practice indoors?

Reaction score
This is especially meant for George who posted to me yesterday. My message function isn't working so I thought id just start a new thread.
George wrote " And do a lot of in the house flying with my bird on the kitchen counter, props removed and in their storage bag."

What does that mean? Sounds like what I would need to do for practice, especially being a new guy and with recent crappy weather. So is there some kind of practice program that comes with it? But you'r e actually using the real quad running?

I practice indoors with a little Hubsan X4. If you can fly that without crashing it you will be fine with the phantom.

To answer your question yes there is a flight simulator in the DJI Go App

EDIT: I don't mean to imply you should fly the Phantom inside. I guess you could but I would say unless you have a huge room to do it in I just wouldn't.

Last edited:
This is especially meant for George who posted to me yesterday. My message function isn't working so I thought id just start a new thread.
George wrote " And do a lot of in the house flying with my bird on the kitchen counter, props removed and in their storage bag."

What does that mean? Sounds like what I would need to do for practice, especially being a new guy and with recent crappy weather. So is there some kind of practice program that comes with it? But you'r e actually using the real quad running?
He is using the flight simulator part of DJI Go app.

so this comes with it? but ...the quad is actually sitting still and running ( without props) ?

Yes, most recommend that you take the props off when you have the aircraft on and indoors to prevent it from.. you know... inadvertently launching. You actually use the transmitter and the app to enter the simulator mode.

Your Phantom needs to be on (with the motors off) in order to use the flight simulator. It would be a good idea to keep the props off too since you'll probably be doing this indoors. Then, start up the DJI GO app, and click the graduation cap icon at the top, right corner of the DJI GO app.

so this comes with it? but ...the quad is actually sitting still and running ( without props) ?
Motors are disabled using the flight simulator. For safety, remove the props, even though they don't spin. You will use the P3 battery. The P3 needs to be on and connected to use the app.

SD

DJI Go app is all I have seen other than a game like simulator on Google Play. That one was more like a game and not very realistic for me though.

Reactions: tobeallque
Hi MikeST, sorry that I did not do a lot more explaining of what I was doing and how! But as always, the "group" chimed in and did a very nice job of explaining for me.
I like the simulator because it gives you an opportunity to actually use the controls, just like you would if you were out in the yard, actually flying the bird. I find the feel of the controls is very much like the real thing, and you learn quickly just how easy it is to really fly the bird. I did a lot of simulator flying, before my first time of actual flying, and it took away the fear from that very first flight. It was just like flying the simulator, only I could hear the sound of the props, and the real bird was performing right in front of me.
Happy New Year,
George

until you get really comfortable with the controls I wouldn't fly indoors. My living room is 24' by 24' and when I first got the phantom I was afraid to take it outside because of all the posts about fly offs on this board so I flew it in my living room. I wasn't familiar or comfortable with the controller and I panicked and hit the wall. I play around in the living room now with no problems.

Yes but I have found it to be worthless .

Really? Why worthless? Maybe you need a larger tablet? The sim teaches you the functions of the software, the menus you will need to access during flight, and how the P3 handles. The motors do not run while using it. Why is it useless to you? I wish they had simulators when I was learning to fly. Would have saved a ton of $$$.

SD

Is that true? I looked and only saw two sort of generic quads.
Realflight 7.5 calls it Quadcopter X. It has GPS, ATTI and a manual mode. From what I've researched, everyone says it's a P2, and flies like one.

This is only from research. I only have RF 3.5.

SD

Attachments

• upload_2015-12-30_11-38-30.png
    upload_2015-12-30_11-38-30.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 339
I've flown the Phantom 3 Professional inside a couple of times. It's fairly stable and easier than I'd expect to control indoors.

I would believe having prop guards would make flying indoors a lot safer because you'd simply bounce of any objects?

I've flown the Phantom 3 Professional inside a couple of times. It's fairly stable and easier than I'd expect to control indoors.

I would believe having prop guards would make flying indoors a lot safer because you'd simply bounce of any objects?

when mine hit the wall it flipped up so all 4 props were on the wall at the same time.

He is using the flight simulator part of DJI Go app.

This might be out there already but I shall resurrect it , if it is:
Has anyone tried to project the Go app (android) to a large desktop pc monitor?
Intent is to run the sim with a lot of visual real estate. I am thinking (which is always dangerous),
that either i need a port out of my tablet to the video-in on the desktop or the RC would have to be directly connected to the pc but the Go app would also need to be installed on the pc, which is not an option at this time?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj