Pinnacle studio 20

Reaction score
Is anyone else using pinnacle studio for there post production editing? If so are you having any performance issues?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I use it and yes it seems to be slow depending on what you are trying to do.
As with any video editing program, they are going to use lot of CPU.

To minimize things, I usually slice up my Phantom output into scenes and save them as the same resolution as the output. Only then do I build the master reel and downsize the resolution to match the desired platform.

Filmora seens faster, but has less features.

Most likely I will end up on Premiere once I figure out the UI. That was the plus of Pinnacle was the simplicity.

A good alternative in this category is Magix and you might want try trial version for free.

Download Free Software - MAGIX

This way you can see yourself if works for you. Check-out i.e. versions Movie Edit Plus or Premium. Rendering engines are performing well and robust software generally speaking, I think it's a german based company.

Note if you're used to edit with Studio you might be a bit disappointed at the beginning, as different product. This is normal and some effort is needed to get in.

Just candid feedback and I have nothing to do with Magix.

Edit : Premiere is very nice and I agree that Studio was very easy to use for fast easy copy @ paste in the timeline etc. Not sure if still the case with last versions but was for ..., 9, 10, 11, 12, 14, 15, ... (yes they skipped #13!)

Edit2 : don't forget some of these software are supporting Proxy files, useful concept to edit basis lower res cloned file for fast editing, original ones being used for final rendering export.

Last edited:
PowerDirector 15. Cheap, lightning fast, and very easy to use. I have Premier CS6, and I seldom use it anymore, that's how good PowerDirector 15 is.

When I first started editing video I started with Pinnacle. Good software, fairly easy to learn, but just kept getting more and more crash-prone. I am now using PowerDirector and still learning it but so far I am happy with it.

Thanks for the feedback looking forward to checking out the different packages that you all suggested.

I'm using studio 19 and have no complaints. I edit only 1080 video so I can't tell how it does with 4k. Very easy to use, good results.

If you stick with Pinnacle Studio, you need do some preparation.

A compressed output MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 MP4/MOV from Phantom 4 is not ideal for editing. What's more, Pinnacle Studio cannot handle 4K files well. To solve those problems, the quick workaround is to transcode DJI Phantom 4 4K files to Pinnacle Studio natively supported formats like MPEG-2.

I've used Pinnacle for years...since version 6 I believe. I have always had problems with it crashing. When I got my P4, I again tried Pinnacle and when it froze!!?!, I DELETED it! I tossed all the disks, and bought Power Director 15. It's never crashed and its rendering is super fast.

Geo

Reactions: DocDiggler
Hi Guy's,
I have been using Corel Video Studio X10 Ultimate, not as good as the more expensive software's but does the job pretty well and the price seems reasonable.
SteveP55

Good to know some are proposing trial versions so you can try before purchase.

Magix software is another example and customer support very reactive.

Hea Guy's
Here is a short video I made with my P4 using a ND 16 Filter, also used Corel Video Studio X 10 Ultimate for post production.
It's not to bad, as I am still have a lot to learn, Corel VS X10 Ultimate is a fairly inexpensive software but seems to do a descent job .I did shoot in 4K that's why I made it short. 598 mb is a little much to upload, Hope you guy's critique it in kindness, only been doing this about 4 months.
I see that if you expand the player the video quality is reduced a lot, but on a smaller screen it looks pretty good.
YouTube Link:
Thanks Guy's

Hea Guy's
Here is a short video I made with my P4 using a ND 16 Filter, also used Corel Video Studio X 10 Ultimate for post production.
It's not to bad, as I am still have a lot to learn, Corel VS X10 Ultimate is a fairly inexpensive software but seems to do a descent job .I did shoot in 4K that's why I made it short. 598 mb is a little much to upload, Hope you guy's critique it in kindness, only been doing this about 4 months.
I see that if you expand the player the video quality is reduced a lot, but on a smaller screen it looks pretty good.
YouTube Link:
Thanks Guy's
I'm not sure what's going on with your video. It's not as clear as my 1080 videos, which are edited with Pinnacle Studio 19. Your video also doesn't fill the screen, so I suppose you have the settings wrong and that's why you have black bars around the edges. I hope you are editing your SD card video. Your video looks like 720 resolution, which is the Go monitor copy, captured via Lightbridge. Are you downloading the SD card contents to your editor?

Last edited:
Editing software project might have lower/different resolution by default, causing down/upscaling starting when adding first video in the timeline. Warning message should appear to confirm project settings in scope and if to be aligned accordingly added video or not. Generally there is an option in video editing software where we can set the defaut resolution when creating a new project. Set the most close one accordingly yours vids or answer warning messages as needed.

I'm not sure what's going on with your video. It's not as clear as my 1080 videos, which are edited with Pinnacle Studio 19. Your video also doesn't fill the screen, so I suppose you have the settings wrong and that's why you have black bars around the edges. I hope you are editing your SD card video. Your video looks like 720 resolution, which is the Go monitor copy, captured via Lightbridge. Are you downloading the SD card contents to your editor?
Hi John,
Yea when I changed the format from 4k to the mp4 youtube size it screwed it up, the original is 1000 times better, so the file is super compressed or I would've had to up load a 500 + Mb file, I'm still playing with the quality of mp4 files.
Here is a link to one I did and it turned out better but the file was pretty big. Link:
https://youtu.be/evtJbEyxfUw Thanks John for your thoughts.
SteveP55

Hi John,
Yea when I changed the format from 4k to the mp4 youtube size it screwed it up, the original is 1000 times better, so the file is super compressed or I would've had to up load a 500 + Mb file, I'm still playing with the quality of mp4 files.
Here is a link to one I did and it turned out better but the file was pretty big. Link:
https://youtu.be/evtJbEyxfUw Thanks John for your thoughts.
SteveP55
That looks much better. On a cloudy day like that maybe an ND4 or ND8 may have been more vivid of a flight, kinda dark. I never bother with 4K due to the size, it's just too unwieldy, and unless someone pays me, I'm really not interested. 1080 is fine for 99% of my audience. Even if I had a 4K TV, I don't think I would do every video in 4K, because of the hassle, size, and extra time needed to produce a video. The ROI isn't there yet for me. Have you considered rendering your 4K into 1080 for convenience?

Hi John,
I think your right on the filters, and that video was shot in auto mode with the ND 16 filter, I'll give the ND 4 or 8 a try also along with reducing it to 1080 and see how that see how it all works, it's almost like an experiment trying all the variations and possibilities, but that's part of learning to do it right. Thanks for your suggestions, I'll keep it all in note the next opportunity I can get out and give them a try.
Happy Flights
SteveP55

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rockymountaincaptures