Poly-Styrene Foam Landing Gear Protectors Do Help

Reaction score
One thing I noticed when landing was the thin landing struts tend to make a smooth landing a little wobbly if you are not using cement or a flat surface. Being I'm in the country, the only flat surface is the road.

So, I experimented with different materials and began making these extremely light weight land gear protectors and wow, what a difference. These also protect the bottoms of the struts from scratches when landing. I drove everywhere looking for the materials and only found one place so I bought enough to make sets for my friends and now everyone is asking for a set.

I have them in blue, lime green, red and purple and can mix or match any color for you. I mixed the colors so it was easier to see forward from a distance but I can make you a set with the same colors and zip ties for just $8.00. When you have $1,200.00 bucks tied up in a recreational toy, adding a set up landing gear protectors for just $8 bucks is a cheap investment. You don't have to order from China and wait three weeks either. These are American made and recyclable and can be mailed out within 24 hours. You can even trim them easily with scissors to give them a custom streamlined look.

If you guys want a pair, let me know. Just send me a PM. I am working to take credit cards with my bank to make it easier for everyone and should have that done by mid week. These also help is absorbing the minute vibrations (we call the Jello affect) associated with rotor-craft so if you are shooting any video or photos, you should see a difference.

I also make "custom sized" landing gear protectors so if you need some custom made for any RC platform, let me know.

Attachments

• Landing Skids, Zip Ties and Quadcopter.jpg
    Landing Skids, Zip Ties and Quadcopter.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 1,376
  • Close Up of Skid & Compass.jpg
    Close Up of Skid & Compass.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 1,343
  • Poly Styrene Foam Skids  400 x 300.jpg
    Poly Styrene Foam Skids 400 x 300.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 1,260
Re: I Have Poly-Styrene Foam Landing Gear Protectors Here

I'm not seeing the relationship between pool noodles on the landing skids and video jello. Please explain

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

flyshasta said:
I'm not seeing the relationship between pool noodles on the landing skids and video jello. Please explain

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like the wind will turn them every way but loose too.

Pipe lagging and duck tape does just as good a job...but not available in pink.

HaHa!....nice one though

Funny, funny, funny. Ill bet the researcher who lost his quad and Dslr camera ($1400) in the Ocean when his did a flyaway wished he had these gear protectors (floats) on his Phantom when it took a nose dive into the Ocean.

Also, its not pink. Red and green are used just as red and green are two of the colors used on the P2V lights, plus its Christmas. :lol: :lol:

Good question on the floats. I will do a float test based on the 2.95lbs. the P2V weighs and let you know how well they do.

In the mean time, fly only over frozen water. :lol:

Qwadjok said:
One thing I noticed when landing was the thin landing struts tend to make a smooth landing a little wobbly if you are not using cement or a flat surface. Being I'm in the country, the only flat surface is the road.

So, I experimented with different materials and began making these extremely light weight land gear protectors and wow, what a difference. These also protect the bottoms of the struts from scratches when landing. I drove everywhere looking for the materials and only found one place so I bought enough to make sets for my friends and now everyone is asking for a set.

I have them in blue, lime green, red and purple and can mix or match any color for you. I mixed the colors so it was easier to see forward from a distance but I can make you a set with the same colors and zip ties for just $8.00. When you have $1,200.00 bucks tied up in a recreational toy, adding a set up landing gear protectors for just $8 bucks is a cheap investment. You don't have to order from China and wait three weeks either. These are American made and recyclable and can be mailed out within 24 hours. You can even trim them easily with scissors to give them a custom streamlined look.

If you guys want a pair, let me know. Just send me a PM. I am working to take credit cards with my bank to make it easier for everyone and should have that done by mid week. These also help is absorbing the minute vibrations (we call the Jello affect) associated with rotor-craft so if you are shooting any video or photos, you should see a difference.

I also make "custom sized" landing gear protectors so if you need some custom made for any RC platform, let me know.

That would be nice for the Snow

Chuggie:

I'll send you a set for free. Just let me know how you like them and post some photos in use.

PM me with mail info.

Took mine onto the frozen lake yesterday and the colored skids really helps to identify direction in daylight. Fingers nearly froze solid, but the P2V kept flyin.

jimre said:
And another one - this time an actual test float/flight:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRzaagd-LFo

After watching that one, I'd guess the pucker factor was high as the aircraft touched down.... and I'd also guess the surface tension might be too much for a smooth ascent from floating position if the water was anything but glass.

Jimre

Thanks for the links to the DJI floats. Those are some mega floats and it does show them to be useful over water. Reminds me of the fly in fishing trips to Canada. Anyone wanting to film over water and fears they could lose their P2V would do well by keeping a set of those heavy duty floats on hand. imo

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4