Potential New Legislation

So we've got 650 instances of sUAV pilots flying either within 5 miles of an airport without permission or flying well over the 400 ft hard deck?

Wow...what a bunch or Gloomers! Cheer up!

I'm sure common sense and reason will prevail. It might mean stiff penalties for going above 400ft but I've always thought that was a good idea anyway.

Don't forget that there are people in high places who also like to fly these drones.

I think they'll require transponders (as I said a long time ago) or some other measures, but in the end, the hobby will survive and the skies will be safer. Drones will likely be relegated and limited to flying in specific areas and far from airports. That's reasonable.

Law enforcement as well as local, state and Federal governments WILL be using these drones heavily and soon. The technology just offers too much for government to pass up. But civilians will see their use greatly restricted. Mostly thaks to people flying without regard for anything but their own fun. But just like RC planes, there will be places to fly them. And there's always indoors.

You really can't just have people flying drones in the sky with no regard. C'mon...anyone reasonable knows that wasn't gonna work.

Last edited:
So we've got 650 instances of sUAV pilots flying either within 5 miles of an airport without permission or flying well over the 400 ft hard deck?
No, that is drone sightings, period. Many of which are really unidentified*, model aircraft (yes, model aircraft reports are lumped in with drone sightings now and a surprising percentage of drone sightings are fixed wing, including from CalFire), in bizarre locations/altitudes (think altitudes that begin with 'FL'), or just seen by people on the ground (yes, it includes reports by random people on the ground not just pilots). Even more interesting is how few sightings from aircraft need or involve evasive maneuvers. It is one of the most meaningless statistics out there and is completely independent of how safely they are being operated, but the numbers should roughly correlate to the drone population and in fact they do. What is not expected is such an increase in sightings and flying drone population with no increase in fatalities (it went from 0 to 0 between 2014 and 2015).

*In reading ASRS reports, drones seem to have replaced UFOs. Another interesting ASRS report from this year was an ATP self-reporting that he flew his drone up to 47 feet AGL but was within 5 miles of a small airport.

Reactions: JKDSensei
ShipDriver, I think you're right. Drones are a hot topic and make a great sensational headline......

"175 DELTA PASSENGERS BARELY ESCAPE DISASTER DUE TO DRONE NEAR MISS"

People are just eating it up and the media is more than happy to feed the frenzy.

That said, there is some real danger so drone operators should not fly over 400 feet.

From the article:
"Another congressional option would create an initiative to help local communities prosecute unsafe and intrusive drone behavior under state laws."

And who defines "intrusive"? The ******* fisherman claimed that the quad was intrusive to his "lazy afternoon of fishing" when he tried to bring it down while all along, right next to him was a guy wearing a GoPro on his hat.:mad: What's troubling about that situation (at least to me) is it seems like the public at large sides with the fisherman. These "initiatives", new laws and regs could be a slippery slope.
BOT

Last edited:
Reactions: Goldni
So? If we're doing our hobby justice and abiding by the guidelines, these jail times and fines won't apply to us.

I hope they add severe enforcement to the rules.

No, that is drone sightings, period. Many of which are really unidentified*, model aircraft (yes, model aircraft reports are lumped in with drone sightings now and a surprising percentage of drone sightings are fixed wing, including from CalFire), in bizarre locations/altitudes (think altitudes that begin with 'FL'), or just seen by people on the ground (yes, it includes reports by random people on the ground not just pilots). Even more interesting is how few sightings from aircraft need or involve evasive maneuvers. It is one of the most meaningless statistics out there and is completely independent of how safely they are being operated, but the numbers should roughly correlate to the drone population and in fact they do. What is not expected is such an increase in sightings and flying drone population with no increase in fatalities (it went from 0 to 0 between 2014 and 2015).

*In reading ASRS reports, drones seem to have replaced UFOs. Another interesting ASRS report from this year was an ATP self-reporting that he flew his drone up to 47 feet AGL but was within 5 miles of a small airport.

The article quoted 650 pilots that reported "drone" sightings.

The article quoted 650 pilots that reported "drone" sightings.

Absolute numbers are misleading. There are about 50, 000 flights under air traffic control each day. So, 650 reports, unless they all occurred on the same day, isn't statistically significant. The FAA has stated that they get about two reports a day. That is about 0.004% of daily flights. And the spreadsheet the FAA released a while back is padded with reports such as a
police helicopter reporting a toy helicopter flying at tree level and someone on the ground being injured by one.

-- Roger

Drones will be fine until the day an aircraft is brought down by one or they are used for terrorist activities, then it will be hard to stop the people against them getting what they want. I think they should all be registered at point of sale.

