phantom flip

Reaction score
while bringing my phantom in to land it flipped over its port side. fortunately it was only 2m from the ground and it landed/crashed in long grass. what could have caused the flip? it won't fly now, theres a buzzer/alarm. I'm sending it back for repair. how reliable are phantoms? and can anyone recommend an insurance company?

This must have been a freak accident. I have had a Phantom 2 for over a year, and so far I haven't had any major issues (Knock on Wood lol) as far as what happened, there could have been a million things to cause that to happen. All I can say is to make sure that your phantom is updated frequently in the assistant that can be downloaded on your computer...

Phantom 1 Assistant: http://www.dji.com/product/phantom/download
Phantom 2 Assistant: http://www.dji.com/product/phantom-2/download
(If you have a windows computer, make sure you install the appropriate driver)

As far as insurance goes, It is possible that Foremost Insurance could cover something like this, but a warranty is probably the best way to go. I think amazon offers some sort of warranty, but don't quote me on either of these.

Hope I helped!

Reactions: axel lindstrand
thank you. the main reason I'm concerned is that i live in a swedish archipelago where its mostly water. i was lucky this time. if it had flipped to starboard it would have crashed into the baltic. I'm not sure how dji would respond to a warranty claim if i couldn't recover the drone to them for diagnosis.?

Attachments

• DJI00824.JPG
    DJI00824.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 354
Random tip overs during flight can be related to previous environmental factors, such as bits of sand/debris in one of the motors causing it to misbehave and tip over.
Same thing goes for flying near salt water, waves/spray... the ESC's are very susceptible to salt spray to say the least.

Updating can cause problems if it flying fine no need to update I am still flying on the original firmware (1.8) my P2 came with never had one problem . If it is not broke do not fix it .
Some more info and some testing of parts would have helped diagnose why she flipped .
Being around a lot of water you might want to invest in a Getterback rod recovery system . good for 100'
What P2 are you flying ?
What mode are you in ?
Have you done anything to her what equipment are you using ?
How many flights have you had ?
Was it windy ?

Reactions: axel lindstrand
Updating can cause problems if it flying fine no need to update I am still flying on the original firmware (1.8) my P2 came with never had one problem . If it is not broke do not fix it .
Some more info and some testing of parts would have helped diagnose why she flipped .
Being around a lot of water you might want to invest in a Getterback rod recovery system . good for 100'
What P2 are you flying ?
What mode are you in ?
Have you done anything to her what equipment are you using ?
How many flights have you had ?
Was it windy ?

I'm waiting on dji for a diagnosis
It's brand new and I've flown it twice a day for two weeks, photoing sunrise and sunset. I've had no previous problems at all, I'm definatly using it as a camere platform, not a stunt plane. I'm cautious. It wasn't windy and she had flown perfectly for 15 mins, I was about to change batteries. She is entirely standard, no mods at all. But I expect there will soon be a getterback attached.
It's the latest phantom 2 and my switches were set to the middle as per the instructions for novices. Thank for helping.

I'm waiting on dji for a diagnosis
It's brand new and I've flown it twice a day for two weeks, photoing sunrise and sunset. I've had no previous problems at all, I'm definatly using it as a camere platform, not a stunt plane. I'm cautious. It wasn't windy and she had flown perfectly for 15 mins, I was about to change batteries. She is entirely standard, no mods at all. But I expect there will soon be a getterback attached.
It's the latest phantom 2 and my switches were set to the middle as per the instructions for novices. Thank for helping.

not sure where you got novice advice to use middle switch position.
you were flying in ATTI not gps-atti .
It would be susceptible to the downdraft from props without gps and may have tipped it. In gps mode it would probably maintained control.

recommend setting for NAZA mode with IOC on and then fly with BOTH SWITCHES UP until comfortable otherwise.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20