POLL: What do you shoot, 1080, 2.7, or 4K?

Not counting commercial shoots, who shoots in 4K?

• Total voters
Not sure if others experience this, but my P4Ps 4K video has such bad Moire that I'm embarrassed to show the footage to people. After all, it's an expensive drone. I figure that I either have a unique issue with my particular model, or it's a generic design problem.
If you are seeing moire, it can be avoided by turning the sharpness down a bit. Most think the default settings are too sharp anyway. Try turning it down one increment at a time.

To shoot 4K and render 4K, you need a pretty good computer to handle this. You can use proxy files for this, but it still takes a lot of render time without a good computer. I'm curious what most people are doing when they shoot video for personal use, not counting commercial. I always shoot 1080 for personal use because my TV is 1080, so is my computer screen.

I realize there's the option to crop 4K video, or even 2.7K for things like removing prop views, then render in 1080, that's a clear advantage for those that shoot 4K or 2.7 as SOP.

I do a lot of photography, but video is still new to me. What do you mean by "render"? I most often shoot at 4K, although I'll use 2.7K if I'm not concerned about a full cinematic experience. Of course, slow-motion takes you all the way down to 1080, so no choice there.
Anyway, I use Mac, and I download my videos directly to a file folder on my desktop - just open the micro-SD card and copy to the selected folder. Then I open iMovie and just import it directly from there. I go in that round-about way because it seems like if I import directly to iMovie from the micro-SD card, I run into problems. If I put the video files into a desktop folder first, seems like there's rarely a problem, although some files never download - I keep getting "error" messages.
But I just copy/download to my computer, then import to iMovie. I don't find any 'render' option in the process.

So I've been searching for a more reliable video app (for Mac), but other than spending 500 dollars for Final Cut Pro, it seems there's nothing but iMovie. :/

I do a lot of photography, but video is still new to me. What do you mean by "render"? I most often shoot at 4K, although I'll use 2.7K if I'm not concerned about a full cinematic experience. Of course, slow-motion takes you all the way down to 1080, so no choice there.

Rendering refers to the process where your NLE or Non Linear Editor (software) processes the video segments, graphics, transitions, effects, etc into a smooth sequence playback, rather like assembling the puzzle. This was the non-complicated definition.

And just so you are aware, 4K, 2.7K, 1080 are resolutions and have no effect on slow-motion possibilities... That has to do with frame rate to achieve true slowmo. Industry standard would be over 120 FPS, although some success can be achieved at 60 FPS.

The keys to a good editing machine hardware come down to 4 basics...
CPU, GPU (video card), RAM, and Drive qualities. I'd recommend everyone to be using an SSD for their project drives at a minimum. Paired with RAM upgrades, this are typically the easiest ways to see great performance gains without investing in an expensive new machine. If you are putting together specs for a new machine, invest in the most processor you can afford (most cores) and best video card. Start with an absolute minimum of 16GB of RAM and add more later as budget allows. Budget for a smaller SSD drive to place your OS and Program files on, a second SSD media project drive, then as much in quality optical drives that you can afford to backup and archive to.

And just so you are aware, 4K, 2.7K, 1080 are resolutions and have no effect on slow-motion possibilities... That has to do with frame rate to achieve true slowmo. Industry standard would be over 120 FPS, although some success can be achieved at 60 FPS.

True, but in the DJI Go (4) app, 4K and 2.7K do not have frame rates higher than 30fps. To get to 120fps, the highest resolution you can use is 1080.

Your explanation of rendering fits with my basic understanding, but I don't find anywhere on my Mac where there's even a choice on that. The iMovie app's "Preferences" has a 'Render' selection, but the ONLY option there is "Delete" (wtf?). So when I import videos from the micro-SD card, I have no idea how they're being rendered. They just ... import (or not, sometimes).

True, but in the DJI Go (4) app, 4K and 2.7K do not have frame rates higher than 30fps. To get to 120fps, the highest resolution you can use is 1080.
I'm just helping identify the correct terminology. Yes, you will need to be at 1080 to achieve 120 FPS for true slomo.

Your explanation of rendering fits with my basic understanding, but I don't find anywhere on my Mac where there's even a choice on that. The iMovie app's "Preferences" has a 'Render' selection, but the ONLY option there is "Delete" (wtf?). So when I import videos from the micro-SD card, I have no idea how they're being rendered. They just ... import (or not, sometimes).
I am not familiar with iMovie at all and it very well may not have a Render function. I'm referring to Premiere Pro and FCP with the necessary function of rendering a sequence during final review or to check performance prior to exporting.

tart with an absolute minimum of 16GB of RAM and add more later as budget allows. Budget for a smaller SSD drive to place your OS and Program files on, a second SSD media project drive, then as much in quality optical drives that you can afford to backup and archive to.
I agree with most of these recommendations, especially the 500GB SSD for installing the OS and any applications used. Then import the SD card contents to the SSD video editing program and edit. However, I recommend a 6 or 10TB HDD from Seagate for video archive storage. Keep the current active video files on the SSD as a duplicate for a while, 4 to 6month, then purge as needed to keep the SSD with available space and leave the old video files on the HDD, in case you need them. But to do that the 10TB (or 6TB) drive, you will need to format and initialize the HDD using GPT, so a new computer setup with SSD and HDD would be ideal. IMHO that's a more cost effective way to store video, especially if you shoot 4K. But you may want to pay for a backup service that includes video files.

I agree with most of these recommendations, especially the 500GB SSD for installing the OS and any applications used. Then import the SD card contents to the SSD video editing program and edit. However, I recommend a 6 or 10TB HDD from Seagate for video archive storage. Keep the current active video files on the SSD as a duplicate for a while, 4 to 6month, then purge as needed to keep the SSD with available space and leave the old video files on the HDD, in case you need them. But to do that the 10TB (or 6TB) drive, you will need to format and initialize the HDD using GPT, so a new computer setup with SSD and HDD would be ideal. IMHO that's a more cost effective way to store video, especially if you shoot 4K. But you may want to pay for a backup service that includes video files.
At 20GB per flight on the P4P, a 500GB SSD without any OS or program files would be completely filled in just 25 flights. If you fly more than one flight a day, and only fly every other day, that SSD will be full within a matter of weeks rather than 4 to 6 months. The purging will need to be much more frequent, but keeping the active files on the fastest SSD program drive certainly makes sense for editing and rendering. I currently use five 5TB external Seagate USB 3.0 drives to store my media, as CostCo sells them for $119 each, and they chain together, and stack easily, obviating the need for an additional hub. Still need a power strip for all the bulky AC adapters, though.:cool:

At 20GB per flight on the P4P, a 500GB SSD without any OS or program files would be completely filled in just 25 flights. If you fly more than one flight a day, and only fly every other day, that SSD will be full within a matter of weeks rather than 4 to 6 months. The purging will need to be much more frequent, but keeping the active files on the fastest SSD program drive certainly makes sense for editing and rendering. I currently use five 5TB external Seagate USB 3.0 drives to store my media, as CostCo sells them for $119 each, and they chain together, and stack easily, obviating the need for an additional hub. Still need a power strip for all the bulky AC adapters, though.:cool:
Very true, I was using myself as an example on behalf of the 54% of us who don't shoot 4K. If one prefers 4K then yes, you'll purge more often, or need a larger SSD. I'm still wishing I had an SSD in my home desktop, Hah!. I'm actually waiting for the new Intel 3D Crosspoint Opane FLASH technology SSDs to be released, which I plan to install in a new 7th Gen i-Core PC. Opane is supposed to be 1000 X faster! than today's NAND FLASH. And the wear duration is 1000 greater too. I'm still thinking this propaganda from Intel is too good to be true. They call it "disrupting technology", and if what they say is true, it will be. This is approximately the speed of DRAM. I'm getting an update from Intel here at my company later this month.

Very true, I was using myself as an example on behalf of the 54% of us who don't shoot 4K. If one prefers 4K then yes, you'll purge more often, or need a larger SSD. I'm still wishing I had an SSD in my home desktop, Hah!. I'm actually waiting for the new Intel 3D Crosspoint Opane FLASH technology SSDs to be released, which I plan to install in a new 7th Gen i-Core PC. Opane is supposed to be 1000 X faster! than today's NAND FLASH. And the wear duration is 1000 greater too. I'm still thinking this propaganda from Intel is too good to be true. They call it "disrupting technology", and if what they say is true, it will be. This is approximately the speed of DRAM. I'm getting an update from Intel here at my company later this month.
Indeed. Although 54% of the 91 people who voted after reading this thread are hardly a representative cross-section of the PhantomPilots membership of 77,000, nor the over 500,000 Phantom owners world wide. However, I'm sure the actual numbers, were they known, would definitely be higher than the sample percentage of 54%, as shooting in 4K does require more effort and hardware and sophisticated software than 1080p, which can be edited directly on YouTube. The 4K shooters are probably equivalent to the percentage of camera buyers that shoot in RAW v. jpg. The Intel 3D Crosspoint Opane FLASH technology SSD sounds promising and expensive! :cool:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik