Phantom as carry on luggage

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has some tips to carry my Phantom as carry-on. eg should the batteries be fully discharged

Doesn't matter. They don't care. Flew to Hawaii didn't even open my backpack.

I agree with Julius. Doesn't matter. I've taken the drone on 2 international flights with full batteries. I had Mexican airport security look at it with some minor curiosity once but nothing more. TSA doesn't care nor does customs. Just pack it securely and don't let it get crushed in the overhead compartment.

I carried my P3P from USA > UK in its original box, battery fully charged. Not a single question asked from security. A boat load of questions from other travelers though :) - Adam

Just wondering if anyone has some tips to carry my Phantom as carry-on. eg should the batteries be fully discharged
Keep in mind the FAA has a 2 battery rule per passenger for any Lithiums of that size in carry-ons. All the TSA people don't know it, but they can potentially stop you for 3 or more batteries. Normally, I will have one battery in my checked Phantom (NO extra bats are allowed in checked luggage- only the one that is physically IN the device) then I have 2 batteries in my carry-on, and my wife (when she's travelling with me) has one in her carry-on for 4 batteries total. I also like to keep a copy of those FAA rules handy just in case anyone challenges me. So far no one's blinked.

Reactions: snowghost
So far I've had no problems within the US and Canada, England, Scotland, Ireland, Nepal and UAE. In many of the flights they didn't even look at it and when they did it was cursory and they never counted batteries or asked about charge state (except a guy in Montreal asked if they were charged enough to give him a demo!) Keeping a copy of the rules with me and splitting batteries between people sounds like a good idea.

Reactions: skyhighdiver
Another vote for they don't care.

Canada + Bahamas (Grand Cayman Islands) were my destinations via plane. Carried on both times in either a backpack or a small hardcase (Bluerex case) and had no issues.

A few of the guys running the scanning stuff asked some questions and thought it was cool, but I had no issues.

Having just looked through the tutorial material, they recommend discharging the batteries before transporting them. I don't suspect security or FAA would ever check for this, but from a safety perspective this seems like a good idea to me as it greatly reduces the chance of a battery causing a fire. You might not get called on it either way, but it seems like a good practice.

Keep in mind the FAA has a 2 battery rule per passenger for any Lithiums of that size in carry-ons. All the TSA people don't know it, but they can potentially stop you for 3 or more batteries. Normally, I will have one battery in my checked Phantom (NO extra bats are allowed in checked luggage- only the one that is physically IN the device) then I have 2 batteries in my carry-on, and my wife (when she's travelling with me) has one in her carry-on for 4 batteries total. I also like to keep a copy of those FAA rules handy just in case anyone challenges me. So far no one's blinked.

No issues with the Phantom being checked in? I have a GoProfessional case which packs her in pretty good. Just worry that they would throw it around etc.

Even if they don't care, I discharged mine, for safety of all onboard, including myself, despite being put in fireproof bags. They scanned the quad three times at security at Warsaw airport, just in case, but no issues at all with more than two batteries. On the way back from Canary Islands, there were no issues at all. I would never put the batteries in the checked-in luggage though, I would always put in hand luggage, just in case.

You should not take full batteries on the plane. Discharge them to 50% or more.

You should not take full batteries on the plane. Discharge them to 50% or more.

Documentation reference?

In carry on they will be at room temperature and 6000-8000 feet altitude cabin pressure. I can see the danger in extremes of temperature, but I have not seen any references to altitude issues.

Reactions: skyhighdiver
Dead or fully charged, a LiPo batter is equally dangerous. The danger is due to the lithium. Not so much the electricity. Granted a shorted battery is a problem, but thats the case in any battery. A LiPo should never be allowed to be drained.

It's not a issue with cabin pressure. The battery is simply more stable at 50% than at 100% and in case of accidental discharge would only have half the potential. However, even more important is to pack them properly. Use LiPo bags, isolate the terminals and don't transport any damaged batteries.

Reactions: ctp and Steve Moore
Been thru TSA many times with the P3. I have it in the original box in a canvass bag. They never even pulled the box out of the bag.

Even if they don't care, I discharged mine, for safety of all onboard, including myself, despite being put in fireproof bags. They scanned the quad three times at security at Warsaw airport, just in case, but no issues at all with more than two batteries. On the way back from Canary Islands, there were no issues at all. I would never put the batteries in the checked-in luggage though, I would always put in hand luggage, just in case.
Sorry- I should have said that is a US FAA rule about not more than 2 batteries that size in carry-on, and NO spare batteries in checked luggage (only the one in your drone).

No issues with the Phantom being checked in? I have a GoProfessional case which packs her in pretty good. Just worry that they would throw it around etc.
I always use either the GoProfessional hard case or the backpack made by DronePacks inside my suitcase. Mainly I use the backpack since the hard case takes so much room. Tons of protection!

You should assume they will throw it around, but in that case or a really good backpack inside a suitcase, you shouldn't have a problem. These drones are designed to take some hard hits.

It's not a issue with cabin pressure. The battery is simply more stable at 50% than at 100% and in case of accidental discharge would only have half the potential. However, even more important is to pack them properly. Use LiPo bags, isolate the terminals and don't transport any damaged batteries.
I'm going to start using the 50% rule. It can't hurt to be a little more safe. . . . and batteries are more stable at 50% than full, though I can't say by how much.

The rules are very simple..... Batteries must be in your carry on luggage.. Thats it... I took 5 Batteries to a recent trip to the Dominican Republic.. All fully charged(100%) inside safe lipo bags i got from Amazon.. Checked in my Vision+. TSA didn't even bother to ask about my batteries.....

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav