Phantom Rain RESUCE JACKETS - Submersion PART 1

PhantomWetSuits

Approved Vendor
Reaction score

We are super Excited about this new product
, its going to be a game changer for those that fly over the water, the river, the lake, and the oceans. THINK RESCUE !

Phantom Rain Rescue Jacket in action: We have now cut the weight down to 3.2 ounces.
Phantom Rain Wet Suit is 2.8 ounces

Pre Orders coming soon. For both the Phantom 3 /4 series drones.

15 successful launch attempts from the water is more than what we hoped for.

Keep in mind that this video is a combination of the Phantom Rain Wet Suit and the Phantom Rain Rescue jacket getting these results

We made this for Rescue it is not meant to take sea world pictures nor is it a submarine as the camera will disconnect upon movement in the water.

Despite the touch and go no water got into the lens of the camera.

Phantomrain.org
Approved Vendor Designed for extreme weather flying.

WE HAVE NOT TESTED IN SALT WATER AT THIS TIME. Its coming ,

This is Part 1 of the Submersion series by Phantom Rain. TOUCH AND GO :)

Are goal is to float the Drone down the river in the pouring rain to the lake and still take off, of course we are shooting for the stars, but we will be happy with a drone that wont sink and geared up..

That's VERY exciting!! I gotta admit it blows my mind the camera/gimbal still work after dunking.

I want to stress this product is designed to RESCUE not to allow you to submerge your Phantom intentionally. Well done gang :)

That's VERY exciting!! I gotta admit it blows my mind the camera/gimbal still work after dunking.

I want to stress this product is designed to RESCUE not to allow you to submerge your Phantom intentionally. Well done gang :)

Fantastic, and thank you. Means a lot to me, as u kind of know the story of the day the lightbulb went off and how excited I was about the new product. Thank you.

Reactions: BigAl07

We are super Excited about this new product
, its going to be a game changer for those that fly over the water, the river, the lake, and the oceans. THINK RESCUE !

Phantom Rain Rescue Jacket in action: We have now cut the weight down to 3.2 ounces.

Keep in mind that this video is a combination of the Phantom Rain Wet Suit and the Phantom Rain Rescue jacket getting these results

We made this for Rescue it is not meant to take sea world pictures nor is it a submarine as the camera will disconnect upon movement in the water.

Phantomrain.org

Are goal is to float the Drone down the river in the pouring rain to the lake and still take off, of course we are shooting for the stars, but we will be happy with a drone that wont sink and geared up..

This is absolutely stellar. Almost all of my pleasure flights are off the coast or over a lakes/bridges, Im very excited at the prospect of always being able to recover my hard work!!!

I don't fly in the rain, so I have not been impressed up till now. Now, I am impressed. This means the difference between being able to use my insurance, and not. Looking forward to more.

I have a couple of questions

Regarding the camera and gimbal surviving: Does this product have something on the camera and gimbal that kept them dry? Or was it the native construction of them? I once dunked my P3S camera exactly like that by accident and it and the gimbal survived. I had to dry condensation from inside the lens for a day or two. So I’d be interested to know if your product seals the camera.

Sounds like this product is designed to allow a rescue from a water crash and not just dipping the bottom. Will you be showing video of a drop into the water and then complete recovery and working of the craft? Hopefully that will be part 2. I’d personally be more interested in that than a salt water test.

Can you post the video that the drone recorded from this test shown in part 1?

I don't fly in the rain, so I have not been impressed up till now. Now, I am impressed. This means the difference between being able to use my insurance, and not. Looking forward to more.

This product "might" have saved me $2k of work (and a LOT of grief) back in 2016. I had been flying for several clients and at the time I was NOT changing camera cards out until one was full. I had been shooting various still and video all morning and one of the "events" was a one-off that could not be replicated.

Due to operator error (not confirming RTH height) my aircraft impacted some 150' Oak trees and tumbled into the lake. We didn't recover the aircraft until something like 16 months later and by that time the corrosion had ruined any hopes of getting images from the camera card.

It's possible that this system would have at least kept the aircraft afloat for retrieval and given us a fighting chance of saving some of our work. Keep in mind I'm just talking about salvaging the SD card (and data on it) and not being able to rescue and fly the aircraft.

Now that I think about it... this was almost exactly 2 years ago....10/28/2016.

Total Submersion under the Water and into the Rescue Stage

Update Status: We Stripped the Phantom Rain Wet Suit off of the Phantom Drone and fully submerged it under the lake and sent it out to sea with just the Phantom Rain Rescue Jacket to see how well it maintained its survival ability afterwards.

Needless to say : After a complete Submersion we had a Dead Drone Floating for Rescue.
It took considerable effort to force the drone into total submersion so this is not something that we would expect to ever happen to your drone, but if it did, we got you covered.

Although it was definitely compromised with out the Phantom Rain Wet Suit Gear it easily surfaced and stayed a float the entire time out to sea riding the small wakes with ease.

After 30 minutes it was rescued and put on Life Support and it now in Intensive Care.
Expected it to make a full recovery in a few days however the drone has been traumatized after what it has been through in the last 2 days..

We have already determined that the Phantom Rain Rescue Jackets have the ability to keep the drone a float in the worst conditions possible for an indefinite period of time even floating upside down as long as the drone does not crack in half.

Despite the fact that the Phantom Rain Rescue Jackets will work without the Wet Suits on , keeping that battery sealed is Optimal for rescue and secondary launches from the sea.

Here are a few clips of the Drone after being submerged and adrift out in the lake Erie.
We will post more of the video on our website soon. Phantomrain.org

Update Status: We are adding a Business Card Holder for Vital Return Information to the Rescue jackets do to the fact that it can float indefinitely. This will allow for yet another Recovery Option for your drone.

Many people just mark right on the drone itself but I think the holder is a better option to go with .. Small water proof pouch will seal the single card.

Update Status: We are adding a Business Card Holder for Vital Return Information to the Rescue jackets do to the fact that it can float indefinitely. This will allow for yet another Recovery Option for your drone.

Many people just mark right on the drone itself but I think the holder is a better option to go with .. Small water proof pouch will seal the single card.

Solid idea. :)

I'm a little confused by your text in this post.

In the first part of the sentence you say "lake" and later in the same sentence you say "sea". So which is it? Did you submerge the drone in a lake, or did you submerge the drone in seawater?

Please clarify this would you?

Bud

Total Submersion under the Water and into the Rescue Stage

Update Status: We Stripped the Phantom Rain Wet Suit off of the Phantom Drone and fully submerged it under the lake and sent it out to sea with just the Phantom Rain Rescue Jacket to see how well it maintained its survival ability afterwards.

Last edited:
How is it possible to seal out the water from the battery compartment when there's a gap in the seal? I've marked the gap with a red arrow. Not the "V" shape, but the "black" gap right in the corner just to the right of the arrow point. Also, there's a noticeable gap under the battery between the seal and the battery.

This is the photo from the first page of your WebSite. Click on the photo to enlarge it.

Wetsuit.jpg

We are super Excited about this new product , its going to be a game changer for those that fly over the water, the river, the lake, and the oceans. THINK RESCUE !

Just what fully protects the motors tiny bearings all 8 of them any new ideas ?

Reactions: Jamie b
A very gentle and controlled landing on water and taking off again is really unrealistic, no one would ever do that with his drone.
Do a proper crash test, hitting the water at 10mph.
I'm NOT impressed !!

Reactions: Daasmangi
How is it possible to seal out the water from the battery compartment when there's a gap in the seal? I've marked the gap with a red arrow. Not the "V" shape, but the "black" gap right in the corner just to the right of the arrow point. Also, there's a noticeable gap under the battery between the seal and the battery.

This is the photo from the first page of your WebSite. Click on the photo to enlarge it.

View attachment 104042

The seal is on the inside of the unit along the ridge. Will post another picture soon on the website. Thanks Had to use my Battery Gen a few times already, that was a great tip . Thanks

We are super Excited about this new product , its going to be a game changer for those that fly over the water, the river, the lake, and the oceans. THINK RESCUE !

Phantomrain.org

From What I can see, this isn't a Rain Coat but a Flotation Device!!

A very gentle and controlled landing on water and taking off again is really unrealistic, no one would ever do that with his drone.
Do a proper crash test, hitting the water at 10mph.
I'm NOT impressed !!

That was for demonstration only and to show that it could be done.

You being impressed is not the point of this product or this thread.

Reactions: DKG13CC
Just what fully protects the motors tiny bearings all 8 of them any new ideas ?

They aren't protected. This merely provides a flotation device for airframe recover.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20