Problem filing FAA/TSA AAP waiver application

Reaction score
Is anybody else having trouble with the FAA/TSA AAP system? I'm trying to submit waiver applications for the Washington DC FRZ but the system won't take new information, even in a form that has been copied and made into a new draft. The AAP phone numbers that take voicemails are not returning calls. I did reach a waiver inspector who tried to enter the information but she too was not able to make changes to my form and suggested contacting the help desk...which has not responded to voice mails for three days.

For what it's worth, I have had waivers approved for the DC FRZ in the past month, so it's not that they are impossible to get, but now the application system seems to be malfunctioning and won't let me submit applications.

Why are you needing a "Wavier" or do you need authorization? If you fill out the wrong request, it will sit on the back burner as their are very few waviers authorization and the ones that are mostly deal with night operations. So the question again is "are you looking for authorization or wavier"

Why are you needing a "Wavier" or do you need authorization? If you fill out the wrong request, it will sit on the back burner as their are very few waviers authorization and the ones that are mostly deal with night operations. So the question again is "are you looking for authorization or wavier"

When the FAA/TSA approve of an sUAS flight in the DC FRZ, they issue a document that says "Certificate of Waiver or Authorization" across the top and the document is referred to throughout as "Certificate of Waiver or Authorization". I have one of these "Certificate of Waiver of Authorization" documents in front of me as I am writing this. Therefore, the answer to your question might be "both" as the document does not specify if it is either a waiver or authorization.

Four times I have applied for "waiver or authorization". These applications are all basically identical, including supporting documentation. The only difference on the application is the date that I would like to conduct operations. Two of my applications were approved and authorized, but two others were put on hold as "incomplete". When I try to complete the information requested in the "itinerary" field in the waiver/authorization, the AAP system will not accept my changes. When I phoned the inspector who examined my application, she too was not able to make changes to my application through her access to the system. She referred me to the "AAP help desk" where the only option is to leave a voice mail, which I have done several days in a row with no response.

Whatever you call the document that results from an application submitted through "waivers dot faa dot gov" , my question remains: has anyone else had problems with using the AAP system lately as far as submitting applications?

When the FAA/TSA approve of an sUAS flight in the DC FRZ, they issue a document that says "Certificate of Waiver or Authorization" across the top and the document is referred to throughout as "Certificate of Waiver or Authorization". I have one of these "Certificate of Waiver of Authorization" documents in front of me as I am writing this. Therefore, the answer to your question might be "both" as the document does not specify if it is either a waiver or authorization.

Four times I have applied for "waiver or authorization". These applications are all basically identical, including supporting documentation. The only difference on the application is the date that I would like to conduct operations. Two of my applications were approved and authorized, but two others were put on hold as "incomplete". When I try to complete the information requested in the "itinerary" field in the waiver/authorization, the AAP system will not accept my changes. When I phoned the inspector who examined my application, she too was not able to make changes to my application through her access to the system. She referred me to the "AAP help desk" where the only option is to leave a voice mail, which I have done several days in a row with no response.

Whatever you call the document that results from an application submitted through "waivers dot faa dot gov" , my question remains: has anyone else had problems with using the AAP system lately as far as submitting applications?
I have 3 current authorizations myself, so I am familiar with the wording. I ask the question as many get the terminology confused. If you read in the UAS sections covering UAS operations you will read there are certain activities that only need authorization while others need a wavier. So my question to you is this "what are you requesting authorization for airspace clearance or an wavier to fly outside of the normal UAS operations guidelines."

Reactions: R Martin
In that case, it seems I need authorization for DC FRZ airspace clearance. The planned operation is within all the "normal" operating guidelines (max 400' AGL, day time operation only, no flight over people, within VLOS, etc., )

Reactions: Recoveryone
As I was referring to above is to make sure you submit your request as an authorization and not as a wavier.
As I am trying to explain, the website "waivers dot faa dot gov", where I'm supposed to submit my application, will not save changes or updates to my application, even though the page displays these choices as available. I can copy an existing application to create a new application, but after that it won't accept any changes. I can open existing applications that are in "draft" or "incomplete" status, but the AAP system will not save my edits. I am requesting an authorization identical (except for the dates) to authorizations that where already approved.
The issue seems to be that in the "itinerary" field, I need to add the address of the proposed operations but the system will not accept any changes even though the "save" button is available. I make the changes, click "save", but there is no change recorded. The "submit" button seems to be out of order too.

As I am trying to explain, the website "waivers dot faa dot gov", where I'm supposed to submit my application, will not save changes or updates to my application, even though the page displays these choices as available. I can copy an existing application to create a new application, but after that it won't accept any changes. I can open existing applications that are in "draft" or "incomplete" status, but the AAP system will not save my edits. I am requesting an authorization identical (except for the dates) to authorizations that where already approved.
The issue seems to be that in the "itinerary" field, I need to add the address of the proposed operations but the system will not accept any changes even though the "save" button is available. I make the changes, click "save", but there is no change recorded. The "submit" button seems to be out of order too.
Why are you not going through the "FAA DroneZone" site FAADroneZone

Why are you not going through the "FAA DroneZone" site FAADroneZone

Because the FAA DroneZone is not valid to apply for authorization to operate in the Washington, D.C. Metropolitan Flight Restricted Zone (DC FRZ). To fly in the DC FRZ you have to go through the waivers.faa.gov/ site to "request a waiver for unmanned aircraft systems to access the Washington DC Special Flight Rules Area (SFRA) Flight Restricted Zone (FRZ) detailed in FDC NOTAM 0/0053" as it says on the "new request" page on that site.

Here is a link to the instructions to apply for a waiver to fly in the DC FRZ. Notice in the second paragraph, that the applicant is directed to use waivers.faa.gov to apply.

In the past few minutes, while writing this, the system on waivers.faa.gov appears to be working again. Maybe it will accept my application now...

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic