Phanton 3 over a cliff!

Reaction score
I plan on doing some flying in the canyons of Utah. If altitude is set at a default of 400', what happens if I am on top of a canyon and fly my Phantom 3 off a 500' cliff?

at a guess it should stay at the height you fly over the cliff at as it gets its ground level set at switch on at location it is initialised at. BUT, there is some discussion about the VRS/sonar which keeps it set at a height above ground level below a certain height?? I think?? so be above the operational height of the vrs/sonar stuff just in case it does have an effect......

I plan on doing some flying in the canyons of Utah. If altitude is set at a default of 400', what happens if I am on top of a canyon and fly my Phantom 3 off a 500' cliff?

Assuming you have GPS and there's not any up or downdrafts involved...

...Nothing special really.

In aircraft GPS systems, nothing would happen, I don't have my phantom yet so I haven't done testing with it, but I'd assume it would be the same...

That being said, it does make me wonder why they (i think, from reading the manual and websites...) don't have an advanced mode for AGL (Above Ground Level) vs MSL (Mean Sea Level) settings...

The baro. is only there for attitude hold.
Making use of it for altitude should be taken with a grain of salt.

MSL would require additional sensors, and/or the input of ambient conditions, or known field elevation.

Phantoms are RTFs for 'everyone'.

What your after can be achieved but not with this platform.

You be careful flying in the canyons of Utah. These park rangers are getting testy about drones. We had an idiot flying in Zion last year and was disturbing some mountain goats. Folks complained and the rangers almost put him in handcuffs. They did issue a pricey citation.

Flying in canyons in the middle of no where and not near a national park. I should be OK!

The baro. is only there for attitude hold.
Making use of it for altitude should be taken with a grain of salt.

MSL would require additional sensors, and/or the input of ambient conditions, or known field elevation.

Phantoms are RTFs for 'everyone'.

What your after can be achieved but not with this platform.

MSL can read off GPS (or a baro mode, obiously if you had the option of an altimeter , but yeah I get what your saying... still an advanced option would make things like this easier if you understood it

Just make sure you have the VPS turned off being when its on its supposed to follow the contour of the ground and it would want to drop down if you suddenly flew over the cliff and then not at the same height away from the ground.

Just make sure you have the VPS turned off being when its on its supposed to follow the contour of the ground and it would want to drop down if you suddenly flew over the cliff and then not at the same height away from the ground.
Really? I thought it was just there to keep a more stable flight at low levels. Would it follow a slope at the same level?

Really? I thought it was just there to keep a more stable flight at low levels. Would it follow a slope at the same level?

From what Im under standing its mostly for keeping a more stable flight at low levels. But from some one showing me how it can be used on there inspire one a few weeks ago. It will follow a slope or go over bumps flying real close to the ground. Its was pretty impressive. Dude was just hovering about a foot off the ground and just hammered the right stick forward and it pretty much hugged the ground and followed the contours with out him having to even keep and eye on it and use his left stick at all to keep from eating pavement. I tried doing the same thing with my p2v at the park last week and even when starting about 3 feet off the ground by the time I was a few hundred meters away I had to start pulling up cause I was getting way close to the ground. I even noticed in the video after that I was so close near the end that i was skimming the tops of the blades of grass. even tho it was really level and flat ground. Were the dude with the I1 and the VPS it keep its height the whole time and seemed to stay pretty tight. He even flew it under a big box truck and didn't seem to have much fear going in to such a tight space. Which is some thing I would of never even dared to try with my p2v whats so ever.

Here is something to ponder....
"What if" you are located 2000 feet away from the cliff edge ?
You want to fly out to the cliff edge and then drop all the way down to the cliff bottom.​

How can you accomplish that flight ???

The vps is only good for about 12'. As per a tech at UAV Direct. Higher than that it looses hold.

The vps is only good for about 12'. As per a tech at UAV Direct. Higher than that it looses hold.

Confirmed by the published specs.

exactly what happens to an Inspire 1. Nothing. the ultrasonic system is only when its flying over hovering at a LOW level, its main use is indoors

Here is something to ponder....
"What if" you are located 2000 feet away from the cliff edge ?
You want to fly out to the cliff edge and then drop all the way down to the cliff bottom.​

How can you accomplish that flight ???

Just make sure that by the time you reached the cliff the battery was as low as it can get. It will drop to the bottom very quickly.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.