phantom + tx/rx + fpv + 2 cameras +.. help plz!

Reaction score
Hey guys and girls. I am about to purchase a Phantom. But I also want to purchase a FPV system (most likely a fat shark system). I also might go ahead and get a better radio, plus some additional things. I don't even know where to start. I hear to certainly go with a 600mw video system and get some better antenna's for video tx/rx. I have also heard to not fly with 2.4ghz, especially near lots of houses and thus WiFi, which is where I plan to fly mostly. It seems 72mhz is the way to go. I have also heard to not FPV with a GoPro because of the risks of loosing video. Some have recommended to FPV with a seperate cheap ccd camera and have a video switch so I can switch between the fpv cam and the go pro, does anyone have experience with that. Does anyone fly with more than 1 battery, if so what mods are needed to be able to carry that extra weight? Can anyone please make some suggestions of what I actually need to buy or recommend any companies to buy from that will help me build my rig. I have probably called 3 or 4 companies that sell Phantom and FPV systems etc..but no one ever answers.

As you can see I have lots of questions and not a good source for real answers with product suggestions. I greatly appreciate any help you all can give. Thanks in advance!!

Andrew

By the sound of it I wonder why you want a phantom, much better looking at a f450 if you want all that extra gear and a different radio, the phantom is great as it is but there are better options if you want to push it a bit further with all the extra gear. You will quickly start running out of space and using 2 batteries is not a great option with the phantom.

Fpv with the gopro is fine I have no issues with it but if you get a fatshark setup then it may come with a small fpv cam also. You can use either for the fpv feed and some OSD's will also let you use both and switch the feed via your radio there may also be other ways to do this I just haven't looked into it too much.

Not sure what sort of quad experiance you have but if you have none youd be better off learning to fly line of sight and then switch to fpv. LOS is trickier to fly but if anything ever happens to your video feed and you dont know how to fly los your pretty much screwed lol. Just get the basics and add on to it it as you learn to fly a bit better, you dont need all that gear on your first flights as it will make any crash much more expensive and your best off getting a good grasp of the basics before trying many of the other things you want to do.

Well I guess I should say I probably won't buy all these things up front. The main reason I haven't looked at a f450 is because I thought the initial price was much higher. But I can't really tell because I can't find any packages that include everything to get started. Any idea on price?

martcerv is correct. You would be wasting your money buying a Phantom, with everything you will be adding.
You need to take your time, and research before making a purchase.

There are more stable flying platforms, designed with an fpv camera, and GoPro. The QAV400, and TBS Discovery, to name
a few. They are based on the FW450, but elongated, which helps keep the systems separated, to reduce interference,
and house all the electronics, and larger battery.

Awesome. Thanks and I love doing the research. It's just hard when you are just starting out. Any good companies you guys could recommend to do business from, preferably ones with knowledgeable sales and support people

Hello,
I used to FPV + Filming with GoPro H3be and sometimes that freezed, so I added a mini CCD 520TVL sony Camera for dual view-film while FPV.
Here some pictures and you can watch also how do i integrate them for using a gimbal (required for watching what am I filming) ;)

2-cameras-gimbal-b.jpg

2-cameras-gimbal.jpg

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dasEgmNKc84[/youtube]

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...PV_Camera_520TVL_PAL_1_3_Hi_res_Sony_CCD.html

I used to FPV + Filming with GoPro H3be and sometimes that freezed, so I added a mini CCD 520TVL sony Camera for dual view-film while FPV.
Here some pictures and you can watch also how do i integrate them for using a gimbal (required for watching what am I filming) ;)

Hey, how do you switch between the cameras or can you? What are your battery specs and how long do they last?

droidtn said:

Hey, how do you switch between the cameras or can you? What are your battery specs and how long do they last?

No switching between cameras (not required), because where GoPro points when manual tilting the FPV cam points too, so all time I'm watching what i'm filming. In my goggles and LCD monitor I watch voltage monitor and flight timer. Optionally, sometimes I move the FPV camera to top sites of phantom and attach it with velcro.

I use Zippy and VGE 2200 mah 25C batteries. I live at 2000 mts ASL, so the thin air requires more power for motors. Actually i'm getting 5-6 minutes fligth time, my phantom weight with battery is 1180 gr.

Phantom-Weight-2%20cameras.jpg

I definitely understand what you guys are saying about looking into a different copter. The TBS Discovery does seem pretty sweet. But from what I can tell that copter or something similar is around 2k to get it setup. Am I looking at the wrong pricing or does that sound right? My budget is about half that, that's why I am curious. I know it would spend more than 1k with the phantom and all the stuff I want to do to it, but those additions would be done one at a time.

Have you looked into the pricing of all the extra component's you want to add on to the phantom. This will get well over $1000 just changing the radio will be $300+ same for fpv then all the rest. You can get something like the f450 for a similar price to the phantom just without a radio. Then you can add on bits as you go with the advantage of jot being so space limited inside the shell and also having more options on the battery.

I do have a highly modified phantom atm and am happy with it but at some point I will move most of my gear to a f450 or f550, had i looked into it better and had I known how many mods id make I would rather have started on a f450. The phantom is a great starting quad but if you want to pretty much change everything and add lots of gear to it the size and frame will cause you issues easily avoided with a different base to start with.

Once you start modding it gets about as addictive as flying, at least the phantom will slow your progress on mods by its physical limitations but you will outgrow it at some point and either upgrade to a larger frame or just get a new second setup down the track.

I do have a highly modified phantom atm and am happy with it but at some point I will move most of my gear to a f450 or f550, had i looked into it better and had I known how many mods id make I would rather have started on a f450

Have you thought of upgrading to a QAV500 instead of a F450 or F550 ?

If I went with a f450 and a Futaba radio system, will I still get the same GPS functions such as return to last known position/fail safe? Or does that depend on if I go with the Naza w/GPS?
I think I asked before, can anyone recommend any good online retailers to help me spec a system?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik