Problem, but don't know what.

Reaction score
I haven't used my Phantom 2 for a few days, but now have a problem with it, but I'm not sure what the problem is so don't know how to solve it. Best I can do is describe the symptoms to see if anyone has any ideas.

On power up, get the usual bleeps and LED flashing, but after the first few seconds of this normal behaviour, the rear LEDs just flash red and that's it. No alternate red and green to indicate that it's searching for satellites, just flashing red.

It's fitted with a Mini iOSD, which is reporting a lock on 9 satellites, so I don't think it's a lock problem. On powering up the rotors, if the sticks are left in neutral, after a few seconds they power back down again. By throttling up, you can keep them spinning but need to fly manually. Course lock function works, and home lock seems to, but in it's current state I'm afraid to fly it too far away to fully test this. GPS and attitude mode seem to be non-functioning. In fail safe mode yaw, pitch and roll are all disabled but it still responds to throttle - I assume this is normal. Also in fail safe mode the rear LEDs change from flashing red to flashing yellow.

As I said, I'm not sure what the problem might be, so if anyone has any ideas I'd be glad to hear them.

check these items out... I'd start with a compass cal.
Phantom-en11_zps7f5prnkk.png

Phantom-en13_zpsej0ba6e1.png

Phantom-en12_zpsae4ccqmz.png

Last edited:
From what I can make out from those charts, it would appear to be some sort of calibration error. I've done a compass calibration; colours for that cycle as you would expect other than when you finish the second part of compass calibration (holding Phantom nose toward the ground) it returns to flashing red.

At this point I'm thinking of maybe doing a reset to factory default, but I don't even know how to do that.

Whenever you've got a problem, you should plug the Phantom in to a computer and run the Assistant software.
Sometimes it will tell you what the problem is.

Yep, I've tried that, but all seems normal, or at least I'm not seeing anything that shouts 'you've got a problem.' All firmware is up to date, I've tried swapping it from Naza-M to Phantom and back again, but the problem persists. Will give the dealer a ring tomorrow (bank holiday here today) to see if they can suggest anything, as they also run a repair shop, and if they can't suggest anything, it will be going back, as it's less than a couple of weeks old.

Last edited:
Battery?
Did you leave it fully charged for any length of time? What battery voltage does the iosd report?

Probably worth doing a discharge down to a few percent, then fully recharging and see if this corrects things.

To answer the second post above first, I'm not flying in a restricted area. I am still flying in the same spot that I've always flown in, and not had these problems before. The nearest restricted zone according to that map is more than 30 miles away.

As for the battery, I've only had the Phantom for about a week, and have only flown maybe half a dozen times. I charged it before trying to fly today, but further research on the web would suggest that the battery might be the problem. I can't understand why it would be unless it's faulty, but the iOSD is reporting just over 11 volts. Will see what the dealer says tomorrow.

11.1V is fine, so you would only need to worry if it suddenly dropped when you applied power. If it stays @ 11V, then happy days.

Definitely get it on the Naza Assistant software and see what it reports.

I do wonder if you are finishing the compass calibration correctly? You need to go about 540 degrees, not just 360 degrees, so try and keep turning it further than you think.It should then report all clear. Make sure you are well clear of anything metal.

Also try an IMU calibration - ignore the "You don't need to do it" and the temp warning and do a full calibration.

Update.

Well, my new spare battery turned up today. Charged it up, plugged it in, problem solved. It would appear that the problem was caused by the battery supplied with the craft being faulty in some way. I've now packaged this up and returned it to the dealer who, hopefully, will replace it with one that works.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.