Phantom shakes slightly to the left and right (Video)

If you were flying in gps mode, not atti, then that could account for most, if not all of the twitch. I used to get that effect until a friend told me to fly in atti mode when filming. If that isnt the answer then a thorough balace of props and motors will help. If you have ever crashed this phantom hard, it may have upset the geometry a tiny amount which is causing an overcorrection loop as the machine tries to straighten up after a small amount of yaw, and winds up overcorrecting itself. I have a slightly warped Phantom which just will not fly right, so I am transferring all the components into a new body shell.

In GPS mode the NAZA auto corrects nose heading with yaw, in atti mode I dont think compass is used at all and so the NAZA only has control of pitch to auto level the craft. The reason I think the compass isnt used at all is because you can have a naza controller without GPS and compass and still use ATTI mode and installing the combined GPS/Compass unit gives you access to GPS modes IOC and RTH.

With GPS it auto levels but also points the nose in the direction your wanting it to move counteracting the wind and this is only clearly noticeable when the gimbal takes care of all the pitch movements but being only 2 axis it doesn't do anything about the yaw axis. In ATTI mode if heading straight ahead with a crosswind it will drift away from the nose direction but in GPS mode NAZA will yaw to keep the heading straight and not let the wind drift you off course.

Using ATTI mode should help avoid this issue as much as possible I would think but you need to deal with the wind yourself as the NAZA will let it drift.

martcerv said:
In GPS mode the NAZA auto corrects nose heading with yaw, in atti mode I dont think compass is used at all and so the NAZA only has control of pitch to auto level the craft. The reason I think the compass isnt used at all is because you can have a naza controller without GPS and compass and still use ATTI mode and installing the combined GPS/Compass unit gives you access to GPS modes IOC and RTH.

With GPS it auto levels but also points the nose in the direction your wanting it to move counteracting the wind and this is only clearly noticeable when the gimbal takes care of all the pitch movements but being only 2 axis it doesn't do anything about the yaw axis. In ATTI mode if heading straight ahead with a crosswind it will drift away from the nose direction but in GPS mode NAZA will yaw to keep the heading straight and not let the wind drift you off course.

Using ATTI mode should help avoid this issue as much as possible I would think but you need to deal with the wind yourself as the NAZA will let it drift.

I'm finding mine is not holding yaw very well at all - it tends to track at an angle in GPS mode, so I have to put in (typically) right aileron to hold it on line. Any tips? It also drifts in yaw when I climb or descend. Last time there was a crosswind, but it didn't seem like it should have overpowered the Phantom.

mroberts said:
martcerv said:

I'm finding mine is not holding yaw very well at all - it tends to track at an angle in GPS mode, so I have to put in (typically) right aileron to hold it on line. Any tips? It also drifts in yaw when I climb or descend. Last time there was a crosswind, but it didn't seem like it should have overpowered the Phantom.

If one of the motor has more resistance than the others it could cause this issue? What happens if you fly it backwards? Does it track along it original path (the skewed path)

Is it drifting in the yaw axis where it wants to keep rotating one way or the other or is it more like a crabbing flight where it doesnt continue rotating but nose will be pointing off center as you fly straight ahead?

In a strong wind it will do this a little I think as it will point the nose slightly inside the heading to keep forward flight possibly. If it is rotating in yaw and not holding this then you may want to look at doing a tx calibration. In NAZA assistant i the left stick centered when you let go of it?

howardmaryon said:
If you were flying in gps mode, not atti, then that could account for most, if not all of the twitch. I used to get that effect until a friend told me to fly in atti mode when filming. If that isnt the answer then a thorough balace of props and motors will help. If you have ever crashed this phantom hard, it may have upset the geometry a tiny amount which is causing an overcorrection loop as the machine tries to straighten up after a small amount of yaw, and winds up overcorrecting itself. I have a slightly warped Phantom which just will not fly right, so I am transferring all the components into a new body shell.

Thank you for the help. I'm going to do a nice long test in ATTI mode today and post the video. Hopefully thats the solution.

Here's my latest update: I tested flying in ATTI mode, there was probably a 10 knott wind. You will see about 28 seconds in the video I let it drift with the wind, at this point Im not touching the controls and you still see the left/right slight shake. I also updated my firmware to the latest 4.00

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOiCY5kb ... e=youtu.be

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20