Pro Filmmaker reveals how to achieve a fully cinematic look to your P3 footage

Reaction score
I saw this video posted over on reddit:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

In the comments he gives a really good explanation on how he was able to achieve this kind of look. I thought I would share what I found on here as I think it's really helpful. Hope someone finds this useful.

I use PolarPro filters, in this case I was using the ND16 + Polarizer all day considering how bright it was. This allowed me to shoot at 24fps, 1/50, ISO 100 (standard cinematic settings) in 4K. The polarizer knocked out reflections in the water and helped to capture the deep blue color.

I shot in D-Log with the sharpness, contrast, and saturation all at -2. From there, I edited in Premiere and added a simple LUT to bring in the base contrast and saturation. After that I corrected the color using the color wheels and tweaked the midtones and highlights to my liking.

Finally, I added the Phantom 3 Pro 4K lens correction that comes with Premiere, which took away the very slight barrel distortion. Pretty straightforward workflow, hope that helped!

That was very nice editing and it really shows why I don't use vimeo... He shot it in 4K but it's blurred out in a lot of the shots and then vimeo only gives me options up to 1080p, so really it doesn't do this video justice. I would love to see his video on YouTube at 2160p because to me, it's a much better player. He sure spent a lot of time editing, changing the color and working it over with Premier.
So... I don't understand why people choose vimeo over YouTube... Is there some great unknown reason that you guys use vimeo?

I looked up his home page> Mike Marrotte | Video, Photography, Design - For Fun

The only reason I know that people are switching to Vimeo or prefer it is because youtube has become very restrictive with copyright and will take down lots of videos and accounts. You can only use their royalty free music for your videos. Vimeo lets you use whatever you want which is why I know a lot of folks are using it.

The only reason I know that people are switching to Vimeo or prefer it is because youtube has become very restrictive with copyright and will take down lots of videos and accounts. You can only use their royalty free music for your videos. Vimeo lets you use whatever you want which is why I know a lot of folks are using it.

Thanks Norman :)
You can use any royalty free music on YouTube yourself, I don't use theirs and unfortunately it isn't YouTube making life a hassle with the music, it's the record companies wanting to make money from the songs "they say they own", whether they actually own them or not... been there... I'm just putting this reply on here because YouTube will let you put anything that you want on as far as music themselves but if you keep using others music or film footage, then those owners of the music come in and don't want you to make money off of their copyrighted music and they start complaining to YouTube about their rights being infringed upon. So yea, they do take down accounts that use others content on them and I had someone else's account taken down myself because they were using my content that they had copied from YouTube and were claiming my videos as being theirs.
I haven't heard any better music on vimeo and I do have some movies on YouTube from back in the day that use regular copyrighted music like from Tesla and others in my welcome video. And they do have their adds on my videos because I used their music. Like in this one
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
but we played this video for years in Auburn, Ca at different functions for clubs and such and my dad wanted that music in it. When it was passed to me, I just put it on YouTube for everyone, music and all :)

The only reason I know that people are switching to Vimeo or prefer it is because youtube has become very restrictive with copyright and will take down lots of videos and accounts.
which seems very reasonable to me. dji allows non pro filmmakers to create amazing content, in my case i upload all my videos to youtube, and at least once a week i found someone who uses my videos (in youtube and facebook). i spend a lot of resources creating that content to allow anybody useit and make some profit from it, so every time i see my content used by others i ask you tube / facebook to remove the content...

so its not only about music.

You can only use their royalty free music for your videos. Vimeo lets you use whatever you want which is why I know a lot of folks are using it.
thats not true, actually you can use justin biber's new single but you wont be able to monetize your video, ads will be shown but the money will go to biber's account.

im using audiohive.net as the source for my clips, you can find very good tracks for 20-30 bucks

wouldnt 1/60 shutter be better than 1/50? since 24 goes into 60 2.5 times, and not some odd 2.083333333 that it goes into 50?

edit: also, are you guys who use LUTs loading a color corrector before or after the LUT? I figured you'd want it before to adjust input contrast/brightness but he is loading it after. Would that result in loss of detail?

Last edited:
Nice. I love airboats. Best frogging vehicle made.

I shoot pretty much the same settings he shoots except -2-3-2 or -1-2 0 sometimes and being this far North and ND 8, or 16 with and without CPL

That was very nice editing and it really shows why I don't use vimeo... He shot it in 4K but it's blurred out in a lot of the shots and then vimeo only gives me options up to 1080p, so really it doesn't do this video justice. I would love to see his video on YouTube at 2160p because to me, it's a much better player. He sure spent a lot of time editing, changing the color and working it over with Premier.
So... I don't understand why people choose vimeo over YouTube... Is there some great unknown reason that you guys use vimeo?

I looked up his home page> Mike Marrotte | Video, Photography, Design - For Fun

Hey there, I'm the creator of the video, so cool to see everyone discussing over here on Phantom Pilots! I wanted to respond to your comment about the quality - yes, I shot it in 4K, however I downscaled to 1080p, hence the reason why you can't view it in 4K on Vimeo. There are many videos available in 4K on Vimeo, it's just up to the uploader as to whether they upload at that resolution or not.

Also, the blur you're talking about is from the shutter speed, which is standard for cinematic videos. Their is a natural motion blur to everything, so when you shoot at double the frame rate (in this case 1/50), there will be a blur when paused. Besides that, I don't notice any noticeable blur during playback.

Either way, thanks for the comment on the editing!

Reactions: Reed L
wouldnt 1/60 shutter be better than 1/50? since 24 goes into 60 2.5 times, and not some odd 2.083333333 that it goes into 50?

edit: also, are you guys who use LUTs loading a color corrector before or after the LUT? I figured you'd want it before to adjust input contrast/brightness but he is loading it after. Would that result in loss of detail?
Hey, creator of the video here. The actual frame rate is somewhere around 23.976fps, but it's rounded up for whatever reason. With that in mind, 1/50 is nearly perfectly double the frame rate, which is why it's the best setting for classic cinematic motion blur.

And regarding the LUT usage, I use Premiere's color panel which placed the LUT in front of any other adjustments. From what I know, this is the best way to do it in any other case.

Reactions: Phantom-Four
Hey since you're hanging around, nice job with the bird sfx...love it when people remember the audio for this aerial stuff
Thanks man, gotta love the free sound effects libraries out there. I always think it adds a nice touch whenever I hear people using nat. sounds.

Either way, thanks for the comment on the editing!

Do you think vimeo is better then YouTube? What makes you want to use vimeo over ytube?

For the most immersive cinematic look I use the old 180 degree rule, worth googling. Long story short, when recording at 23.97fps use a shutter speed of double that or as close as possible. In most digital cases this result in a shutter speed of 50. This produces the cinematic motion blur.
Crazily enough, the 23.97fps coupled with the 180degree shutter speed makes your brain treat the movies more like a dream in the way you perceive and remember them.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: Zeprider and Reed L
For the most immersive cinematic look I use the old 180 degree rule, worth googling. Long story short, when recording at 23.97fps use a shutter speed of double that or as close as possible. In most digital cases this result in a shutter speed of 50. This produces the cinematic motion blur.
Crazily enough, the 23.97fps coupled with the 180degree shutter speed makes your brain treat the movies more like a dream in the way you perceive and remember them.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app
There's an old adage that I learned in film school...

"Video is what the eye sees, film is what the mind sees."

Sent via Galaxy Note 4 & Tapatalk

"Video is what the eye sees, film is what the mind sees."

...and cinema is what the wallet sees :D

Reed L - a lot of industry people use Vimeo for easy video management (public/private/downloadable), cleaner compression, fast processing (with membership), and often more predictable playback. I've found the community there to tend a little more serious and focused, perhaps as a result.

Do you think vimeo is better then YouTube? What makes you want to use vimeo over ytube?
DefaultIT hit the nail on the head. Vimeo is just cleaner to me, the community is less into trolling with comments and more into appreciating the work for what it is, both technically and artistically. It's also pretty much the industry standard when it comes to sharing your work with peers from what I've seen.

Reactions: Reed L

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers