Possible ESC fault??

Reaction score
hi guys,

After a bit of advice. Have a phantom 2 that appears to have an issue. When I power it on, looking at it from the rear, the left hand arm only will turn red. When it gets a GPS lock only the right hand arm has the slow flashing green, the left just goes out.

Other than that everything else seems fine, vision app reports gps etc. Motors spin up. Not actually tried to fly it in case it drops from the sky!

I believe it has been crashed as I got it cheap second hand.

I am thinking a possible ESC issue on the arm that goes red??

Hey Terrymcg,
Sounds to me like water damage, LEDs are the first to go.
Seen it many times, the components on the esc are covered with a clear glue, but the LEDs are open for corrosion, as well as the tall capacitor on each esc, both can be easily damaged when water is present.

Anyhow,
Since 2 or more are an issue, I'd suggest replacing all 4 ( with version 2.1's ) if you have an older phantom ey might be 2.0's.
Sometimes you can find a lot of all 4 pretty cheap on eBay, or get ahold of member ( HUNCH ) as he has LOTS of parts. He is a really cool guy, and gives nice deals.

Keeps up updated to your repairs.
They are super easy to fix, and all 4 are identical, just pay attention to the red/yellow motor leads when re-soldering them, as they are polarity sensitive, due to 2 motors are CCW, and other 2 are CW.
TAKE PICTURES, and use them when reassembly, or do 1 at a time, it will be the same is motor opposite it.

Hope this helps!
J Dot
:cool:

Reactions: Mark The Droner
Thanks for the reply.

I have worked out last night that it is in fact the green LEDs on the arm that are gone, hence it can't mix the colours to make the yellow light.

So looks like I will just replace the ESC to sort it out.

It flys completely normal.

Will check out the 2.1 ESCs!

Thanks again

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20