Drones will be fine until the day an aircraft is brought down by one or they are used for terrorist activities, then it will be hard to stop the people against them getting what they want. I think they should all be registered at point of sale.
I suspect over the past 10 years it would have been pretty easy to deliver a far greater payload using an RC plane or RC helicopter. But that's not really been done. Drones are getting bigger and can Carey greater payload but there are much easier ways to deliver a payload.

I do agree that it will happen. We can only hope that people understand that laws against all drone use simply won't stop that problem. I have almost no faith in law makers to care that the is a fact and can only hope that some media will be interested in telling the truth.

From the article:
"Another congressional option would create an initiative to help local communities prosecute unsafe and intrusive drone behavior under state laws."

And who defines "intrusive"? The ******* fisherman claimed that the quad was intrusive to his "lazy afternoon of fishing" when he tried to bring it down while all along, right next to him was a guy wearing a GoPro on his hat.:mad: What's troubling about that situation (at least to me) is it seems like the public at large sides with the fisherman. These "initiatives", new laws and regs could be a slippery slope.
BOT
Intrusive doesn't necessarily mean their privacy is being compromised, but that there is an annoying thing buzzing around above them like a swarm of bees that disturbs their peace and quiet. We as drone operators should be cognizant of that. Most animals (humans included) do have a "death from above" response as well (start looking skyward and see how many people look up with you). On the flip side, if I'm flying over operating boats for example (as opposed to quietly floating along with poles out), I don't feel the need to keep as far away just because the boat engines are orders of magnitude louder and the peace and quiet issue isn't really an issue. Ironically, surreptitious means of photographing people (think second story window with a telephoto) are far more effective at violating privacy and yet don't bother people. I fly mainly in wilderness and rural areas and I do realize that it will disturb the natural quiet of the area and try to be aware that there may be people there who are there to get away from the noise.

Let's think about this if you zap a UAV out of the sky you are creating danger to anyone below so disarming them in the air will crate a unsafe environment (thought the FAA was about safety) . You can make all the rules and laws you want it will not stop the supposed sightings (we are hated) so you want people to report people problem is the people reporting do not know the rules so that turns into he said she said . People get there info from the news who never gets anything right . I would suggest to everyone flying to where a body cam .
This article just proves how the FAA is a joke . We need facts how many planes have been hit ???? Anyone ??? Oh none 0 nota so that really makes you think how many of these pilots make things up . Now a real danger to pilots is lasers what are they doing about it ? They are making sunglasses for the pilots why not ban lasers ? You see pilots hate us they want the sky for themselves . Try this next time one of you take a plane somewhere ask the pilot how he fills about RC Aviation get your answer then ask how he fills about "DRONES" . Every week we get a new report of new laws coming been like this for years . I have no problem with their suggested safety rules becoming laws .

Let's think about this if you zap a UAV out of the sky you are creating danger to anyone below so disarming them in the air will crate a unsafe environment (thought the FAA was about safety) . You can make all the rules and laws you want it will not stop the supposed sightings (we are hated) so you want people to report people problem is the people reporting do not know the rules so that turns into he said she said . People get there info from the news who never gets anything right . I would suggest to everyone flying to where a body cam .
This article just proves how the FAA is a joke . We need facts how many planes have been hit ???? Anyone ??? Oh none 0 nota so that really makes you think how many of these pilots make things up . Now a real danger to pilots is lasers what are they doing about it ? They are making sunglasses for the pilots why not ban lasers ? You see pilots hate us they want the sky for themselves . Try this next time one of you take a plane somewhere ask the pilot how he fills about RC Aviation get your answer then ask how he fills about "DRONES" . Every week we get a new report of new laws coming been like this for years . I have no problem with their suggested safety rules becoming laws .
Actually in ASRS this year, there is a report of a Cessna which hit something at 1700 ft that was clearly not biological. The pilot did not see the object but suspects it was a drone. He landed and there was superficial damage to the prop and cowling, but the aircraft was deemed airworthy. There is another ASRS report this year about a helo which had a near-miss with a drone (it was identified positively as a drone) and the rotor wash sent the drone tumbling down (probably to its demise). So conflicts and collisions probably are happening, it's just a) rare and b) the drone is the one taking the worst of it.
Nonetheless, it is true that shooting down drones creates FAR more danger than the drones actually pose themselves.

From the article:

BOT
i think you have a good point being that when someone spots a UAV in the air its open season for destruction. maybe because there isnt someone attached to it like the gopro next to the fisherman or a guy shooting pics with a DSLR on the pier. he surely wouldnt do that it it were a maned helicopter. it he lost his pole to the UAV, he'd be pissed.but nobody would tell him he was wrong in trying to bring it down.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl