Poll: Who is from Florida?

Are you from Florida?

• Yes

Votes: 57 70.4%
  • No

Votes: 24 29.6%

• Total voters
In thinking about driving to Tampa. St Pete this weekend.

I haven't actually received it yet - waiting on delivery. I just moved here from Alabama, so I don't really know the area. The park by the pier downtown looks pretty enticing though. It was virtually empty the other day when I went.

Vinoy park. I've flown down there. You can get way out on the bay from there. Albert Whitted is not listed as a no fly zone either, so you've got to be careful from there.

Vinoy park. I've flown down there. You can get way out on the bay from there. Albert Whitted is not listed as a no fly zone either, so you've got to be careful from there.

Just to verify--you're saying Albert Whitted is NOT a no-fly zone? Not that I want to fly there-just seems odd, if so.

Just to verify--you're saying Albert Whitted is NOT a no-fly zone? Not that I want to fly there-just seems odd, if so.

Correct. And rightly so, it's a small strip and as far as I can tell DJI doesn't list any small air strips as no fly-zones. I just mentioned it because Vinoy park is less than a mile away from it and I see small craft coming in every once and a while.

Correct. And rightly so, it's a small strip and as far as I can tell DJI doesn't list any small air strips as no fly-zones. I just mentioned it because Vinoy park is less than a mile away from it and I see small craft coming in every once and a while.

Makes good sense. Thanks for the heads' up.

Altamonte Springs / Longwood or "Orlando North" as some here, are trying to adopt the name. But Don't even think about flying in Orlando anymore, as there is a new ordinance against it, thanks to a few bad apples. Downtown, is only 2 miles from Orlando Executive Airport, which most people don't realize, obviously. Other than that, it's a great place, but actually a little boring as far as scenery goes, because it's flat, other than a few hills. Mostly pine and oak trees. There are plenty of lakes, springs and some rivers. The coasts are nice, but scare me a bit, as I don't want to get that lovely salty air, all over and in my Phantom. If anyone has some suggestions, on where to fly around here, I'd love to hear about them. Thanks in advance : )

Last edited:

PLEASE inform yourself as to what Class of airspace each airport falls under. If this particular airfield has no actively manned control tower, or limited manned control tower, it can fall into either Class E or Class D respectively. There are restrictions and regulations for both that regulate your vertical space, AKA altitude, AND radius in and around such facilities.Given special circumstances, NOTAM's may be issued that affect ALL traffic no matter what is being piloted. Look for the specifics at each given Class of airspace on the Internet.

Just because DJI doesn't recognize a given small airport as Class B or C doesn't mean you can just willy-nilly fly in and around it without having the ability to monitor and communicate with local traffic. Entering such airspace at even 10m altitude can put you at severe risk for prosecution should you cause a midair collision.

As always, being an informed pilot is to ensure you're a SAFE pilot. As I've mentioned, the BOX may say Ready To Fly, but the pilot, well that is another story altogether. I don't simply refer to the skills needed to fly a quad capable of what ours are. I refer to the rules and regulations concerning WHERE we fly as well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airspace_class#United_States

Reactions: mmjax
Fully aware, was sharing with the guy who said he just moved here from Alabama, that he may not have known there is a strip right there. ;)

Fully aware, was sharing with the guy who said he just moved here from Alabama, that he may not have known there is a strip right there.

Good to know. I just didn't get that from the post I replied to.

I just feel the need to throw that out there so others who may inquire will know as well. Three things a pilot never has enough of. Altitude, fuel and knowledge. ;)

I completely agree, and appreciate it. My sentiment was that I feel DJI was correct in not labeling every small strip as a no fly zone. If Albert Whitted was deemed a no fly zone we wouldn't be able to fly at Vinoy or any of the parks near the pier and that would be a shame since no planes, going to or coming from, Albert Whitted come near those parks.

Reactions: BlackHawk388
I'm from Bushnell, FL. Right where I-75 and the Florida Turnpike split! New to this, and looking for some folks from my immediate vicinity to fly with.

I'm from Bushnell, FL. Right where I-75 and the Florida Turnpike split! New to this, and looking for some folks from my immediate vicinity to fly with.

I'm in Leesburg. Live in a subdivision near Venetian Gardens (where I mostly fly) known as Palmora Park. I can be contacted via email - aburkefl at gmail dot com.

What about the everglades? I'd love some aerial footage of that posted here somewhere. Assuming you're able to fly there, that is...

Apparently not Everglades National Park. Maybe special permissions could be granted. Would like to see footage too.

Small Unmanned Aircraft Systems and the National Park Service
Current Status
On June 19, 2014, National Park Service Director Jonathon B. Jarvis signed Policy Memorandum 14–05, Unmanned Aircraft – Interim Policy. Its purpose was “to ensure that the use of unmanned aircraft is addressed in a consistent manner by the NPS before a significant level of such use occurs within the National Park System.” Each superintendent was directed “to use the authority under 36 CFR 1.5 to close units of the National Park System to launching, landing, or operating unmanned aircraft…” This policy is still in place and the public may not use unmanned aircraft in the national parks.

Read Policy Memorandum 14–05 – Unmanned Aircraft – Interim Policy

Aviation: Unmanned Aerial Systems | U.S. National Park Service

I am not technically "from" Florida. Moved there in '66 when dad was stationed at Eglin. Grew up there. Still have a house there. So I am still officially a Florida resident. Just not there right now.

honeymoon island in Clearwater is good spot to fly

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl