Polar Pro vs Snake River Prototyping Filters - You Decide

Reaction score
filters.jpg

Here to start the discussion which is better? We have heard the threading problems with some on the Polar Pro, but at only 2 grams difference can be mounted with no counter balance. The SRP filter comes in at an additional 7 grams, so counter balance may be recommended. The gimbal itself is not perfectly balanced from factory and that may be a intended design purpose or result of which we do not know of? So balancing to stay in place in any position when off may not exactly be the right balance. I know mine stock falls to the side and forward, but yet in flight is perfectly level, no gimbal adjustment needed from factory.

So lets start a thread comparing the results of each of these and try to determine - which is better overall? Which has better optics? Which has less impact on the gimbal? What you see here was almost evenly priced...the Polar Pro you get 3 at 69.99 and the SRP was like 54.00 but is a dual ND8 and CP.

I so far have been in a state of what we call June Gloom here at the coast in Southern California. So i received the PP last week and the SRP today, but have had no sun to test these both... :( When i do i will be sure to report back.

I so far have been in a state of what we call June Gloom here at the coast in Southern California. So i received the PP last week and the SRP today, but have had no sun to test these both... :( When i do i will be sure to report back.
You must be on the beach, it's sunny by early afternoon in Irvine [emoji3].

I did notice a circular glare when facing towards the sun at an angle with the PP filters. Not sure I recall seeing this with the stock UV. See if you can replicate and then compare with SRP. Also curious if ND+CP is really worth it unless you're over water trying to capture fish or marine life....

Last edited:
Reactions: freeskier989
Ya i'm right ON the beach lol. JG all day long. The added CP will help pop some extra color i believe but that's all they make for now is the combined. So it's either screw off and on, or use the slip on SRP and removable counter weight with velcro (dime/nickel). The weight makes for a nose dive with the SRP, so like on the GP4, I think counter balance is a must for sake of the gimbal.

Just ordered my PP 3 pack from the zon prime.

I really like that I don't have to screw with balancing, they're glass, and there's 3 different lenses for different enviroments.

I'll update when they get here

I personally prefer the Polar Pro filters because it's not much added weight and I would be be skeptical after reading the disclaimer they have on the SRP website.

I prefer SRP, from my past experience with GoPro filters they are the best available, best quality glass...

Look forward to hearing what else people have to say, will be picking up some very soon!

I've struggled a lot with this. I have both and after using and testing I'm sticking with SRP.

May sound obvious but it's about how well the product works physical but more importantly optically.

SRP:
• The glass in SRP's is superior. While cleaning i noticed that even the edge of the glass is blackened to keep true to the light manipulation each filter is designed to do.
• The imagery is cleaner and more true for post color work.
• With a slip on lens (and they are tight as they should be) I can easily mark, install and then rotate the CP to its optimal position.
• They're not going to offer an ND4 because.... apparently not enough were asking for one and I agree.
So they're listening to their professional customers vs cranking out what the Jones' are doing just to make a buck.
• The have an ND16 that should be available very soon. No one has had the forethought to produce a reasonably priced ND16 for aerial work. Again they listen.
• Rumors have it (not confirmed but fingers crossed) that they'll have a graduated ND. ND16 on the very top to ND8 midway to bottom?
Therefore these guys understand optical needs for for aerial work specifically.
• Balance: Of course time will tell but because I love what these filters produce I started rethinking. IMHO...The force against the camera/gimbal at say a 25mph wind resistance (flying fast or from natural wind) is MUCH greater that 7g. This gimbal has been engineered with this force and more in mind because...it's an aerial camera on a quad. Because of the incredible quality I'm getting I've decided to "risk it", trust the technology of the P3 gimbal and fly. Iv'e seen the disclaimer on their site. Made me nervous but I'd do the same thing I guess since I'm offering and after market product. Faith on that one. All said and done, having an ND for aerial work is an absolute necessity to me, not a preference. So far my footage hasn't shown any signs of gimbal stress, shaking or hibernation. No visible or audible stress in movement, balance or maintaining level. So.... so far so good. Time will tell and I REALLY hope I'm not crying about this in two months.

PP have some inherent 101 production flaws:
• The threading wasn't thought through. My first set would not screw on more that 1/4 a turn because the anodizing process apparently wasn't properly factored in. (Second set was better but not perfected as there's still some rough spots when installing. I don't want to ruin the threads of the camera from repeatedly grinding it of and on.) Therefore after the coating was applied it changes the thread ratio... or makes the threads fatter IMHO. Was advised by PP to really use some force... uh, no thanks. Put a little oil on the threads? Next to seams where oil can seep into the camera or lens? Uh, no thanks. Shouldn't it just screw on like the stock UV does? Just sayin'.
• If you're farmiliar with how all CP's work you know they have a sweet spot. You have to rotate to that sweet spot on camera so the effect is active. If you can't rotate to that sweet spot a CP is rendered...useless. The PP CP isn't engineered, when fully seated, where the angle is in the perfect and correct CP position. So if you can get it on past a 1/4 turn you have to stop at the sweet spot leaving the filter 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 etc. from all the way seated. This means its subject to movement during flight as it's not tightly seated.
• The lenses are glued in. My CP has already popped out while gently cleaning. The glue seepage around the inside of all 3 is clearly visible as if it were applied with a caulk gun. Sloppy work for a piece of "optical equipment".
• Their ND8 isn't nearly as dark as the SRP ND8. If it existed the PP ND8 appears more like an ND5.8. So...who the heck is their "pro optics guy?"

I could go on but I'm disappointed and baffled at the lack of attention to things that, even a knuckle-head like me knows, should be a basic given with a product like this.

Last edited:
I like the ND filters that just slide into the existing Camera lens holder. No need to worry about the weight or counter-balancing.

I've struggled a lot with this. I have both and after using and testing I'm sticking with SRP.

May sound obvious but it's about how well the product works physical but more importantly optically.

Can you comment on use of ND+CP vs just ND? I'm hoping to just use one for MOST situations. I can imagine not wanting a CP if you want reflections in the image. But figure you can also turn it to minimize the effect???

You are correct. Just rotate the NDCP 90 degrees and you've got just an ND filter. It's not just reflections with water or glass either. Leaves and grass give off an incredible about of pure white reflection. The sky is incredible at the correct angle with a CP. it darkens and pushes the blue back while leaving clouds almost untouched in the foreground. But it also softens the whites in the clouds revealing the subtle detail in the whites and grays where it's normally blown out to pure white.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
You are correct. Just rotate the NDCP 90 degrees and you've got just an ND filter. It's not just reflections with water or glass either. Leaves and grass give off an incredible about of pure white reflection. The sky is incredible at the correct angle with a CP. it darkens and pushes the blue back while leaving clouds almost untouched in the foreground. But it also softens the whites in the clouds revealing the subtle detail in the whites and grays where it's normally blown out to pure white.

Hope this helps.

What do you mean by rotate?

Literally rotate or twist the filter while it's on the camera. SRP Filters slip on snugly around and over the camera lens. The don't thread on.
Did you use counter weight since these weigh more then the polars? Thanks for the detail info

Very nice. I've ordered the nd8/cp filter and shipped back my polar pros.

Here is a quick test i did today shot in 4K and uploaded in 4K with the SRP ND8/CP. Filter is heavy, but gimbal handles it fine, and horizon stays perfect. Only suggestion would to face your lens straight down before powering off as when you do it swings down fast. Colors/clarity is great, SRP nails it again. Will get the ND16 when it comes out next.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic