Product suggestion: Data plus Power from RC to Device

Reaction score
I am surprised this doesn’t exist (perhaps I’ll be told why).

I’d love to be able to charge (keep charged) my controller device (smart phone or tablet) while it’s connected to the DJI Controller.

I suspect power does not flow from the USB port at the back of the controller, so it would require a Y cable. One end of the Y portion plugs into the controller, the other would plug into a power source (like a portable USB battery), and they join and connect to the device (phone or tablet) with the screen.

I tried: I purchased a USB Y cable. 1 female to two male.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NIGO4NM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_CvvwCb9QPW933
I plugged one male into the DJI controller, one into a portable battery. The used the usual DJI Lightening to USB cable into the female end. I did try swapping the male side. Power made it but the data didn’t.

What is needed is a different kind of Y.
One male connector would provide the power only, the other male connector would be for data only.

Is there such a cable? If not, is it because it can’t work (why?) if it could work but doesn’t exist, someone please make one and you may use my idea as long as I got one free ;)

I am surprised this doesn’t exist (perhaps I’ll be told why).

I’d love to be able to charge (keep charged) my controller device (smart phone or tablet) while it’s connected to the DJI Controller.

I suspect power does not flow from the USB port at the back of the controller, so it would require a Y cable. One end of the Y portion plugs into the controller, the other would plug into a power source (like a portable USB battery), and they join and connect to the device (phone or tablet) with the screen.

I tried: I purchased a USB Y cable. 1 female to two male.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NIGO4NM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_CvvwCb9QPW933
I plugged one male into the DJI controller, one into a portable battery. The used the usual DJI Lightening to USB cable into the female end. I did try swapping the male side. Power made it but the data didn’t.

What is needed is a different kind of Y.
One male connector would provide the power only, the other male connector would be for data only.

Is there such a cable? If not, is it because it can’t work (why?) if it could work but doesn’t exist, someone please make one and you may use my idea as long as I got one free ;)

Like you, I'm surprised there is not such an item and I have looked. There must be something technical that we don't understand as to why. It seems like it "should" be simple, easy and cheap to have this.

My gl300c RC charges my device while connected. No special cable needed.

My gl300c RC charges my device while connected. No special cable needed.

Many devices will "indicate" a charge but of the units I've seen it's really a False Positive because the Tx doesn't give enough power to charge it's just a Charge Indicator showing it is charging.

I had an ASUS tablet that would "indicate" charging (with Green Battery indicator) but it would discharge just as quick as normal use while connected.

Does your device use a Lightening connector (Apple) or USB?

Mine is connected to a Lightening connector (iPad)
My device is android, USB type C connector.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl