Phantom not as dangerous against airplanes.

Reaction score
Found this article a commercial air pilot wrote about his view of how light drones like the phantom don't pose a treat to commercial airplanes.

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/fear-drone...-ado-about-nothing-says-airline-pilot-1515001

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1439394246.804650.jpg

This was mentioned in another thread (although not in the original post), but it is an interesting perspective, although I'm not sure I would go as far as to make a definitive statement, as in the thread title, based on an individual's blog post. If one looks at the ASRS database for 2015, there was a collision between a Cessna and an unknown object where it impacted the prop/engine cowl at about 1700 ft. The pilot did not see what he hit (look at a Cessna's panel and you'll know why) but suspects a drone. Inspection on the ground (the aircraft was deemed airworthy BTW) showed it was clearly not a bird (no bird guts, just scratches on the props and cowl). There is also a helicopter incident where a drone was sent tumbling earthward by the rotor downwash of a flying helicopter. So we may have already seen some drone-aircraft contact and in both cases (if both are drones) the drone got the worst of it. Looking at that data also shows that drones seem to have replaced UFOs, especially in light of some of the more ludicrous ASRS reports like drone sightings at FL350. Model aircraft 'sightings' (a lot of the reports describe fixed-wing 'drones') now fall under drone sightings as well, further inflating numbers. Interestingly, in 2015 reports so far, there are no cases of evasive action being required or taken by pilots underlining the difference between an airspace violation and risk of collision (something I wish CalFire would figure out).

Last edited:
Reactions: GoodnNuff

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.