Looking for Phantom 1 non-self-tightening rotors

Reaction score
I've been very happy with my Phantom (original) drone but had an issue where the propellers were damaged. I tried finding replacement parts and ordered "9450 Self-tightening Propeller Blades" after being told they were compatible with the Phantom. They're not. Well, they're half compatible. The original Phantom's motors only have right-handed threaded axles. The props don't have threads, a standard nut holds them in place. Obviously I can't fly the drone with only two props. I managed to find one seller in China who had two pairs of props left and I've purchased them, so hopefully the props are good and I can fly my drone again. But I'm really worried that if anything happens, my $700 drone will be gounded beacuse I can't find a $7 part.

Does anybody still sell props for the original Phantom? This is my preferred solution.

I am looking into getting at least one set (2 each left and right handed rotors) for the original phantom one. They're the kind that slide on and are held on with capped nuts.

On a similar note: Would it be possible to retrofit the drone with a pair of left-handed threaded motors so that I could use the self-tightening props? I'm a bit adverse to taking it apart and swapping out parts but if it's otherwise going to be grounded it's worth a shot.

Any input is appreciated.

The original props are all slotted in the middle; there's a rectangular hole in the middle of the prop and a matching part of the axle on the motor. They don't screw on to the motor directly. They slide over the shaft and are held in place with one right-handed nut on each shaft. Self tightening props come in right-handed and left-handed threads. This way the torque of the motor automatically tightens the props. These self-tightening props (which are readily available) don't have the slots to fit over the axles. The right-handed props can screw on to right-handed axles, but the left-handed ones have the wrong turn direction. The left-handed props need left-handed threads on the motor axle.

How does one upgrade the motors? I'd actually be happy if I could just replace the part of the motor that has the axle on it; that's really the only "wrong" part for using the self-tightening props.

As for the price point, I forget how much the original P1 cost, but I thought it was about $700. Could have been more.

When I got my first P1, they had dropped the price from $679 to $479 because the P2s were out. That was April of 2014. In Jan of 2015 I got another one for $379 and in June 2015 got one for $299. I couldn't resist. All from BH Photo. All still flying fine. Mine are P1 ver 1.1.1. One thing that's nice about the P1s is that there is no restrictions in the software to stop them from flying. They don't see no fly zones. Check ebay and such. I'll bet someone has made adapters for later style props.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31