Pre Flight Checks

Reaction score
Ok, so I have taken the advice of people who post, and done a search on the forums using the search, but nothing came up :)

Has anyone done a "Pre Flight Checklist" post?

I wanted to maybe print one out and laminate it... might sound a stupid idea, but for a New person, I think it sensible, and I want to ensure I have done EVERYTHING correctly before attempting flight

Lots to learn with these, lots to do, calibrations to make, its know what you have to do, how often, where and when ect

This is my custom list. Hope this helps.
Before leaving:
Make sure SD Card is in phantom
At least 2 USB cables
Phone or tablet at >30%
Battery fully charged
Transmitter has enough power
Props look good, extra props

Preflight
Take gimbal protector off
Check battery is secured
Check phantom for visible issues
Check Tx is in p mode, antennas up
Mount monitor
Turn on tx, app, quad

All powered up:
*Turn on screen recording
Check warm up notifications
Check battery life on phantom and tx
Check signal strength of phantom and live bridge
Calibrate compass is needed

Flight:
Do short distance flight test
Check sensors if needed
Monitor telemetry
Monitor battery and signal strength
Adjust camera settings

Reactions: taroh
Ok, so I have taken the advice of people who post, and done a search on the forums using the search, but nothing came up :)

Has anyone done a "Pre Flight Checklist" post?

I wanted to maybe print one out and laminate it... might sound a stupid idea, but for a New person, I think it sensible, and I want to ensure I have done EVERYTHING correctly before attempting flight

Lots to learn with these, lots to do, calibrations to make, its know what you have to do, how often, where and when ect

I'm a private pilot,,you are trained to always use a written check list before every flight, I don't care if your a Captain with a major airline and have tens of thousands of flight hours, you always use a written check list,

So no, it is NOT a stupid idea

My dad is a 787 Captain. He didn't seem very interested in the Phantom until I told him I use a pre-flight checklist. For some reason that got him extremely excited about the idea of the Phantom.

Reactions: M1shootr
Here's my full checklist (very long).
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1niw70l7nrO0L8sPvANeP7DCJmxs0BrPMTUQKCwF-pk0/edit?usp=sharing

I'm still editing this, may change after new firmware. Thanks in advance for any opinion.
Excellent checklists. You've clearly spent a lot of time on this. Your TOFF checklist, what's RC: E/A, R/T mean?
I've set up my own checklists but yours are full and complete and I'm using yours from now on. Obviously you have an aviation background :)

Excellent checklists. You've clearly spent a lot of time on this. Your TOFF checklist, what's RC: E/A, R/T mean?
I've set up my own checklists but yours are full and complete and I'm using yours from now on. Obviously you have an aviation background :)
Thanks, and sorry my private abbreviation - E/A R/T for elevator/aileron, rudder/throttle (after fly up, check right and left stick works properly).

Mine is long (P2 checklist was 2 namecard sized cards, but now P3 five pages :) ), but includes "maximum" steps and maybe redundant for everyone (say "filter" I myself don't use sometimes - then skip that step). I feel some steps is not necessary in newer app.
And still good idea in this thread... I must add "at home before leaving checklist," also must add some tablet setting.

I think each pilot should make own checklist. IMHO the points are, (1) disassemble into simple and practical step ("check tablet" includes many steps, may forget some), also distinguish SET and CHECK, (2) read in voice when reading. However long list, 1-2 minutes to done, and saves $1250. :)

Edit: P.S. - when battery change, I execute "shutdown" then "before engine start" list. Or another "battery change" list may be useful.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bret Lucas
Thanks, and sorry my private abbreviation - E/A R/T for elevator/aileron, rudder/throttle (after fly up, check right and left stick works properly).

Mine is long (P2 checklist was 2 namecard sized cards, but now P3 five pages :) ), but includes "maximum" steps and maybe redundant for everyone (say "filter" I myself don't use sometimes - then skip that step). I feel some steps is not necessary in newer app.
And still good idea in this thread... I must add "at home before leaving checklist," also must add some tablet setting.

I think each pilot should make own checklist. IMHO the points are, (1) disassemble into simple and practical step ("check tablet" includes many steps, may forget some), also distinguish SET and CHECK, (2) read in voice when reading. However long list, 1-2 minutes to done, and saves $1250. :)

Edit: P.S. - when battery change, I execute "shutdown" then "before engine start" list. Or another "battery change" list may be useful.
Of course, makes sense.

Here it is... v1.0 of my checklist on pdf. Made on Foreflight Checklist. Let me know if someone has the Foreflight app, I can e-mail the original file for interaction.
  1. Packing
  2. Pre Flight
  3. Before Takeoff Check
  4. Shutdown Check
It is an early stage checklist, some things will likely be added/removed later.

Let me know if you have suggestions/corrections.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1twetsvkqerj4ek/Checklist JC V1.0.pdf?dl=0

Very nice check lists! I did not notice anyone has a check for the RC antennas to be upright and parallel in the case of the P3P. Shouldn't that be part of it as well?

Reactions: bobmyers
It make sense, but since I am using a diy range booster that kind of locks it in place I didnt think of it. Will add when I make a v2 in the future. Anyone feel free to grab and modify it. Thanks.

Reactions: spin2win
Here it is... v1.0 of my checklist on pdf. Made on Foreflight Checklist. Let me know if someone has the Foreflight app, I can e-mail the original file for interaction.
  1. Packing
  2. Pre Flight
  3. Before Takeoff Check
  4. Shutdown Check
It is an early stage checklist, some things will likely be added/removed later.

Let me know if you have suggestions/corrections.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1twetsvkqerj4ek/Checklist JC V1.0.pdf?dl=0
Black background are A. Not always easy to read from and ?
B. Use a ton of ink when printing them! Other than that moan...you do a good job..well done.

You wouldn't by chance still have that P2 list available would you? The P3 list don't really pertain to the P2 from what I can tell but I probably too new to know the difference.

Here is mine, very long and more like a "pre-post flight checklist"
Any improvement / suggestion welcome

Attachments

• Phantom 3 Pre-post flight procedures.pdf
    466.4 KB · Views: 954
Last edited:
Reactions: timz5011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member