Please help Standard or Advanced?

Reaction score
Hello, I have recently purchased a Syma X5c-1 to learn how to fly a drone. I am looking to purchase a Phantom 3 very shortly, the standard is perfect on budget and I feel it's got almost everything I will need, however before I purchase one I want to be sure there isn't a good reason I should not stretch for the advanced model.

I want to drone to have some recreation fun and not always camera/video usage. I also would like to take the drone on holiday to get some nice photo and video footage. I don't feel concerned about 2.7k video and not having 4k as right now my TV and computers are not 4K ready anyway. I don't know if that is the right attitude or not, but it's one for personal use and maybe some on social media. Who knows maybe 4k next time.

I have read a lot on the web and watched lots of info on youtube, to find out the following

Reason for going with the Advanced model.

Better remote
Can use my iPad Air 2 on the remote instead of my iPhone 6
Better flyning distance
Vision Positioning
Lightbridge for HD visual

Reasons to buy the standard version

New Law's restrictionins on distance now so the standard is far enough
Great starting Phantom drone for the cost
Remote is simple and iPhone 6 plus is big enough display.
Will be perfect for my needs.

I would really like to hear your views on this please before buying one.

Thanks,
Nick

Look at bundle kits for the standard. Otherwise, I would save up for the Phantom 4. More range and longer flight times. It's going for 1200 right now. Way better vps and active track is amazing.

The bundle kit for each is what I have my eye on, the Phantom 4 looks amazing, but its out of my budget right now. Maybe in 12+ months I can look to upgrade.

The bundle kit for each is what I have my eye on, the Phantom 4 looks amazing, but its out of my budget right now. Maybe in 12+ months I can look to upgrade.

You can always get parabolic range extenders for either quad RC. if I were you I would go with the P3A. it's always nice to have nicer things ;)

P3S is old tech (from the p2v+)

What sets DJI apart is lightbridge.

Spend the extra $$ and get something with lightbridge!

If you are working on a budget I suggest the DJI refurb store.

Buy Phantom 3 Advanced (Refurbished Unit)
$ 679 usd

Comes with a warranty
Taxes / shipping / brokerage / etc is all included in the price.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I was going to go with the phantom 3 standard but after research I decided to go for advanced, better range, signal controller and I use my iPad Air with the controller. It was only 150 more than the standard so not to bad

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Reactions: buntonn
Amazon and Microcenter have had the P3A for $599 brand new. If you're not in s hurry to buy, wait for the price on P3A to drop and get it.
I was in the same boat as you. Ended up getting the P3A and never looked back.

Yeah the advanced bundle is £749 compared to the std at £449 but you get an addition battery in the advanced one and thats around £110 here alone so the deal is looking attractive. Going to keep flying the Syma as it has no aids and will teach me to fly manually, I am sure this will save my bacon with the Phantom at some point.

I have a GoPro Hero3+ Black edition which I don't use much, I am going to sell that to fund this as It seem from a quick look for my budget I'd have to go to an older drone to use it, but not 100%

Reactions: D'sAdvanced
Yeah the advanced bundle is £749 compared to the std at £449 but you get an addition battery in the advanced one and thats around £110 here alone so the deal is looking attractive. Going to keep flying the Syma as it has no aids and will teach me to fly manually, I am sure this will save my bacon with the Phantom at some point.

I have a GoPro Hero3+ Black edition which I don't use much, I am going to sell that to fund this as It seem from a quick look for my budget I'd have to go to an older drone to use it, but not 100%

Here's what I flew for about 4 months prior to getting the P3A. Best $30 spent. Once you know how to fly these little things, the Phantom is a breeze

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 446
Reactions: Mark The Droner
I used the same hubsan x4 then syma x5 then phantom 2 with a gopro now a phantom 3 standard and i get some nice shots and the quality is awsome.If you are only going to use it now and again the standard will be fine but if you are going to use it alot and want more distance then for the extra couple of hundred it would be worth it for the advance. I wish i had the got the advance but it was above my budget at the time. Im saving up for the phantom 4 now.

Sent from my SM-G900F using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: D'sAdvanced
Having some real fun with the Syma X5C-1 and learning a lot. Thanks for all the feedback and it seems I'm not the only one who has had to work out which model to buy. My son and I have a RC10 Worlds Car RC which is fast and I would love him to drive that and chase it and get some good video footage. Be fun and might get some great video.

I had the Standard. Out-ranged it and bored on the first (okay second) flight.

Sold it on CL and got an advanced. Never looking back.

The lightbridge vs wifi on Std, No comparison. The way the communication works is MUCH better on the Adv.

Anything above the standard is money well spent. There's a good reason DJI is dumping standards at Sam's Club and Best Buy for bargain prices.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

I bought the standard and loved it. Loved it more when I purchased Litchi to program flights and fly ranged flights. I have had it for 12 months and will keep it until I can save up for a p4 or inspire, but in no great hurry. Photography on the standard is great for what I want.
803c81bb233b19b7ae0e74028c541275.jpg

Reactions: buntonn and Xdjcast
For the reasons you stated your choice is obvious. A P3S. It's for budget conscious people who don't need the distance. I brought the windsurfer for better signal. $15.00. I'm not a professional photographer, couldn't build it. Every Phantom is rtf out of the box along with your phone or device. I've had mine for 3 month. It's been to Hawaii, Vegas, and various areas around my home.
It does boil down to your use and budget. I could have brought the P4. Brought a Hamilton watch with the difference. For me it was an impulse purchase. Whatever you chose. Observe the stated FAA guide lines. And enjoy.

Definitely spend the extra $$ for the Advanced. Even if you don't think you'll want/need the extra 5x range, trust me you will.

Hello, I have recently purchased a Syma X5c-1 to learn how to fly a drone. I am looking to purchase a Phantom 3 very shortly, the standard is perfect on budget and I feel it's got almost everything I will need, however before I purchase one I want to be sure there isn't a good reason I should not stretch for the advanced model.

I want to drone to have some recreation fun and not always camera/video usage. I also would like to take the drone on holiday to get some nice photo and video footage. I don't feel concerned about 2.7k video and not having 4k as right now my TV and computers are not 4K ready anyway. I don't know if that is the right attitude or not, but it's one for personal use and maybe some on social media. Who knows maybe 4k next time.

I have read a lot on the web and watched lots of info on youtube, to find out the following

Reason for going with the Advanced model.

Better remote
Can use my iPad Air 2 on the remote instead of my iPhone 6
Better flyning distance
Vision Positioning
Lightbridge for HD visual

Reasons to buy the standard version

New Law's restrictionins on distance now so the standard is far enough
Great starting Phantom drone for the cost
Remote is simple and iPhone 6 plus is big enough display.
Will be perfect for my needs.

I would really like to hear your views on this please before buying one.

Thanks,
Nick

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik