Phantom Connection Broken...errors in app

Reaction score
I received my Phantom 2 Vision + on April 15th and it worked great for for 4 flights...
In the Android or iOS app I keep getting the "Phantom Connection Broken" error/warning. There is no loss of control
of the quad, in fact the flight parameters keep updating. The video on the screen stops and the battery level, gps sats darken...
Is anyone elso having this problem with the Vision +?
I called tech support in Cali and waited 2.5 hours on hold and then the tech said the unit is too new and to take it up
with DJI online sales, which is where I bought it from. He thought it was the app and that their Engineers were working on
a new release. He could not tell me the ETA.
I emailed [email protected] and hopefully will here from them soon.

I did take it up to 1660 feet without issue when it worked...It is really an awesome device...

Thanks for any help...

if you are flying anywhere near where you have normal wifi access, like your house for example you want to make sure you tell your phone to forget your home wifi network info. Also you want to set your phone so that it does not auto join available wifi networks in the area. It could be jumping over to other networks if it thinks it will get a better connection or it may think there is an issue with that connection because internet is not available over it and try to switch to another available network.

another thing you can do is scan the area with a wifi scanner either on your phone or laptop to see what wifi access points are in the area and if there are any near by using the same wifi channel as your phantom that could be interfering. You could have been flying good this morning but then at noon, your neighbor got home from bestbuy with a new wifi router for his home that is using the same channels that your phantom are trying to use.

just my thoughts.

I updated my software on my iPad but have not updated the software on my P2V as I live near an airport. Ive never had probs with my connection breaking but yesterday when I flew I too had the exact same error.

The image on my screen fronze in black and white, however I was still getting telemetry which was lucky as my battery warning still worked and I managed to land before the **** thing landed itself somewhere less desirable.

Im putting it down to my app having the lastest software and my P2V not. I want to upgrade my P2V but am concerned that I might not be able to take off where I live. Im close to an airport but not close enough, however the parameters that DJI use will most likely mean my P2V will be rendered useless at home.

walexx said:
I updated my software on my iPad but have not updated the software on my P2V as I live near an airport. Ive never had probs with my connection breaking but yesterday when I flew I too had the exact same error.

The image on my screen fronze in black and white, however I was still getting telemetry which was lucky as my battery warning still worked and I managed to land before the **** thing landed itself somewhere less desirable.

Im putting it down to my app having the lastest software and my P2V not. I want to upgrade my P2V but am concerned that I might not be able to take off where I live. Im close to an airport but not close enough, however the parameters that DJI use will most likely mean my P2V will be rendered useless at home.

You live within 1.5 miles of a major airport or 0.6 miles from a small airport?
If so I can understand how you would want to be able to fly at home, but you also should remember that this is restricted air space and should not be flying in it even with the old firmware.

I'm wondering if you would be able to get it to fly with GPS mode off so it doesn't know its location for example if you wanted to fly inside your home.

Thanks for the replays.

MikesToolz-It has happened at my home and at a park. Tomorrow I will try forgetting my home network to see if that makes
a diiference.

It just seems very odd that it connected so good and now not so much. Once it connects with my phone or iPad right next to
to the video antenna, I would think it would be robust enough not to loose it.

Can many wifi devices in the areas searching for a wifi point give the Phantom trouble?

I have a Canon 6D and when I connect to their app directly with a phone's wifi it never drops...

I'm just saying you want to try and control it as much as possible so that the phantom wifi is the only one it knows and is capable of joining.

Home wifi should be forgotten if flying at home.

also some phones can be set to auto join any nearby open wifi, like if your park has an open wifi for example.

When the phantom starts flying away from your location you don't want your phone thinking the signal is getting weaker let me see if I can join one of these other stronger signals in the area.

I'm not saying this is what happened I'm just saying this is something to keep in mind. While I have never flown a DJI phantom as of yet (mine will get here next week) I do have a lot of experience flying the A.R. Drones that rely fully on the iphone/ipad app and wifi for flying. With the A.R. Drones this is something you really have to stay on top of because if it happens, the drone just lands at whatever location it is currently over, It does not return to home like the phantom even though the app has a RTH button.

MikesTooLz said:
walexx said:

You live within 1.5 miles of a major airport or 0.6 miles from a small airport?
If so I can understand how you would want to be able to fly at home, but you also should remember that this is restricted air space and should not be flying in it even with the old firmware.

I'm wondering if you would be able to get it to fly with GPS mode off so it doesn't know its location for example if you wanted to fly inside your home.

Id say I live within 1.5-2 miles but Im not under any flight path and I fly away from the direction of the airport. Id never ever want to fly near it as just the thought of a fly away in the direction of the airport is enough to freak me out. Where I live there is a lot of new highrise buildings being constructed and thats why i got my P2V, it was to take updates of the construction work, so yeah its a bit of a bummer as Im just in a bad spot when it comes to the new flight restrictions built into the new software.

As to the reason for the drop out, I think I might keep an eye on my wifi too, but in my case Im still pretty convinced its a software clash with old and new as Ive never had any issues prior to updating my IOS software.

Tried forgetting home network and still got very consistent video drops...at only a few feet away from each other.

I am curious what DJI's response will be tonight...Could be app or possible exchange.

I have a few ideas I will try later today.

DBSAM said:
Tried forgetting home network and still got very consistent video drops...at only a few feet away from each other.

I am curious what DJI's response will be tonight...Could be app or possible exchange.

The first idea you want to be trying is downgrade the app as many people on different forums are reporting trouble with latest version of the app and after reverting back to the previous version the problem disappears.

thanks for everyone's ideas.

The last three flights have been perfect without one loss connection...

What worked was doing all of these on my Note2...
Under Wifi settings, turning off Network Notification when open networks are available AND forgetting home networks AND rebooting.

I tried forgetting home network and just trying the DJI vision app and it still lost the Phantom connection, it was not until I rebooted the phone did it work.

Hope this can help others...

Madwak said:
DBSAM said:

The first idea you want to be trying is downgrade the app as many people on different forums are reporting trouble with latest version of the app and after reverting back to the previous version the problem disappears.

How do you "downgrade" an app? I've had some problems, but not horrible. My range seems to be a little over 1000' over water so I question that. I've been so f'ing happy with the video results though I just kind of forget everything else! :D

I LOVE this thing!

Below is a solution that was recommended by DJI support. If you have the same issue, please contact DJI support. The more people create tickets for it, the faster a fix for the App will be released. They already have a beta version of the app.

To correct this issue we would suggest changing the phone over to airplane mode then turn the phone over to wifi. This will prevent signal interference from the phones service provider. Once this has been done we would suggest going into the app settings and change the FPV preview settings to a lower Frames per second rate to decrease the amount of data streaming through the app.

Please be aware that the hardware of the unit is working correctly. This issue is with the App it self.

We hope you have found this information helpful.
After doing this, I have noticed that some times, before flying the connection is still broken, but it is restored during flying time and never break during the flight.

Have fun and safe flying.

Since downgrading to v 3.09 and doing the above recommended phone settings mine works 95% off the time. Make sure the extenders flat surface is pointing at your phantom which means turning around to face it when flying behind you. If you start to get drop outs do this quickly or it will take some time to get back. Also I have found if I am standing near a large metal water tank it interferes so look out for certain structures that maybe causing issue. In saying that some times it will freeze before even take off and a phone restart fixes it.
I make a habit now to close all applications and clear phone ram before hand and this helps a lot.
Samsung galaxy S3

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31