Post your 4k Editing setup.

Reaction score
Looking to buy a system to do 4k editing using Adobe Premiere Pro. I know a 4k monitor is required but what specs on a computer would I want to be able to edit smoothly with no lag.

I don't have answers, but I have the same question. Been waiting the release of new MacBook pro. Wise?

I'm waiting for the holidays to build a computer for the same program. From the research I've done you would want a graphics card with a CUDA cores because adobe uses them to help render video on your timeline. Also, either a very good quad core processor with hyper threading or even for 4k a 6 core processor. A good starting point for RAM would be 16gb but make sure there's room to add more.

The thing with 4k it looks amazing no doubt, but how many clients that you are editing this footage for have 4k tvs or monitors? Or is it just a personal use?
Premiere Pro System Requirements for Mac OS and Windows

I use a 5K iMac with DaVinci Resolve 12 for 4K editing. It does everything I need and does it well. Its color correction tools are the best in class, bar none. I find on my iMac it renders 4K UHD much, much quicker than Adobe Premiere Pro with essentially the same edits. On top of that, DaVinci Resolve 12 is completely free. What more could you want?

Reactions: Phil H
I use a 5K iMac with DaVinci Resolve 12 for 4K editing. It does everything I need and does it well. Its color correction tools are the best in class, bar none. I find on my iMac it renders 4K UHD much, much quicker than Adobe Premiere Pro with essentially the same edits. On top of that, DaVinci Resolve 12 is completely free. What more could you want?

Only if apple let us build computers! :p

Good to have a vote for DaVinci

Only if apple let us build computers! :p

Nah, you don't need to customize it... a stock 5K iMac will do just fine editing 4K footage from a Phantom using DaVinci Resolve. We're not doing anything remotely close to a Hollywood film although DaVinci can certainly color grade those as well.

Nah, you don't need to customize it... a stock 5K iMac will do just fine editing 4K footage from a Phantom using DaVinci Resolve. We're not doing anything remotely close to a Hollywood film although DaVinci can certainly color grade those as well.

Only if they were affordable o_O

Mac Pro. Will do everything you can throw at it now effortlessly and cover you for a lot of future demands that new formats/higher bitrates will provide.

A way to run DJI 4K footage on a less powerful machine is to transcode it to something that is less hardware demanding. For Macs, the standard Prores works well. I use resolve for both editing and color correction on a 2008 MacPro with a 4K graphics card.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Laptop... 2014... Lenovo.. and a mouse, and sometimes I use that mouse to color grade with sony browse, and then I edit it all through powerdirector 15. Since it ain't a 4k screen, the scopes have been real useful.

5K iMac w/Final Cut Pro X (although I just installed DaVinci Resolve 12.5, as it looks impressive)

5K iMac w/Final Cut Pro X (although I just installed DaVinci Resolve 12.5, as it looks impressive)
I'll have to download DaVinci Resolve. I've been using Premiere Elements 15, which renders and outputs 4K edits very well, with a nice suite of transitions and titling, and I find the ability to one-button render and upload to YouTube or FaceBook very convenient. It's pretty good for $79, but it doesn't handle color correction all that well. Doesn't look like it will cost me much to see if DaVinci meets my needs.

On my iPad Pro, I've been using iMovie lately for quick edits in the field. I must say, I was kind of impressed with iMovie for that purpose.

I have been editing 4K on windows with a 3 year old laptop with a 1080 monitor, i7 (3 years of generations ago), 8mb ram, no graphics card, and a 5400rpm HDD using Sony Movie or Premier. But it was all it could do. I had to shut most everything else down. I could not use DaVinci, it would not run it

I just bought a laptop with FHD monitor, i7, 12mb ram, NVIDIA 940, 128gb SSD, and a 1 TB 5400rpm HDD. I have not had the chance to edit any vid yet, but based on my old specs, I expect it will chew through 4k like a puppy does slippers. It plays 4k with 10 tabs of Chrome (HUGE resource hog if you are having trouble by the way) and tons of everything else open. My old laptop would not even play 4k with all of that open

Mac Pro, 2tb thunderbolt drive (necessity), 5 tb usb3 drives, 32megRAM (need more)...
The Video card, RAM and Hard Drive are hugely (bigly) important! The biggest improvement was the thunderbolt drive.

Reactions: macwylie

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.