Pre-Flight Checklist and Pre-Flight Inspection

The whole time I've owned my P4P, I was only alerted to recalibrate the compass once on the DJI Go 4 app. Never had a compass or IMU problem. Of course, I always check this on the preflight check list before launch.
Sometimes I may drive 300 miles to a new location. I would have a difficult time taking off without a compass calibration, but then, I have a lot to learn about all this.

Last Summer I did some drone flying approximately 600 miles away from home. The app didn't ask for a compass calibration so I didn't do one. It flew like a dream.

I used to calibrate the compass before the first flight on any new day. But I read some good comments, checked the manual, and found that it is not necessary.

I believe one of the main reasons for doing a "calibration" might be due to magnetic variation/declination which varies both from place to place and with the passage of time. Aircraft pilots are familiar with this as lines of mag variation appear on Sectional maps. If you have a fixed compass, then you have to mathematically correct for this. I could very well be wrong that this is the reason for needing to do it on the Phantoms.

I'm now in the camp that doesn't do it and I check sensors (IMU/Compass) in advanced settings before flight.

My experience with compass calibration on my P3s. Did the initial compass calibration in Jan. 2017. I live in central Alberta, Canada. I’ve since flown the drone in many parts of Alberta, in Palm Springs, Cal. US., and in central Manitoba, Canada. All locations several hundred miles apart. I’ve never done a compass calibration in any of these locations, have never received the message to calibrate the compass on the DJI GO app. So unless it comes up on my display or the Phantom starts acting up, I’m leaving well enough alone.

Reactions: ChipperRay
I have not done a compass calibration but one time on my P4P in over a year and a half. And I have never had one issue with it. I have had compass errors when I get too close to steel or iron. But I just move away and it's fine. I would not do compass calibrates at all until aircraft ask for it.

Very bad advice. There are many documented disasters of crashes due to flying with a compass error. In my case, I launched from a picnic table that had a wooden top and metal legs. I failed to notice the "compass error" and the drone took off flying radically and totally out of control. I had to bring it down. Fortunately no damage. Correcting a "compass error" by calibrating the compass with 2 simple rotations is so simple.

C'mon guys... the OP asked for checklists, not another endless discourse on the merits of compass calibration. A simple search will reveal there's plenty of that here already.

I'm out of town for the weekend, reading on a tablet. When i get home to my PC, will post a doc i made for pre-flight checks.

I live near Cleveland Ohio. Took my P4 to Nevada flew in the desert. No compass calibration was needed. That's about 2000 miles from home base.

Reactions: ChipperRay
C'mon guys... the OP asked for checklists, not another endless discourse on the merits of compass calibration. A simple search will reveal there's plenty of that here already.

I'm out of town for the weekend, reading on a tablet. When i get home to my PC, will post a doc i made for pre-flight checks.

I'm curious to see what your checklist looks like. I'd be glad to share mine as well

I'm curious to see what your checklist looks like. I'd be glad to share mine as well

My checklists are still a work-in-progress, and I didn't realize til I got home just how badly they need editing and re-printing.

I started a flight book in a small 3-ring binder, started a Word doc, and printed the pages front and back on 1/2 sheets of printer paper (5.5x8.5"). Below are my packing, load up, and on-site checklists. The next pages in the notebook are pre-flight and in-flight but they're so marked up with an ink pen I'm embarrassed to show them right now lol. Give me a few more days I'll put them up.

IMG_20180515_101742_1.jpg

Reactions: BigAl07
I really like the format of this checklist, but would modify a couple things to use in my agency - I wonder how to go about getting the original so it could be edited, and permission to use it?
I found the author by examining the properties of the file. Here is his reply with his permission and 2 editable attachments.
=====
Dave:
Here are the checklist I developed. One for Recreational Pilots and one for Part 107 Pilots. Both were written a couple of years ago should be sure to check they are consistent with the current regulatory bases and update where necessary.

Feedback is a gift, so please let me know if you see opportunities for improvement in either list.

Cordially, George

Attachments

• ChecklistUpload.zip
    23.3 KB · Views: 82
I have a list I've been using for years and recently turned it into a much more comprehensive document for the masses. Full disclosure: it's for sale but even if there's one nugget of info in there that helps you avoid a crash or flyaway, then those few bucks were worth it.
In addition to being a checklist, it has emergency procedures, troubleshooting tips, settings for flying indoors and links to all the websites you'll need for planning a flight and getting airspace permission.
You can learn more at www.groundcontrolresources.com.
Thanks!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic