Picture quality lacking?

Reaction score
I’ve read several threads trying to figure out the limits on noise/image quality for the P3se... At this point im assuming that getting very clear stills is just not possible with a 12mp sensor? I’m not ultra-disappointed but still a little underwhelmed at what I’m able to do. Any input/feedback on the below pictures is much appreciated.

Both these were shot at iso100, a very fast shutter speed, and shot as HDR images composed with three pictures using the standard DJI go AEB setting.

C926DE8E-DD60-4BBC-A46B-43CDEF45BC7E.jpeg
092C87EE-7FB6-487A-A0CA-54F06961590E.jpeg
They came out “noisy as he*l” in my opinion. Grr.

DJI_0736_41  EMN cylindrical pano.jpg
DJI_0772_83  EMN Night PanoSm.jpg
From my perspective they look a little underexposed for processing in HDR. I have a P3S and it does have noise but it's usually in underexposed shots. Then I use some noise reduction and they look OK.
Here's a couple panos from the same location that were shot AEB, during the day and right at sunset. I didn't use any NR on the day shot, I did use a little on the other one. Very little, if any, noise in the day shot.

Last edited:
ghutch- Those pics look infinitely better than mine. Thnx for the advice, i'll have to work my histogram-reading skills. Ill work on it and see how things so with a slightly slower initial shutter speed.

Keeping your ISO at 100 like you did will help also. I shot the night pano at 200 and 400. The 400 was unusable, the 200 made it noisy.
From photography days, they always said to expose to the right, so I try to keep the histogram just to the right of the middle...

Ok this link below is a little off topic but I just think it’s freaking cool... these guys are *not* worried about noise in the pano they created;
in2white - MontBlanc Largest panoramic image
70,000 images stitched. Lol.
It's amazing to see how much you can zoom in and see so much detail. And shot on a 70D? Wow, I thought it would have been a full size sensor. I guess that would have made the file sizes even more ginormic...

This image is a composite, made from 70,000 shots! All made into one image. just a normal, camera, but LOTS of images.

Last edited:
This image is a composite, made from 70,000 shots! All made into one image. just a normal, full frame camera, but LOTS of images.

I was surprised when I was looking at it further, it's not a full frame camera. I saw photos of that bohunkus lens sitting on a 70D which is a crop camera...

Hi ghutch, that last pic looks pretty cool, Actually they all look cool ! I have been messing with some Pano and tiny planets with my P3 Adv. this one turned out fairly cool.
SteveP55

Attachments

• IMG_20180406_125813_DxO-1.jpg
    IMG_20180406_125813_DxO-1.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 239
That is pretty cool looking all right! If I were you I'd open up the mid-tones a little. I haven't shot any little planets yet. I need to upgrade my drone...
IMG_20180406_125813_DxO-1.jpg

That is pretty cool looking all right! If I were you I'd open up the mid-tones a little. I haven't shot any little planets yet. I need to upgrade my drone...View attachment 99061
Hi ghutch, yea your probably right, actually this photo is compressed a bunch, the original is over 200+ mbs, so I think I lose a lot of color when compressed. Thanks
SteveP55

Hi ghutch, Here is one that hasn't been so compressed, Took with my P3 ADV.
It's a lot better I think ? What Ya Think ?
Thanks
SteveP55

Attachments

• P3 adv. 5-8-18 Pano5-8-18125DJI_0002_stitch Tiny Planet 2.jpg
    6.1 MB · Views: 285
That is really cool! Especially looking at it at 100%. Along with a new drone, looks like I'm gonna need a lot bigger monitor too...

That is really cool! Especially looking at it at 100%. Along with a new drone, looks like I'm gonna need a lot bigger monitor too...
Thanks ghutch, What kind of drone do you have right now ? what are you using for your monitor ? they turn out a lot better when I don't compress them so much, this one is still only about 1/3 the actual size in mbs.
Take Care
SteveP55

I have a P3S using an iPad Air 2. There is just a slight lag which I hope is not the case going to one of the drones using Lightbridge or Occusync.
I'm using a 24" HP ZR2440w for a monitor. It's been a great one but it's 5 years old and needs to be replaced this year. I'm thinking another 24" or 27" but they don't make this one any more so I'll have to find something as good.

I have a P3S using an iPad Air 2. There is just a slight lag which I hope is not the case going to one of the drones using Lightbridge or Occusync.
I'm using a 24" HP ZR2440w for a monitor. It's been a great one but it's 5 years old and needs to be replaced this year. I'm thinking another 24" or 27" but they don't make this one any more so I'll have to find something as good.
The Phantom 3 Adv. Is a nice drone, I use an iPad 3 mini, and I Don't have any lag in video relay to speak of, on my PC I have an ACER 23 inch monitor and I love it, and I Don't think it was very expensive, try looking at www.tigerdirect.com they have some nice computer componens at fair prices. Just a thought.
Take Care
SteveP55

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31