philippines travel warning

Reaction score
For those of you who just want the text from the article:

"MANILA, Philippines–The Civil Aviation Authority of the Philippines (CAAP) has teamed up with the Bureau of Customs (BOC) to regulate the importation of drones, particularly those in commercial airline passenger luggage.

According to CAAP Deputy Director General for Operations Rodante Joya, owners of unmanned aircraft vehicles (UAVs), specifically those bringing in the drones as part of their plane baggage, need to secure a clearance and pay the corresponding taxes.

UAVs or drones are considered luxury items, costing over P100,000, that need to be declared at the customs.

Joya told the Inquirer that the regulation started late last year when a CAAP memorandum circular, requiring drone owners and operators to register UAVs and secure certifications for them, was enforced.

The internal arrangement with the BOC, he explained, was to ensure that all drones that enter the country are accounted for and are registered.

“Our purpose for the regulation is accountability. If it happens that a drone causes damage or harms people, we would know who to pursue and hold liable,” the CAAP official explained.

He said that a drone intercepted at the airport would be held at customs until the owner gets a CAAP certification, pays the taxes and registers the UAV.

The CAAP certification, according to Joya, is basically an undertaking or a promissory note of the owner that he will not operate the drone until after it is registered under pain of sanctions."

Last edited:
For those of you who just want the text from the article:

"MANILA, Philippines–The Civil Aviation Authority of the Philippines (CAAP) has teamed up with the Bureau of Customs (BOC) to regulate the importation of drones, particularly those in commercial airline passenger luggage.

According to CAAP Deputy Director General for Operations Rodante Joya, owners of unmanned aircraft vehicles (UAVs), specifically those bringing in the drones as part of their plane baggage, need to secure a clearance and pay the corresponding taxes.

UAVs or drones are considered luxury items, costing over P100,000, that need to be declared at the customs.

Joya told the Inquirer that the regulation started late last year when a CAAP memorandum circular, requiring drone owners and operators to register UAVs and secure certifications for them, was enforced.

The internal arrangement with the BOC, he explained, was to ensure that all drones that enter the country are accounted for and are registered.

“Our purpose for the regulation is accountability. If it happens that a drone causes damage or harms people, we would know who to pursue and hold liable,” the CAAP official explained.

He said that a drone intercepted at the airport would be held at customs until the owner gets a CAAP certification, pays the taxes and registers the UAV.

The CAAP certification, according to Joya, is basically an undertaking or a promissory note of the owner that he will not operate the drone until after it is registered under pain of sanctions."
I am flying to Philipines this comig Thursday and the drone is in my hand bag... So they will confiscated unless i pay fees or? Any idea

I am flying to Philipines this comig Thursday and the drone is in my hand bag... So they will confiscated unless i pay fees or? Any idea

Sounds like it will be looked for. Worse case is your trip is shorter than the CAAP process where they take it and you have to leave country wo UAV. No idea how to get it back remotely is stated in article.

Sounds to me like an attempt to just create more "tax" revenue. Bringing it in as a personal item with the intent to use and to take it out of the country at the end of the vacation or gig, should not be punished by that gouvernment. What's about an expensive camera? Somebody traveling with a Rolex of some big diamond studs?
Requesting to deposit a refundable bail to make sure the drone will not be sold would be reasonable and fair. But I guess, the issue is not to be reasonable, but just to squeeze another $500 out of unaware travelers. It is amazing how creative governments can be...... it' a shame qnd takes th Phillipines for sure of my travel list.

Volkhard, I agree 100%, especially when you consider the "expensive camera" angle.

I'm interested to hear of people's first hand experience with entering the Philippines since this went into effect.

Gouvernments, desperate for money, come up with all kind of "ideas" I live in Ecuador right now and they have not come up with that (yet). But they essentially killed my business (windows made out of German PVC material and hardware) by coming up (over night) with a 45% surcharge on imported material on top of the already extremly high importation costs and tariffs. As the drone industry grows and more people are having fun with it, some gouvernments might just see them as the new-tech flying cash cows.
it's a shame.

Reactions: TheAwesomeGuy
Unfortunately, drone tourists are such a small percentage (for now) that overall tourism revenues will not decrease substantially by having restrictive drone policies.

Remember the times when flying on an airliner included some checked bags until one airline came up with the idea, that bags are not free anymore (they have never been free but calculated within the price of the ticket)? Today, we often have to pay for the bags with airlines. Why did they do it? Because they could.
Imagine this drone restriction (pay $500 to be not restricted) becomes mainstream. My diving gear is more valuable than my P3P. Soon I might have to pay also tor bringing this with me? Perhaps one day we have to bring the receipt for our clothes we are wearing? (Thanks goodness I am not wearing Prada LOL).

I remember the days of the Pan Am Jet Clippers. That was the end of the Golden Age of Travel.

Soon it will be cheaper to travel with your credit card and buy your dive gear, Phantoms, clothing etc. at your destination, if this keeps up.

Frankfurt to New York, Pan Am, 747 first class! Yes these were the days :) If your vision comes through, does this mean we have to board naked? o_O

I grew up a Pan Am brat, so yes! I've made the that flight JFK to Frankfurt and back. Most of my flights were in First Class across the Pacific on the 707s, 747s, and 747SPs.

Boarding naked would be indecent. Please wear a sock and a rubber band at the very minimum.

Im from the Phil and all I can say is its another red tape by stupid people.

I've heard. My wife is from Quezon City. The circular says it does not apply to those using them for sport and recreation. The catch is the attached camera. That could move it into a more regulated category requiring the same certifications & registrations.

I hope I can get some solid answers on what fees & paperwork will be required SOON!!

I've heard. My wife is from Quezon City. The circular says it does not apply to those using them for sport and recreation. The catch is the attached camera. That could move it into a more regulated category requiring the same certifications & registrations.

I hope I can get some solid answers on what fees & paperwork will be required SOON!!

I suggest, you buy a larger luggage to put your drone so they wont see the black case with brand name on it ..Declare it as a hobby camera.. Then download the CAAP circular on their website which states that any small UAV weighing 100g to 150kg that is used other than sports or recreation does not apply to the rule..It says on their under "Applicability"

Not an option for me. The mrs is Filipino and we are going to a wedding. My case doesn't have DJI on it but that's hardly a help. They'll still see it. The fact the camera is attached might (not necessarily) make it harder to claim hobby. The problem is know what they consider "for sport and recreation". Does that mean racing and just flying around? Does "for filming" move it to a different category? I read the circular a couple times. Like most laws it's pretty vague.

Not an option for me. The mrs is Filipino and we are going to a wedding. My case doesn't have DJI on it but that's hardly a help. They'll still see it. The fact the camera is attached might (not necessarily) make it harder to claim hobby. The problem is know what they consider "for sport and recreation". Does that mean racing and just flying around? Does "for filming" move it to a different category? I read the circular a couple times. Like most laws it's pretty vague.

Photography is a hobby, a UAV wither with or without camera is the same. There is no such thing do differentiate according to CAAP circular...Just print a copy of the circular with you and highlight the part where you find "Applicability"

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.