of the rods that work with the DJI self-tightening props:
It's possible to use just a rod too if you use a glass or metal coffee can. Just make sure whatever you use has an extremely level top. The advantage of using a balancer is that the rod is not able to roll off the top.

All three sets of my 9450 and 9443 props were a little off balance. My Phantom never shook like you're describing though. Balancing your props would be the first thing to try.

Last edited:
So many seem to say they don't work with the 9450 props. Why would they work with the 9443's and not the 9450's? Unless the 50's are heavier and outweigh the rod.
Weird.

I've tried running it without the props on, and there doesn't seem to be much vibration at all.
Nor is there much when the props are on and at idle or even at low speed, but hit takeoff speed and the whole frame begins vibrating so badly it affects the video through an H3-3D gimbal.

I think I'll have to await a prop balancer, because at the moment the motors without props on them, seem to spin smooth as silk with nothing but the tiniest and I mean tiniest purr or hum detectable in the arms, and it's the same purr on all of them. Touching the spinning outer with just the very faintest tip of a fingernail while the motor is at idle doesn't pick up any kind of vibration at all, and I'm sure it's the same as it's always been when I've run it without props. It's definitely not enough that it could become a massive visible wobble in the whole frame once props are on and at speed.

I'll have an expert look it over Monday week when I do my CASA certification. The guy there that is teaching the course builds units professionally for videography companies, including up to fully outfitted S1000's and the like, and has worked on dozens of P2's, including this one before.

Frustrating though, because it seriously cramps what I'm prepared to do with it until then, which at the moment is basically nothing.

By the way, adding a filter cover over the GoPro Hero4 wouldn't shift weight around enough for something to start to vibrate would it? I've tried with it off and with it on, and I'm sure it's not that, but thought I'd best check.

Sorry, this item can't be shipped to your selected address. Learn more. You may either change the shipping address or delete the item from your order. You can also see if this item is available to ship to your address from another seller.

Well, so much for that idea.
Living in Australia is a biatch at times.

I ordered both the rod and balancer from the Carolina Drones site you listed, msinger.
Thanks for that. They're prepared to send to Australia by the look of it. Bloody Amazon. Even when they do ship here, it's as much as $75 for the postage, when the item might be a tenth of that.

o_O Having a hell of a time are ya ;)
I hadn't seen where folks were saying they don't work with the 9450's but I don't see every line in here but I will tell you this. I have been using 9450's since they came out with them and we first started talking about them in here .All I use and have never had a problem using the rod to balance them . So whoever said that must not have them and are just assuming .
Hate it's a ***** for you to get stuff there but that not your only option mate ;)
Don't remember who showed this as it has been months ago but look at the picture .
The end of the small X-acto handle fits just right in the end of the prop and when put on the glass when level works just fine . The eraser end of a pencil I believe also works but not 100% sure on that one as I never had a need to try it . Might look foolish but it does work .
If your rubber dampener balls don't have a crack in them maybe they are just old ? Change them .
Maybe a little of this and a little of that might be what your problem is ..maybe not but do think we overthink some of these problems sometimes or I do anyway :confused:
Improvise bro :) ;)
Balane rod.jpg

All of the above items work with 9443 and 9445 props.

Reactions: dirkclod
All of the above items work with 9443 and 9445 props.
Totally agree with you msinger and was not implying they didn't . I just have never heard where folks thought they didn't !! ;)

It wasn't in here that I heard they don't work, it was in the advertisements on ebay.
I'm sure I'll get it sorted. No cracks on the rubber bushes/mounts, they're all brand new, I only had them all replaced recently when I put it in to have the Immersionrc600 fitted, and he pointed out that something was wrong with the gimbal mounting (don't remember what it was, some had fallen out? Something anyway) and it came back with all new white ones where there had been black ones before.

Untitled-1a.jpg
Untitled-1b.jpg

Same one I use and was just showing ya the glass thing as if ya ever in a bind there's always a trick out there :)
Sucks you guys get hit with so much extra charges !!

Just really read what was on that add ya posted and thought daaaaamn !! :eek:
Don't know what that's all about but do hope your problem is only the props bro :)
prop.jpg
images7AE9KZ8Q.jpg
;)

I have a vibration in my P2 and I'm pretty sure it's the dampener balls. I got a used Zenmuse 3d with white dampeners and I'm getting a lot of jello. I checked for balanced props first. A friend is sure it's the dampeners, so I changed them out with a spare set from my Vision +. These are softer and the vibration got worse, so I switched back.

That convinced me I need a set of firm, black balls (not to be all racial and sexual.)

Ezookiel, you mentioned yours were just changed out. You might try changing back and see if that's the problem.

Just wondering if you have had a hard crash lately if so maybe one of the arms is bent. A good way to check is to put your bird upside-down on a flat surface and see if the prop clearance is about the same. I had a bent arm from a hard crash and my bird flew like a drunken sailer.

I have a vibration in my P2 and I'm pretty sure it's the dampener balls. I got a used Zenmuse 3d with white dampeners and I'm getting a lot of jello. I checked for balanced props first. A friend is sure it's the dampeners, so I changed them out with a spare set from my Vision +. These are softer and the vibration got worse, so I switched back.

That convinced me I need a set of firm, black balls (not to be all racial and sexual.)

Ezookiel, you mentioned yours were just changed out. You might try changing back and see if that's the problem.

Plus 1 Not all balls are created equal.o_O;)

I bet your teacher has a balancing machine... :)

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31