pix4d

Reaction score
SO I have to go shoot this Wal-Mart Distribution Center with pix 4d. They want a Ortho at 300 feet. This piace is pretty big. I am kind of nervous letting my drone go so far? Am I just being a whimp and the drone will be fine or should I be worried?

Id say if the weather is good you will be fine :) The P4 is a trustworthy bird as long as the battery is properly inserted.

I have tested the P4 extensively at those parameters. You should have no problem at all. It is very well capable to do the job. You are the decisive factor.

SO I have to go shoot this Wal-Mart Distribution Center with pix 4d. They want a Ortho at 300 feet. This piace is pretty big. I am kind of nervous letting my drone go so far? Am I just being a whimp and the drone will be fine or should I be worried?
Pix4d and your drone can easily handle a job like that but can you?
Have you used Pix4d before, know how it works and how to set it up to run a mission?
It's always a good idea to have experience with things like that before jumping in at the deep end.

As Meta 4 says, as long as you are up to the job then the software and the aircraft will be a non issue and the biggest area requiring attention is the mission planning. Get your head completely around Pix4d, if you haven't used it before do a few test runs on a smaller scale over an open landscape and look for unexpected issues then tackle the main job.

Do a site survey the day before.

As far as 300Ft goes, that is my standard ortho height. Using a P4P with the 20Mp camera at 91m (300Ft) and 32.9Kph (20.5 Mph) if you take an image at .50 Hz (one every two seconds) you will be able to set the software for an 80% overlap and achieve a resolution of 2.5cm (1inch) pp (Per pixel) which is sufficient to generate a 3D. If you want higher resolution you are going to have to fly lower with the P4P.

You will have to capture the photos in .jpg format, if you try and use RAW the P4P will not drop below 5 second photo spacing.

Edit. Do two capture passes at between 70 and 90º offset for best results generating a 3d but you probably know that.

Best of luck

Regards
Ari

Last edited:
Good to hear. Did it fly out of contact with your controller? That's what I'm most concerned about. In theory, the mission is uploaded to the drone, so it SHOULD just carry on, BUT does it??? I'm flying a simple Phantom 3S so don't need to control (unless things go wrong).
I'm also interested in the idea (first time I've seen it - I'm an amateur novice!) of flying the same mission twice, and combining photos before processing. Any additional advice about this?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AdriSmitJnr